A Birthday when there isn't one ...

Undrhil

I was wondering how upset Carnival would be if I decided to celebrate my birthday on my upcoming cruise in May. The only major drawback that I can see is that my birthday is really in June. Would I be able to do this or does my birthday actually have to fall on a day I'm cruising before I can have it on the cruise?

Undrhil

I was wondering how upset Carnival would be if I decided to celebrate my birthday on my upcoming cruise in May. The only major drawback that I can see is that my birthday is really in June. Would I be able to do this or does my birthday actually have to fall on a day I'm cruising before I can have it on the cruise?

Undrhil

Why would they care? They don't do anything special unless you buy something special :p I'm sure they really don't care, if you want to buy a cake and have them sing, they aren't going to ask when your birthday is...

Actually, I was asking because on Carnival's website, when you go through the FunPass registration, you can earmark a day on the cruise for a special occasion. I was just curious if I could earmark it as my birthday even though it really isn't my birthday. And, yes, I know they no longer give a free cake, but I will buy a cake just to celebrate. :)

EDIT: OK, now I'm confused. I just went back through the FunPass section and I don't see that place anywhere. So, um ... how would I go about letting them know I want to celebrate my birthday a month early? :-D

EDIT 2: Found it! It's under Modify Booking and, since I booked through a PVP over the phone, I would have to call in to make the request anyway. :)

Undrhil

Actually, I was asking because on Carnival's website, when you go through the FunPass registration, you can earmark a day on the cruise for a special occasion. I was just curious if I could earmark it as my birthday even though it really isn't my birthday. And, yes, I know they no longer give a free cake, but I will buy a cake just to celebrate. :)

Undrhil

You can mark it yes or no, it doesn't matter... they should just remove that from the funpass and docs... Heck, you could consider every Thursday a special occasion, they wouldn't know or care :p Just order a cake, and include in the notes that you want it delivered to dinner, on which night... they will automatically sing when you buy a cake, lucky you :p Have fun!!!

Just saw your edit. I wasn't going to say anything because I had never seen anything like that on the funpass! LOL!!

This is going to sound harsh, but I don't know how to say it, but know that I am not saying it in this tone!! LOL! They don't care that you are celebrating your bday... early, late or on time, they simply don't care, LOL. If you order a cake (they get some money), they somewhat care and will sing you a cute little song. If you want to celebrate your bday at any time of the year, go for it!!

I went on the Sensation for my 40th birthday last September, but my actual birthday was in November. My cabin was decorated, with a cake, and they sang to me at dinner. The cabin decorations and cake was from the CEO of Carnival, and he even knew that I was celebrating my birthday 2 months early.

I went on the Sensation for my 40th birthday last September, but my actual birthday was in November. My cabin was decorated, with a cake, and they sang to me at dinner. The cabin decorations and cake was from the CEO of Carnival, and he even knew that I was celebrating my birthday 2 months early.

LOL, don't make everyone start believing that this is the norm! LOL!!!!

You can mark it yes or no, it doesn't matter... they should just remove that from the funpass and docs... Heck, you could consider every Thursday a special occasion, they wouldn't know or care :p Just order a cake, and include in the notes that you want it delivered to dinner, on which night... they will automatically sing when you buy a cake, lucky you :p Have fun!!!

Just saw your edit. I wasn't going to say anything because I had never seen anything like that on the funpass! LOL!!

This is going to sound harsh, but I don't know how to say it, but know that I am not saying it in this tone!! LOL! They don't care that you are celebrating your bday... early, late or on time, they simply don't care, LOL. If you order a cake (they get some money), they somewhat care and will sing you a cute little song. If you want to celebrate your bday at any time of the year, go for it!!

