"Sovereign of the Seas"- April 3-7, 2006

We just returned home from our trip to Florida and a 4-day cruise on the Sovereign. We had a very good cruise-our first with RCI. Hats off to RCI for putting together a fun-filled cruise.

We sailed on April 3- the sailaway buffet in the Windjammer was delicious with lots of international choices. The newly refurbished Windjammer is great.

The refurbished Sovereign is classy with comfortable spaces and furniture. The Centrum has a library on one side and an Internet area on the other-good relaxing places. The ship is easy to get around on and rarely crowded except at the pool area on a sea day.

The staterooms are on the small side, but comfortable (we had a Superior Oceanview on Deck 9)- my daughter had an Oceanview on Deck 4. Our steward was pleasant, humorous, and helpful. Everything was clean.

The evening dining experience was consistently good. Our waiter, from Croatia, was an entertainer! He marched in the finale of 52 nations.

CocoCay was beautiful-we had 85 degree weather-very good swimming place. We liked Nassau and will be going back again. We took the ship's Atlantis excursion and then went to Ardastra Gardens on our own. My daughter took the sailing and snorkle trip.

The Captain was Vidar Solem- I have lots and lots of onfo-so ask any questions & I'll try to find an answer. April

Hey April! We are leaving on Monday on the Sovereign. We are also on deck 9. I can't wait! Where did you do sail-a-way from? We will either do my parents balcony, or somewhere on deck. Did you have early dinner? We do, and I was just wondering about the timing of dinner the first night with sail-a-way. Also, did you get your luggage before dinner? Thanks, Diana

Thanks for the review. Do you remember your waiter's name? I was on Sovereign in January and it was great! Our waiter, Tomislav from Croatia made dinner very entertaining every night...I fell in love with him! LOL (DH really thought he as great too.) :p

kitty

Some answers:

We boarded the ship at 1 p.m. Good embarkation.

We stayed pre-Cruise at the Courtyard Lake Buena Vista near relatives on their vacation.

We stayed post-Cruise at the Radisson Resort at the Port.

Sailaway we watched from the deck above the pool deck.

We had early dinner at 6:00 p.m. Our luggage was in front of our door by 2 p.m., but others were still waiting for theirs.

Our waiter was Suad from Croatia. very fun guy.

Also, want to mention that we enjoyed listening to Rosario Strings- a very talented group from the Phillipines. Bolero's Lounge has alot of fun stuff going on. Elvis from Chile is a good host- if you like music, games etc. The Sovereign offered lots of choices-try Johnny Rockets for lunch-the waiters dance!

Since you stayed at Raddison at port, please tell me about their cruise package if you purchased it. The one that includes free shuttle and stuff. Is the hotel worth the $$$? We are thinking of overnighting there for our Mariner cruise...even though we only live 45 mins from port hehe :)

To answer the question about the Radisson:

We stayed at the Radisson post-cruise, so we didn't have the cruise package.

We found it very comfortable. We had the breakfast buffet, a late lunch, and a second breakfast there and liked all of the meals.

The grounds are attractive, with a large pool, a children's pool, and a whirlpool.

Hey April! We are leaving on Monday on the Sovereign. We are also on deck 9. I can't wait! Where did you do sail-a-way from? We will either do my parents balcony, or somewhere on deck. Did you have early dinner? We do, and I was just wondering about the timing of dinner the first night with sail-a-way. Also, did you get your luggage before dinner? Thanks, Diana

where are you on deck nine? I am gathering info regarding oceanview from deck nine.

Thanks

:):)

More about our Sovereign cruise:

This was my fifth cruise and I found the food to be as good as on any other cruise. We have had good dining experiences in general. We had seafood & fish dishes; we especially liked the Shrimp Scampi dinner. We had shrimp cocktail, salads, and a variety of desserts-including our favorite, warm chocolate cake.

We had Early Bird Coffee, breakfasts in the Windjammer, sailaway lunch in the Windjammer, a lunch at Johnny Rockets which was super fun, the BBQ on CocoCay, and a lunch at the Shark Bites Express (no kidding) at the Atlantis.

We didn't even have time to try the pizza! Our days were very full- from early coffee to some kind of music in the evening. We liked the entertainment choices- there were lots of choices.

Hope you all enjoy the food and entertainment as much as we did.

April: What kind of food did they serve at Shark Bites Express? We are planning to spend the day at Atlantis seeing the dig and Aquarium and may decide to eat there instead of running back to the ship....Although we have been to Nassau before we have never been to Altantis..Any info will be much appreciated...Later Jill:cool:

Hi- We had the all-American lunch of hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries, and soda at Shark Bites Express. We had a coupon for the lunch, so that was the offering, and it tasted pretty good after a morning on the beach with 88 degrees & sun. There are many restaurants at Atlantis.

Have fun at The Dig and Aquarium.

Hi- We had the all-American lunch of hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries, and soda at Shark Bites Express. We had a coupon for the lunch, so that was the offering, and it tasted pretty good after a morning on the beach with 88 degrees & sun. There are many restaurants at Atlantis.

Have fun at The Dig and Aquarium.

We'll be on the Sovereign in a couple of weeks and are debating on if seeing the digs at Atlantis is enough or if we should go ahead and do to the room at Comfort Inn thing so that we can spend the whole day on the waterslides, in the pools, etc. It will just be me and my daughter (age 14). Any thoughts on that? I noticed you said that you went to the beach. Was this the tour offerred thru the cruiseline or did you go to the beach on your own after visiting the digs? Did the slides and pools look like something to that is worth spending an extra $150 for to spend the day at?

We took the ship's excursion "Atlantis Harbor Tour & Beach Break." The beach was nice, but the surf was up, and swimming was ify-and we are swimmers.

The pools looked great, so we would book the Comfort Suites another time, as our excursion was $78 per person. Yikes! (It was worth it, for a first time, as beach chair, towel, lunch, and aquarium fee, plus transportation to and fro were included.)

I am so glad to hear good things about the sovereign! I am going to the bahamas in april '07. so you say that the SO's are bigger than the OV's.

so far 3 people are staying in a interior stateroom but I think that may be way to small- thoughts anyone?

what about the JS, I'm considering upgrading to the GS is it worth it?

Archived