QM2 Bridgecam Live!

guernseyguy

New York City is made up of five counties:

Queens, Kings (also known as Brooklyn), Manhattan, Bronx, and Staten Island.

Far be it from me to 'teach Granny to suck eggs'....but aren't those the Boroughs? The New York state website lists the New York City Counties as:

• Bronx
  • Kings
  • Queens
  • New York
  • Richmond

Peter

Peter,

What kind of an insult is "teach Granny to suck eggs" supposed to be?

I'm not a Granny, and telling me to suck eggs sounds nasty to me.

I was simply trying to help you without adding confusing alternate names.

New York City is made up of five counties (boroughs):

Kings (Brooklyn)

Queens

Manhattan (New York County)

Staten Island (Richmond)

Bronx

Look at www.newyorkcityvisitorsnetwork.com

My brother in law is from Long Island, he says Red Hook is a dangerous part of town, so not a place to wander around outside the terminal location.

Don't know if they are doing anything to clean up the crime in the area, but just thought I would pass that info along.

I'm not a Granny, and telling me to suck eggs sounds nasty to me.

Studebaker, I can't tell if you are being serious.

As this link will show

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/3/messages/539.html

Peter was recognizing that he was offering advice to you -- who he admits would be the expert in these matters. Not insulting, deferential.

I do hope you never have to tell someone not to go off half-cocked. There are some people, believe it or not, who may think you are not only being insulting but disparaging too.

Chris

Ah, one people, divided by a common language.....

.....I trust Chris has set your mind at rest that it was a compliment that was intended, not an insult.....

.....my ORIGINAL point was that because of where the boundaries between the Counties of New York are drawn, on the water the QM2 is technically in New York County, and as passengers 'walk the gangplank' (or gangway, depending on how perilous a destination you believe Red Hook to be)....the passengers will cross county boundaries over into Kings County - or in Borough terms, the ship is in Manhattan, the terminal in Brooklyn......

Peter

I am here to help....

The New York City area is made up of the five boroughs. In day to day conversations or news reoprting this is how they are referred to:

Manhattan

The Bronx (da Bronx for locals)

Brooklyn

Staten Island

Queens

In addressing an envelope for mailing to a residence or business they are written as a City name and are as follows:

New York, NY

Bronx, NY

Brooklyn, NY

Staten Island, NY

Queens, NY

I am here to help....The New York City area is made up of the five boroughs. In day to day conversations or news reoprting

Thanks for the clarification......and as I understand it, a criminal who is tried in the Borough of Brooklyn appears in the 'Kings County' Courts.....this is all jolly confusing for us foreigners.....Miami & Dade County and so forth....but then again, the place most people call 'London' is actually the 'City of Westminster'.....(and others, but we won't go there...)so we're at it too......;)

Peter

My brother in law is from Long Island, he says Red Hook is a dangerous part of town, so not a place to wander around outside the terminal location.

Don't know if they are doing anything to clean up the crime in the area, but just thought I would pass that info along.

Nonsense. This is one of the safest precints in the city. Maybe during WW II it was unsafe as it was an active port. But on many streets if you fell asleep in the middle of the roadway no one would disturb you(not even cars). . Yes the Red Hook projects are not the safest but other than that, I would feel comfortable Today there was a LARGE police presence. but even the cops were in a good mood. Would I walk around? Yes you probably have a better chance of being pick pocketed in Manhattan. Most people from Long Island think Manhattan is Sodom and Brooklyn Gamora....

PS Brooklyn and Queens are the western end of Long Island...

Watching the first departure from Red Hook - a little underwhelming for those of us sailing vicariously tonight. Could barely see Statue of Liberty. Sigining off now to watch the progress under the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge - always my favorite start to a transatlantic voyage, and a good reason to be late for dinner.

Thanks for the clarification......and as I understand it, a criminal who is tried in the Borough of Brooklyn appears in the 'Kings County' Courts.....this is all jolly confusing for us foreigners.....Miami & Dade County and so forth....but then again, the place most people call 'London' is actually the 'City of Westminster'.....(and others, but we won't go there...)so we're at it too......;)

Peter

Damn!

I just realized what time it was (and seeing as how when I looked at the clock and saw it was 5:30 PM, and I hadn't had breakfast, much less lunch or supper!) I made myself a hot dog, and sat with the morning paper. I'm looking in the LOCAL section (well, actually, it was on the obituaries page<G>) and there is an artcile (AP) about cruise ships in Brooklyn starting today! OMG! I ran to the computer (6:00 by then) and all I could see in front of her (hoping the hoopla had delayed her exit from the city) was blue water ahead. Darn! Drat! Rats!

Anyway, those of you who can't figure out the boroughs and counties of New York do not want to go NEAR the city of Atlanta! It used to comrpise (though I'm not quite sure that is the proper term, since I don't think it included all of each) 4 counties: Dekalb, Cobb, Fulton, and Clayton.

I think- Someone said it is now higher.

Karie,

Who is sometimes geographically challenged!

Guest DBP80203

This is my first post, although I confess to having lurked behind the scenes for quite a while now, using different logins thru the ages. I too live vicariously, and, as such, have greatly enjoyed these boards, and look forward to the day when I can sail away on a westbound TA.

My question, as I too was late getting home today in order to see for myself - is it possible to see the Redhook docks from the Empire State building cam? I can zoom in enough to see the outline of the Verrazanno bridge, and assume the docks would be in the left foreground, behind and to the left of the Battery.

Thanks & Regards -

David

in high and dry Denver (where the city and the county are the same), and who used to live in both Fairfield and DeKalb counties...

Double darn,drat, rats...I'm with you Karie. Sitting here mindlessly yakking on the phone, paying no attention to the clock...said friend happens to mention our upcoming QM2 cruise....YIKES...run to computer...only blue water ahead!!! After all those times she sailed late and I missed the whole thing! Bummer! Cheers, Penny

but then again, the place most people call 'London' is actually the 'City of Westminster'.....(and others, but we won't go there...)so we're at it too......;)

Peter

Westminster is a Borough.

The "City" is the City of London.

But surely "London" is the whole dank metropolis?

Westminster is a Borough. The "City" is the City of London. But surely "London" is the whole dank metropolis?

Then why is it called the 'City of Westminster'?:

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/

Its actually a 'Borough' with 'City' status.....

Kensington & Chelsea is a Borough:

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/

And Camden is a 'Council'; (or 'People's Republic):

http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/portal/

While the 'City of London' is in fact.....tiny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London

or

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation

There! I just knew our system had to make even less sense than the American's - 5 boroughs & 5 counties - pah - easy!

Peter

How would your brother in law in Long Island know.

I work in Red Hook, dangerous part of town, I don t think so. I have worked in a school there for 11 years and wander around all the time, have yet to be mugged, have never had my car broken in to.

I did have my car stolen from Disney World a few years back.

Where is there not crime.

How could you pass something along when you know nothing about the area.

Archived