Big Family LOTS of kids.... I need some advice !

reenieking

Hello!

I've cruised before (RCCL Adventure, Serenade, Voyager and soon to add Freedom) but this next cruise is unknown, my bf's family is planning a BIG trip, including MANY children ranging from (at time of cruise) 9months to 9 years.

I am helping with the arangments becuase i have cruised before but no one else has, we can't seem to decide on Royal Carribbean or Carnival, i have read many postings saying that each offer great programming, but i need more input !

which ships are easier to navigate with a stroller ?

are the older kids ok to roam on their own ( with two-way radios of course) ?

do either cruise line restrict strollers or wagons ?

i know Royal doesn't offer laundryrooms and i think we'll be ok without it, but are there other tips anyone may have? would we be better off on carnival?

this will be the first plane trip for all of the kids as well, and i know there are restrictions on car seats and strollers, so if anyone has any tips on what we REALLLLLLY Need for the cruise to manage with the kids i would appreachiate hearing all of them ! especially the 9month and 3 year old ( they are the two bigest handfuls of all of them)

thank-you!

Reenieking

Hello!

I've cruised before (RCCL Adventure, Serenade, Voyager and soon to add Freedom) but this next cruise is unknown, my bf's family is planning a BIG trip, including MANY children ranging from (at time of cruise) 9months to 9 years.

Since the oldest will only be 9, would you allow him/her to wander around an amusement park alone? Anywhere alone? Or worse yet, to be responsible for younger kids? No way I would.

Most cruise lines have kids programs, I think I would look into which ones have the best.

i know Royal doesn't offer laundryrooms and i think we'll be ok without it, but are there other tips anyone may have? would we be better off on carnival?

this will be the first plane trip for all of the kids as well, and i know there are restrictions on car seats and strollers, so if anyone has any tips on what we REALLLLLLY Need for the cruise to manage with the kids i would appreachiate hearing all of them ! especially the 9month and 3 year old ( they are the two bigest handfuls of all of them)

I'm not sure about the strollers, but from what I've noticed (plus took my mother in a wheelchair last year) you'll be able to navigate in most public walking areas. The shops are difficult, like most shops. The dining room and lido deck can be difficult because you are trying to go around and through the tables and chairs. In your cabin, there isn't alot of floor space, so you'll want something that you can fold up and stick in the closet easily.

Not sure about letting the kids roam free. Especially since you say they are from 9 month to 9 years. Unless there are some older ones you didn't mention. I would not let a 9 year old (or even a couple of 9yo's together) run around the ship. If we are sitting at the pool and they are going to run over and get some pizza and come right back...that's fine.

There's no restriction on strollers, but I've never seen a wagon.

If Royal doesn't have a laundry room, then I'd go Carnival. Kids are messy. I've got 6 of them...I'll plan outfits for the days and of course, they'll spill their morning milk on the top. Or they are still little and have an accident in the bottoms.

Since the oldest will only be 9, would you allow him/her to wander around an amusement park alone? Anywhere alone? Or worse yet, to be responsible for younger kids? No way I would.

Most cruise lines have kids programs, I think I would look into which ones have the best.

Perhaps a trip to Disney would be a better choice, they have wagons, strollers, Goofy and Mickey to keep children of all ages entertained! Nothin worse than roaming unattended children on a cruise!

Hello!

I am helping with the arangments becuase i have cruised before but no one else has, we can't seem to decide on Royal Carribbean or Carnival, i have read many postings saying that each offer great programming, but i need more input !

thank-you!

Reenieking

Those are great ages to travel with. The 3-yr-old will be able to participate in the kids programs and the baby won't really be mobile yet. The older kids should love the kids club, too!

Bring nice umbrella strollers for the two little ones (maybe a Chicco brand stroller, something sturdy with storage space). I'd bring along a sling or other carrier for the 9-mo-old, easier than pushing around a stroller when they just want to be held anyway!

You probably won't want to let the older kids roam freely, but every kid is different as far as maturity and responsibility. You'll get a range of answers on that topic on this board!

Hope you have fun!!!

Shellie

I cannot comment on Carnival except to say that I am considering them after having read other posts and reviews of their ships. I have done RCCL, but only with my oldest when he was 7. He had a great time with the Kid's Club and is looking forward to our cruise next month on Princess for a family wedding.

Both times we have cruised, it has been for family vacations. We have also done land-based vacations with the whole group. It is a hard job to pick the place, or cruise line, for so many people. I can tell you, traveling with a 17 month old on our upcoming cruise, that I would try to pick a cruise line that offers services for your youngest of the group. Carnival probably has better pricing for the 9 mo, but RCCL has in-room babysitting services offered. It all depends on what you want most. Both of these lines are geared towards families with children and have great programs. Their newest ships have some great features that appeal to kids (from water slides, to ice skating rinks and rock-climbing walls.) Either way, I think you'll have fun!

