Bermuda Questions

I Luv Crusin

I would love to take a cruise to Bermuda next fall. As far as I can tell there are 3 cruiselines that go there regularly, Celebrity, NCL and RCI. My DH liked Holland America but I'll trying to weigh all options. I have some basic questions.

1) When does the fall 2007 schedule come out?

2) Is it rough getting to Bermuda that time of year?

3) How do teens do on a cruise like this? I'm thinking of taking my boys, they will be 18 and 17 at that time.

Is there anything I should know about cruising to Bermuda?

Thanks!

NCL's summer and fall intineraries for 2007 will be available soon, either later this month or during the month of May. Alaska's summers intineraries have recently been posted.

While the worst weather is in the winter months, bad weather can happen at any time, one must take chances. For example, the hurricane season is mostly during the summer and early fall months.

With its wonderful beaches and caves, I cannot see how teenagers won't like Bermuda.

The best ports of St. George and Hamilton are suitable for only the smaller older ships in the cruise line industry, so more than likely you won't be cruising on the newest and biggest ships if you are planning a weeks stay. However, the King's Warf port can handle the newest and largest ships, normally serving the short shore day stops on cruises to other islands.

We have cruised to Bermuda 4 times. Last Sept 24th we went on the Zenith. Older, smaller, but a great ship. We had a wonderful time. Service & food were great. We have been on Summit, one of Celebrity's larger ships too. Same great food & service. The first night on Zenith was a bit bumpy. We did not feel ill at all though. But, in the middle of the night, a picture fell off the cabin wall. The rest of the trip including the trip back was 'SMOOTH SAILING'! There is a lot to do. Swim with Dolphins, Helmut Dive, snorkeling tripes, zoo & aquarium, Swizzle Inn, Caves, shopping, etc. The beaches are the best. Especially Horseshoe Bay.

I'm comparing itineraries

NCL gets one day in each of 3 ports, King's Wharf, St. George, and Hamilton.

RCCL gets half day in St. George, two days at Hamilton

Celebrity gets two days Hamilton, one and a half days at St. George.

Everything I read says King's wharf is an inferior stop to the other two.

So I guess Celebrity Zenith looks best. I've done the Zenith before and liked it.

We have been to Bermuda 5 times with 4 of them, cruises. We've had a range of very smooth to moderately rough. So it's hard to predict what any particular cruise will be like. We have always had great weather in Bermuda, though.

On a cruise to Bermuda last Oct. the weather was absolutely beautiful, both on the cruise and on the island. The week before & after ours, the weather absolutely awful but most of the cruises to Bermuda are during hurricane season. But, the island rarely gets hit with hurricanes or tropical storms

We took our son to Bermuda when he was 16 and he had a great time but it was August during summer vacation and he made a lot of friends to hang out with, while on board.

Keep in mind that NCL is resort casual for dinner while Celebrity has 2 formal nights, 1 or 2 informal nights and 3 resort casual nights.

Bermuda is probably our most favorite cruise destination, since we love spending the overnights docked at the island and Bermuda is way too expensive, for us, as a land vacation. The rates are fantastic for a Fall cruise.

For the record, hurricane season starts June 1 and last until November 30.

Here's some data on the ships that have an extended stays in Bermuda.

Celebrity Zenith

Sailing from Bayonne

Year Built 1992

Tonnage 47,255 tons

Length 682 feet

Beam 95 feet

Passenger Capacity 1,374

Crew Size 670

Dinner Seatings 2

Seating Assignments Assigned

Dining Hours 6:15 p.m. & 8:30 p.m.

Dining Room Dress Code 7-night cruise: 2 formal, 2 semiformal, 3 casual. No shorts or jeans at night.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines Cabin steward/butler, $3.50 per person/day. Chief housekeeper, $0.50 per person/day. Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day. Restaurant manager, $0.75 per person/day.

