Sapphire Princess .. Sydney to LA April '07

Atlantic Seabreeze

Just booked the April 2007, 29 day Sydney to LA cruise and was told there were only a few inside cabins left and am waitlisted for an outside cabin. How could that be? Has anyone else in the Cruise Critic world gotten that same response or is it just my booking agent's sales pitch.:rolleyes:

In April, 2005 I tried to book the cruise for this year..........the Diamond is doing the same cruise this month. Only difference is that it ends in San Francisco versus LA. When I tried to book it, I was told the same thing.......only insides were available. So I booked the one for next year on the Sapphire........almost 2 years prior to the cruise!!

The problem is that Princess only sails this itinerary once a year. So it is a popular cruise and it sells out fast! Glad you at least got a cabin. If you go, hopefully we will meet on board!

Jamie

Hey Carol -- we have a thread up and running with about 40 names posting already -- come join us

Earl

Hi Earl,

Glad you spotted my message. :) How do I join the thread?:o

So happy to see you two will be on this one. Anyone else we already know? I looked into a pre-cruise tour and was told it was sold out. Couldn't believe more than a year out and it wasn't possible. So we'll be looking for something of interest in Australia a few days before sailing; what about you two?

Carol

Hi Earl,

Glad you spotted my message. :) How do I join the thread?:o

So happy to see you two will be on this one. Anyone else we already know? I looked into a pre-cruise tour and was told it was sold out. Couldn't believe more than a year out and it wasn't possible. So we'll be looking for something of interest in Australia a few days before sailing; what about you two?

Carol

Carol,

I am going to help Earl by answering.........here a link to the roll call!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=190618

Jamie

Jamie, in april 2005 the 2007 listing was still 5 months ( approx 4th sept) away in UK. I tried to book the 07 on 14th sept to be told sold out! Now strange thing is just 8 weeks ago the Diamond sailing this week suddenly came on special offer in UK, & I could not get my wife to agree to go!

Jamie, in april 2005 the 2007 listing was still 5 months ( approx 4th sept) away in UK. I tried to book the 07 on 14th sept to be told sold out! Now strange thing is just 8 weeks ago the Diamond sailing this week suddenly came on special offer in UK, & I could not get my wife to agree to go!

Minke,

My guess is that cabins came available on the Diamond sailing when final payment was due. That would be around 8-10 weeks prior to the cruise.

Did you grab one of the insides for the 07 sailing? My guess is that you can probably upgrade your cabin when final payment is due and people cancel.

Jamie

No Jamie, as I said we were told sold out, at least at the offer price, could have booked at $1200 more, no way! We are on the Whittier-Osaka cruise instead this year.

I was just trying to explain what I thought was the reason for the last minute availability on the Diamond. :confused:

I am totally confused by your original post. The Diamond is doing the sailing in a few weeks and the Sapphire is next year. I still think the Diamond (which was sold out) had people cancel when final pay was due -- thus the reason for the last minute offer. The same could happen with the Sapphire.

Or maybe I still don't understand what you are trying to say.

The Diamond sailed last w/e from Sydney & that is the offer we had in UK 8 weeks before departure. Agree it was cancelled or more likely cabins returned unsold by block booking tour operators. So yes it could possibly happen next year with Sapphire, but that would still leave me with the problem of getting my wife to fly to Australia! My original point was to get those of you in USA to realise how well you are treated in comparison to us in UK! on sale april USA, on sale UK sept! on top of that you have better terms as well.

The Diamond sailed last w/e from Sydney & that is the offer we had in UK 8 weeks before departure. Agree it was cancelled or more likely cabins returned unsold by block booking tour operators. So yes it could possibly happen next year with Sapphire, but that would still leave me with the problem of getting my wife to fly to Australia! My original point was to get those of you in USA to realise how well you are treated in comparison to us in UK! on sale april USA, on sale UK sept! on top of that you have better terms as well.

Got it!! I am so sorry to hear that they wait so long to open the cruises to you. What does it matter that you live in the UK? Strange!!!

Archived