? Uvero Beach Costa Maya

june2006

Hi!

Has anyone been to Uvero Beach in Costa Maya? (Jungle Beach Break on Carnival excursion). We will be swimming with the dolphins there and I wanted to know how the beach was ... is it worth staying or leaving to visit somewhere else. Also, what is a good place to shop in Costa Maya? Is there a place close to where you have to board back onto the ship? Also is Mahajhual on the way back to the ship? So many questions :o

Thanks in advance, Gail

Hi Gail! UveroBeach itself was very nice. The food and people there were very nice, and the transportation to get back to the boat was very easy. (Although it was a 30-40 minute ride back to the pier)

We had done the Uvero Boat Blast and Snorkeling (through Carnival) and were extremely disappointed with the excursion however, and would not recommend it. If you are looking to Snorkel I don't think this is the best spot for it, but could be wrong. After the speed boat ride (about 100-150 feet off shore) we docked the boats and were brought to snorkel. In the 15-20 minutes we spent snorkeling we saw 2-3 fish tops. The majority of our time was spent trying to stay perfectly horizontal to avoid hitting the coral.

Due to the timing of our excursion we didn't get to spend any time relaxing on the beach, but heard from others it was nice. We did manage to have a glass (or two) of tasty rum punch before heading back to the pier.

I'm pretty sure that in the shopping plaza at Costa Maya you were able to buy tickets to go to UveroBeach there as well as booking through Carnival, but can't guarantee it.

Hope this helps!

-Kaitlin

Hi Kate,

Thank you ... we signed up for the dolphin swim there with the ship, it includes the use of the beach after and open bar ... if the beach wasn't worth the stay we would venture somewhere else but sounds like we may stay to enjoy it as the swim is from 9:30-11:30 and leaving in time to hit shopping will be better planned as you gave me a good time line ... :cool:

You are welcome! The other thing there, is the the food is priced very reasonably, and was pretty tasty. (I think it was more hotdogs & hamburgers..) Prices were much better than the food at the pier, and might help counteract the free 'local beverages'. I'm pretty sure it was cash only there though.

The beach is alright. Not spectacular. Not horrid. Just okay.

However, the rainbow drinks they serve there make the excursion more than worth it ;)

A good place to shop is at the pier. Great area and best pier area I've been to thus far.

:p We did the boat and snorkel tour as well. We had a blast. Just a little scary on the bus ride- they drive very fast and the rode is narrow (on coming traffic is when it gets scary!) The only place to shop is the pier, I found a couple of good deals. This is not a large shopping area. The locals were nice, but a little pushy for my taste. The water is beautiful. This port is only a few years old, so it will take time to develop. But over all a nice place to visit.

Hi, my family and I were in Costa Maya 2 weeks ago and did a last minute excursion that we booked right at the Costa Maya pier. It was a great deal and swimming with the dolphins was an unforgettable experience - probably the best excursion we did on the cruise. After the dolphin swim, we stayed at Uvero beach for open bar. I think the beach was nice, although had its share of sea grass while we were there, but still nice. There is a pier at this beach which is where the dolphins are. My husband snorkeled there and said there were many fish right under the dock once you get passed the sea grass. He even found a cannon underwater which was so cool. There are buses that take you back on the hour so you can leave when you want and get back to the Costa Maya pier. They are right about the bus drivers going fast ... I just didn't watch :eek: You will love the dolphin swim. Hope this was helpful. I really want to go back! Costa Maya was our favorite stop. Cathy

Please read my thread on costa maya. I do have to say the shopping part of costa maya was good, but you have to bargain with them something that was 35 dollars I got for 20 dollars. My thread is Jungle beach break.

June I am having trouble finding my own thread. I think they must have taken it off, because I spoke so horribly about our jungle beach break excursion. I spoke to a rep last night and we are getting our 100 dollars back. I heard there is a really nice beach about 3 miles away for a 3 dollar cab ride. I didn't hear to many people do swimming with the dolpins. The jeep ride was very popular,we should have done that. Have a good trip.

CMKMKRK ... thank you for writing back as I too couldn't find your thread. Glad you are getting your $ back. I think I know of the beach for the $3 ride, begins with an M. The most important thing is the swim, what's another $3 for a nicer beach. Thank you :)

My husband and I went on the Uvero Beach Blast excursion through Carnival two years ago. It took about 45 minutes to get there, which we weren't crazy about. On the way there, we passed an open air truck full of men with guns in the back. A little scary. Once we got there, the beach itself was very nice with a place for buying food and drinks. The bathrooms were okay but not great. If you're looking to just hang out and don't mind the 1 1/5 hour roundtrip, this might be your thing. This year I think we're going to try Majahual instead.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Glory 5/2006

Miracle 4/2004

Pride 8/2002

Going through CCL for the dolphin excursion with the beach open bar for 159 ... Cathy how much was it from the pier?

cmkmkrk I am going to try to find your thread ... still learning

It was a last minute thing we decided to do when we got to Costa Maya. There were 4 of us, and we paid $115 for 3 of us, 4th free. After the dolphin swim, we stayed at Uvero Beach for the rest of the afternoon until we headed back. It was an awesome day for us. Cathy

We just took the Uvero Beach tour with the boat ride out to the reef to snorkle. It was very expensive and disappointing. In the cruise brochure, it was a 45 minute boat ride and a 45 minute snorkle with the rest of the day staying on the beach. It turned out that the bus was late to pick us up. When we arrived at the beach, the tours ahead of us were running late. We sat waiting at under a tent for more than an hour. When the boats finally came back, we rode straight out to the reef in the boats (about a 6 minute ride), then we snorkled for about 15 minutes. We were then hurried back to the beach, and put on a bus. The whole beach was cleared out by then. So our day at the beach was a wash out. It was the worst day of the trip. --- If you go, make sure you know that you can get on an earlier bus to ride out to the beach. That way you can spend the day there waiting for your tour (not back at the ship). Just go down the pier to the area where people get onto buses. Have your tour ticket and make sure to get on the right bus.

• 4 months later...

Can you tell me more about the dolphin swim? My husband and two kids (7 and 9) will be doing it. I will be staying behind with our little one. Can you take pictures? video? etc.. Are you wearing life jackets? How deep is the water? etc.. My girls are SO EXCITED!!!

We did the Beach Break from Carnival here. We loved it. You won't see tons of fish as there really isn't a reef. There's more sea grass til you get out about 50 yards off shore. Then it's sandy and there are TONS of 3 to 4 pound STARFISH everywhere!!! We'd dive and pick them up and that was worth the snorkel there alone. We snorkeled out to the dolphin pens and could see them only 5 feet in front of us seperated by two fences. Even though we couldn't touch them we were close enough to hear them "talking" and watch them jump and interact with those who chose to pay to do it.

There's a FREE bar here too on the Carnival excursion. All you can drink FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!! After a week of $4.75 beers it's worth it to go to Uvero Beach.....

The worst part? A 40 minute bus ride...it was nice and cool on the big motorcoach going out there...but the one we got on coming back the A/C was out and you couldn't open the windows.

Archived