Yes, but did you see my *second* edit? :) I am going to call my PVP in the morning and ask her to make that change for me. I *want* my birthday to be celebrated! I'm not too old to not want that yet! :-D

Undrhil

Yes, but did you see my *second* edit? :) I am going to call my PVP in the morning and ask her to make that change for me. I *want* my birthday to be celebrated! I'm not too old to not want that yet! :-D

Undrhil

You can call and tell her anything you want... but Carnival won't celebrate it (unless you have some compelling reason for Bob to send you something :p) Why not just order a cake and have them sing? I guess I don't understand why you are so adamant about Carnival knowing you want to celebrate your birthday... but to each their own :D

LOL, don't make everyone start believing that this is the norm! LOL!!!!

I felt really special:) But, you are right, this is NOT the norm, so I hope no one thinks this happens for everyone.;) I just happened to e-mail him with several questions concerning a prior cruise, and this was a "thank you" for the feedback I gave him.:)

I felt really special:) But, you are right, this is NOT the norm, so I hope no one thinks this happens for everyone.;) I just happened to e-mail him with several questions concerning a prior cruise, and this was a "thank you" for the feedback I gave him.:)

LOL, you know how people on this board are!! Poor Bob is going to get 1000 letters next week ya know :p Glad it all worked out for ya! I know of a few people that have had something special done for them on their cruise, and it really does make for a special cruise!! He is a great guy!!

Well darn this year is my 40th and actually the week AFTER I cruise is Mothers Day........Think I can get anything out of it since this is really my Birthday/Mothers Day vacation??

Elle

p.s. hehehe Let's see where to start...Free Spa...Free Drinks....Free cake..Free clothing Oh what the heck Let me gamble for free and keep the winnings

Well darn this year is my 40th and actually the week AFTER I cruise is Mothers Day........Think I can get anything out of it since this is really my Birthday/Mothers Day vacation??

Elle

p.s. hehehe Let's see where to start...Free Spa...Free Drinks....Free cake..Free clothing Oh what the heck Let me gamble for free and keep the winnings

Well, I turn 40 in 5 years, and I am going to go ahead and celebrate it in October!!!! So there :p I'm shooting for the moon baby, I want a free cruise!! :D If you are going to dream, dream big, LOL!

Elle

Happy 40th birthday!!! How do you gamble for free??:confused:

Undrhil, let me be the first to wish you a very happy birthday!!

My mother turns 70 two weeks before we leave in May, we'll celebrate.

I'm going in May and September, turn 50 in August. Will celebrate this on both.

Carnival isn't going to make your birthday, you and yours are!! Enjoy.

Remember back when, not so long ago, when you received a free cake for your special occasion?

They did not care if it was really your birthday, as long as it was close.

Yup! But thanks to way too many people celebrating an occasion when it really wasn't one, they don't do that anymore :p They didn't care when your bday was, or if you even had one. I remember seeing SOOO many cakes just sitting on tables, barely touched. You could not make it 2 minutes in the dining room without a song and a cake coming out. So much waste. I'm SO glad they did away with it!!!!

Seriously, if you can even think about taking a BITE of a cake after all the food they serve, more power to ya! LOL!!!!

Yup! But thanks to way too many people celebrating an occasion when it really wasn't one, they don't do that anymore :p They didn't care when your bday was, or if you even had one. I remember seeing SOOO many cakes just sitting on tables, barely touched. You could not make it 2 minutes in the dining room without a song and a cake coming out. So much waste. I'm SO glad they did away with it!!!!

Seriously, if you can even think about taking a BITE of a cake after all the food they serve, more power to ya! LOL!!!!

It is neither here nor there to me, but they could go back to celebrations for those with birthdays on board. In this wonderful information age, and Homeland security, you better believe your birth date is there on file - a mere click away. Other occasions (??sp??) are not so easily identifiable and I can see the issue there. But, a birthday?

It is neither here nor there to me, but they could go back to celebrations for those with birthdays on board. In this wonderful information age, and Homeland security, you better believe your birth date is there on file - a mere click away. Other occasions (??sp??) are not so easily identifiable and I can see the issue there. But, a birthday?

