Highlights of GrandCayman Tour

Beachfan98

We got 2 free excursions from Port Promotions and chose the Highlights of Cayman which included the Turtle farm, Hell and the Rum Cake factory. We were supposed to be greeted with a representative on the pier. We walked around for a long time looking for the place to be and it ended up across the street at a place that looked like a lemonaide stand with no signs. The bus was 20 minutes late picking us up (4 ladies never found it and took taxi to the Turtle farm to meet up with us). He pulled over 2 times to talk on his cell phone! When we got to the Turtles he gave us the 50 yard dash tour. Half the time he walked off and left us to find him. I was just slightly impressed with the place of over crowded turtles swimming in pools full of their poop. We went on to the town of Hell and it was a small deck over looking dead coral that resembled cooled lava. It was not impressive. At the rum cake place only 4 people on our bus even got out. Everyone was just ready to get back and have some better fun on their own. I wish we had gone to see the stingrays instead.

I'm sorry you had such a bad time...and I can certainly understand why you were disappointed.

The stingrays are really awesome, and no matter how many times we visit, we never get tired of doing the ray excursions. We recently stayed there for a week, and IMO, I wouldn't do it any other way. We had our own condo, and beach area and were able to explore the island on our time. What's happening with these tours is not good, but I do think it happens a lot. You rush off the ship...drive down the 7MB area (which many times is clogged with traffic), and to Hell, which is no big deal, and then off to the turtle farm, which didn't impress us either.

What we enjoyed more than anything was driving our rental car away from George Town. Bodden Town, Savannah and the East End were much more relaxing, and much more natural. George Town is just way too touristy for me, although we did love the location of our condo...7 MB is awesome.

Rum Point, although packed, was beautiful. The drive there was even more beautiful. It's such a nice, and enjoyable drive over on that side of the island.

What's bad, is I am reading more and more posts similar to yours. There are just too many people getting off ships in this port. Town is a mad house. The week we were there, there werr 9 ships in port on two different days! It was nuts. We saw school buses being used as guide buses...which looked really uncomfortable. I don't know...I just think that it would be much more enjoyable for everyone if they'd limit the number of ships in port on any given day.

To really enjoy the island, at least IMO, you need to rent a car and get as far away from George Town as you can. It's a lovely island, and the people are so nice, but George Town is becoming way too crazy with all the ships in port.

Thanks for the heads up on this company. Next time there, I hope you get to do the stingray excursion. It is awesome.

Archived