We've been on RCI, Carnival, Norwegian, and Princess. All of our cruises have been with our kids so we're familiar with most of the cruise lines kids programs. Our kids really liked Royal Caribbean and Carnival the best as far as the kids programs go. Royal Caribbean offers in room babysitting which Carnival does not, Carnival only have group babysitting after ten. But Carnival will accept children as young as 2 into their kids program, you have to be at least 3 to be in the kids program on Royal Caribbean. I really do like the convenient laundry rooms on Carnival, they are on each deck and it's easy to start a load and then hit the buffet or pool while they're washing. On each cruise ship the 9-12 age group are allowed to check themselves in and out of the kids program but they need your signed permission to do so. So parents can control whether the kids roam about. They rent two way radios but we just bring our own.;)

Use of strollers is about the same on each ship, aisles on the bigger ships seem to be wider, but that's about the only difference I've seen. You can get detailed info. on each cruise lines kids program here at Cruise Critic. Cruise Critic has written lots of detailed articles about the kids program, it's better and more detailed than anything I could write here in a quick reply. I hope this info. helps.:)

I really wouldn't do a "wagon" umbrella strollers should be fine.

I would reconsdier letting nine year olds wander freely. You never know who is on a ship - just like being on the street!

Good Luck!

From what I have read, everyone would be happy with either Carnival or RCCL. They are both similar as far as the kids programs.

One suggestion would be to pick a cruise that has more shore days, with kid friendly ports(beaches close by, etc.) I would not suggest taking kids on excursions that have long rides, especially the very young one's. My kids just like the going to the beach playing in the sand and water.

For the families that have kids that will be taking naps during the day/going to be early, I would suggest having them book balcony rooms. The parents can go out on the balcony instead of being stuck in the room while the kids sleep.

One suggestion would be to pick a cruise that has more shore days, with kid friendly ports(beaches close by, etc.) I would not suggest taking kids on excursions that have long rides, especially the very young one's. My kids just like the going to the beach playing in the sand and water.

For the families that have kids that will be taking naps during the day/going to be early, I would suggest having them book balcony rooms. The parents can go out on the balcony instead of being stuck in the room while the kids sleep.

Completely agree on both counts!!!

thank-you for the advice,

i've cruised before although without kids and was shocked to see so many kids unattended, thats why i was looking for another perspective. we are thinking about the two-way radios, but no decisions have been made.

The big delema is still about the kids programming, i love RCCL but my family is thinking more towards carnival becuase as mentioned, they'll take the little ones too.

The carnival website says they give parents pagers, has anyone had experience with them?

also, when i have cruised i have always had late seating, i guess with the kids early is better ? on RCCL the kids "invade" on pirate night durning late seating i would hate for the kids to miss out on that. is early better on carnival as well ??

thanks again !

-Reenieking

My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean and I was reluctant to go on Carnival too. But take my word for it, Carnival is a blast too! Especially the late night adult comedy shows and the awesome poolside deck parties.;)

We've used the Carnival pagers and they're easy to use. They just clip onto your lanyard, purse, etc. They are very small and they will go off only in an emergency. Mine have never went off. If you have small kids you have to check one out when you sign them into the kids program.

We've always done early seating when the kids cruised with us. The kids program usually starts at about 7 and they won't want to miss out on any of the fun activities like the jewelry making, face painting, t-shirt painting, etc. Most of the time, my husband orders desert for the both of us while I go drop off the kids. By the time I get back desert is waiting on me. It's nice to have a cup of coffee and some desert alone together as adults. We love those little quiet moments together. You could do the late dinner and just let the kids have pizzas or burgers which are great. Or they could have the buffet. Then once they are fed you could drop them off at the kids area and then have dinner alone together in the formal dining area. Either way would work, it's just a question as to whether you want the kids to eat in the formal dining area or not. Oh, and be sure and tell the kids that at the end of the cruise they get a free backpack from the kids program. My kids loved theirs.:D

We took half of the Goat Rodeo (my family) on RCI's Mariner last fall. They LOVED it. They were 6 and 8. I would never allow them to roam the ship alone though. Too many bad things can happen. I don't know the adults and a kid with an active imagination can be a dangerous thing.

They loved Adventure Ocean.

• 3 weeks later...
One other thing which may be important is that on RCCL the kids not only need to be 3, but COMPLETELY potty trained. I don't think Carnival requires this at all. Just a heads up on that.

HeatherC

Just a note, that's to go to the kids club, not to sail RCI. I 'm sure that's what Heather meant, but I wanted to clarify.

• 1 month later...

truthfully, with all kids and family members; i would HANDS DOWN go to Club Med punta Cana! I've been their 3 times; and the 3 other hotels on the same island; and I can't tell you how awesome it was....

the kids had SO MUCH FUN; from learning how to swing on the flying trapezze to sailing, archery and for the littles ones they have a baby club for toddlers, the have shaded areas with a dozen or so cozy coup cars to play in etc...

i've got TONS of pictures; our family vacations together almost every year and there is 20 of us! from babies to young teen. everything is included. EVERYTHING. unlike the cruise; which i love too; i am going next month on NCL again, but it's just the six of us this time; next year we're doing Mexico for two weeks all twenty of us.

Archived