Norwegian Crown

Sailing from Philadelphia and New York City

Year Built 1988

Tonnage 34,250 tons

Length 614 feet

Beam 93 feet

Passenger Capacity 1,104

Crew Size 470

Seating Assignments Open

Dining Hours 5:30 p.m. to Midnight

Dining Room Dress Code Optional formal nights; no jeans, t-shirts or shorts during dinner.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines $10.00 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders.

Norwegian Majesty

Sailing from Boston and Charleston

Year Built 1992

Stretched & Refurbished 1999

Tonnage 40,876 tons

Length 680 feet

Beam 91 feet

Passenger Capacity 1,462

Crew Size 620

Seating Assignments Open

Dining Room Dress Code Optional formal nights; no jeans, t-shirts or shorts during dinner.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines $10.00 per guest, per day automatically charged to onboard account (amount can be adjusted according to quality of service received). 15% tip included on beverage orders.

Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas

Sailing from Philadelphia

Year Built 1990

Tonnage 48,500 tons

Length 692 feet

Beam 100 feet

Passenger Capacity 2,020

Crew Size 685

Dinner Seatings 2

Dining Room Dress Code 6-8 day cruises: 2 formal nights, others casual or smart casual.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day. Cabin steward, $3.50 per person/day. 15% tip included on beverage orders.

The following ships have multiple voyages to King's Wharf with an overnight stay

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

Sailing from Bayonne

Year Built 2000

Tonnage 142,000 tons

Length 1,020 feet

Beam 158 feet

Passenger Capacity 3,844

Crew Size 1,185

Dinner Seatings 2

Dining Room Dress Code 7-day cruise: 2 formal nights, others casual or smart casual.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines Waiter, $3.50 per person/day. Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day. Cabin steward, $3.50 per person/day. 15% tip included on beverage orders.

Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas

Sailing from Baltimore

Year Built 1996

Tonnage 74,000 tons

Length 916 feet

Beam 106 feet

Passenger Capacity 2,446

Crew Size 760

Dinner Seatings 2

Dining Room Dress Code 7-day cruise: 2 formal nights, others casual or smart casual.

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Tipping Guidelines Waiter, $3.50 per person/day; Asst. waiter, $2 per person/day; Cabin steward, $3.50 per person/day; 15% tip included on beverage orders

The Norwegian Dawn and Spirit have multiple voyages to King's Wharf but don't stay overnight.

Norwegian Dawn

Sailing from New York City

Year Built 2002

Tonnage 91,000 tons

Length 965 feet

Beam 105 feet

Passenger Capacity 2,224

Crew Size 1,126

Seating Assignments Open

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Norwegian Spirit

Sailing from New York City

Year Built 1999

Tonnage 76,800 tons

Length 880 feet

Beam 106 feet

Passenger Capacity 1,966

Seating Assignments Open

Tipping Recommended? Yes

Those are your choices........

I did the Zenith in September 2005 to Bermuda. I choose this ship because it went to Hamilton and St George. After going over to Kings Wharf to sight see I was very glad not to have come in there. Not much to do there. Staying near the big cities was the best.

Zenith needed a little work but it was going in for refurbishing right after our cruise. So I imagine it looks brand new now. THe food and service was top notch.

I would go with Zenith.

I'm comparing itineraries

NCL gets one day in each of 3 ports, King's Wharf, St. George, and Hamilton.

RCCL gets half day in St. George, two days at Hamilton

Celebrity gets two days Hamilton, one and a half days at St. George.

Everything I read says King's wharf is an inferior stop to the other two.

So I guess Celebrity Zenith looks best. I've done the Zenith before and liked it.

I left off the NCL Majesty in my comparison, leaving from Boston, which does 3.5 days in St. George. That one looks really good.

For the record, hurricane season starts June 1 and last until November 30.

Here's some data on the ships that have an extended stays in Bermuda.......

Those are your choices........

Wow!!! thanks for your input! You really went above and beyond on that post!!!

Price and ports may end up being the deciding factors!

Archived