Sure, you have to give them your DOB to even cruise... the maitre'd and waiters don't ask for that info... they won't do it automatically, because they have no clue if you will be there or not... so you ask for it, and there is no sense in them having to check everyone's date of birth to see if they are legit... BUT why give away a cake, when they don't get eaten??? As if people didn't have enough to eat during the week... LOL. If I have an occasion that is THAT important to me, I certainly don't mind forking out the $7 for the cake... it's the price of a foo foo drink, and I'm more inclined to eat it, if I pay for it ;)

Either way... cake fills you up... I need room for shots :D LOL!!

Sure, you have to give them your DOB to even cruise... the maitre'd and waiters don't ask for that info... they won't do it automatically, because they have no clue if you will be there or not... so you ask for it, and there is no sense in them having to check everyone's date of birth to see if they are legit... BUT why give away a cake, when they don't get eaten??? As if people didn't have enough to eat during the week... LOL. If I have an occasion that is THAT important to me, I certainly don't mind forking out the $7 for the cake... it's the price of a foo foo drink, and I'm more inclined to eat it, if I pay for it ;)

Either way... cake fills you up... I need room for shots :D LOL!!

I agree. I don't care much for sweets at all. Programaticly (again ??sp??) it would very easy to share the information with others. Maybe if they did share this information, we could be given the choice of a cake OR (are you ready??) shot/drink of choice!!:D

I agree. I don't care much for sweets at all. Programaticly (again ??sp??) it would very easy to share the information with others. Maybe if they did share this information, we could be given the choice of a cake OR (are you ready??) shot/drink of choice!!:D

I like the way you think!!! :D Let's send Uncle Bob a letter, and hopefully by my bday cruise, we'll have this implemented :D LOL!!!!!!!

I will actually be on my cruise on my real birthday! Woo Hoo.. I never even thought about saying anything... hmmmm... I'll bet out of all the people on any one cruise there has to be multiple people born the same day, it would be fun to have a big group party, but guess they could do that everyday and that won't happen! Maybe a cake or balloon would be nice, BUT I guess that I'll just happy to be on a CRUISE on MY BIRTHDAY : ) with my hubby!!

I like the way you think!!! :D Let's send Uncle Bob a letter, and hopefully by my bday cruise, we'll have this implemented :D LOL!!!!!!!

Develpment and implementation would take the longest. Build a laundry list to pick from (cake and drinks are both under $10), and go with it. Very small price to build some great good will.

Honestly, how many people on a ship are actually having a birthday?

I'll have the spicy BM.

Everyone in my husband's family has been on a cruise, but him. :( He has always wanted to go, but we just never had the opportunity. He turns 40 in May and he has no idea (he thinks we are going to PA to celebrate my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary) but I am surprising him with a cruise on the Glory. This will be our first cruise. We will be hiking through the rainforest and cave tubing in Belize on his 40th birthday! I would love it if Carnival wished him a happy 40th, just to make it a little extra special, but I'm not expecting it. People have birthdays all the time. After reading this post, I just couldn't resist sharing my surprise with someone since I can't tell him yet.:)

Everyone in my husband's family has been on a cruise, but him. :( He has always wanted to go, but we just never had the opportunity. He turns 40 in May and he has no idea (he thinks we are going to PA to celebrate my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary) but I am surprising him with a cruise on the Glory. This will be our first cruise. We will be hiking through the rainforest and cave tubing in Belize on his 40th birthday! I would love it if Carnival wished him a happy 40th, just to make it a little extra special, but I'm not expecting it. People have birthdays all the time. After reading this post, I just couldn't resist sharing my surprise with someone since I can't tell him yet.:)

Have a great time!! If you haven't already, order the bday decorations and cake!! It really is worth it!! I have the cake delivered to the cabin... for those late nights :D Carnival wished my bf a happy bday when we checked in once, but other than that... not much. It was up to me and others on the ship to make the day special, and it really was!!

good luck with the surprise!~

Archived