Don't forget about your safety while in Roatan

Chexmix

I ran across an article about a death in Roatan due to a scooter accident. It was a cruise ship passanger that died.

I am sure that has been discussed before but sometime the oldies and newbies to this site need reminders to wear safety equipment especially if you are new to the area and you DON'T know the road conditions. Most road conditions are not what they are in the states.

Just remember, if you rent a scooter wear a helmet. Sure they don't make a fashion statement but it could save your life.

Here is the article copied from http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/

Cruise Ship Tourist Dies in Scooter Accident

On Valentines Day and his forty-first birthday, a Norwegian Dream cruise ship visitor George Puris, 41, lost control of his rented scooter and fell on the side of Roatan's West Bay road. While his girlfriend suffered an elbow injury, Puris, along with other injuries, suffered a severe head trauma and drifted in and out of a coma. Murray Russ, owner of Captain Van's that rented Puris the scooter, explained that "there was high speed and drinking involved."

Since Norwegian Dream had no adequate facilities to treat Puris' injuries the victims were taken by ambulance to Woods Medical Center (WMC). According to WMC staff, Puris needed specialized medical attention available only in La Ceiba or San Pedro Sula and due to swelling of the brain, the charter of an air ambulance service to Miami was not an option. Around 1am, he was flown at low altitude in a charter flight to La Ceiba and admitted to Clinica D'Antoni. Puris died around 3am.

Roatan Municipal charged Puris $100 for ambulance service from West Bay to WMC and another $100 for ambulance service to the airport. In addition to the WMC medical bill, Puris paid $2,500 for an Atlantic charter flight to La Ceiba.

According to Ingra Lisa, an owner of Miami-based Trinity Air Ambulance International, the ambulance regularly evacuates patients from Roatan and could have been ready to fly within two hours of notification. Trinity Air Ambulance also has the capacity for low altitude flight necessary for patients with brain or lung injuries. The Puris family is pursuing legal action against Norwegian Cruise Lines.

While road conditions on Roatan are constantly deteriorating, some scooter rental companies fail to replace older bikes and neglect to offer safe helmets. Traffic police officials do not enforce helmet- or shirt-wearing laws on tourists. This is the first death of a cruise ship tourist on a scooter, but according to WMC staff, in 2005 there were dozens of tourists admitted for scooter related injuries.

I must agree with the cruise lines, do not rent a scooter in these ports. I rented scooter in Rotan and my wife was injured, not seriously, but could have been killed. The roads are not safe, there are pot holes everywhere, no shoulder and they are narrow with cars speeding. I rented a jeep in Grand Cayman and felt safe. I would rent there if anywhere, although I would never rent again. I am not faulting the rental company or the people of Rotan, they were both very good, but it is really not safe. This was the thing I was looking most forward to and it almost ruined our trip and could have been worst. Hate to sound like a downer and I would not have wanted to see this before my trip, but I really feel pretty strong about this. Go to the west bay beach, nicest beach I have ever seen or hire a driver and see the island --- but leave the driving to an experienced local. Have fun and be safe!

I must agree with the cruise lines, do not rent a scooter in these ports. I rented scooter in Rotan and my wife was injured, not seriously, but could have been killed. The roads are not safe, there are pot holes everywhere, no shoulder and they are narrow with cars speeding. I rented a jeep in Grand Cayman and felt safe. I would rent there if anywhere, although I would never rent again. I am not faulting the rental company or the people of Rotan, they were both very good, but it is really not safe. This was the thing I was looking most forward to and it almost ruined our trip and could have been worst. Hate to sound like a downer and I would not have wanted to see this before my trip, but I really feel pretty strong about this. Go to the west bay beach, nicest beach I have ever seen or hire a driver and see the island --- but leave the driving to an experienced local. Have fun and be safe!

As a person who's company has been doing 2-wheel rentals on Roatan for over 9 years, I am compelled to mention that in our history my company has had only a handful of accidents....That's means thousands of tourists who had a great, incident-free experience of our tropical island, on a scooter or motorcycle.

We all know that accidents can happen...at home or on vacation...So....

should the industry tell all tourists to not scuba dive, when someone dies in the water? Should the industry tell tourists to not white-water raft when they end up head-first in the river? Should the industry tell tourists to stay away from animals because someone got bit and had a reaction?

I do not think so.

I agree that some activities are more risky than others. Some people prefer not to bungee jump or fly in a hot air balloon above a city.

However, a lot of people want to experience life for all that it offers.....and I think that's wonderful.

As the previous user stated....HAVE FUN! ...and be SAFE!...

I couldn't agree more...and might I add...

Don't Drink and Drive!

I also want to correct the previous user, and point out that all, if not 95% of all potholes on Roatan's roads have been repaired. The roads here in the municipality of West Roatan are excellent since we welcomed back the 4th annual Bay Islands International Triathlon event last month.

Indeed potholes can cause accidents....and when one is going too fast, its not good to have one "pop up" in front of you.

BUT believe me! Most accidents are caused by people pushing the edge....or those who shouldn't be on 2 wheels in the first place.

Just like driving at home, people need to have some confidence before taking to the roads.

All of my customers must pass an orientation and show my staff that they are able to handle a scooter. Those that agree they are not going to do so well, we ask them to reconsider their decision, and to choose not to drive.

No one wants an accident. Neither do I.

For those not wanting any risk in their holidays, please stay on board your ship...

Otherwise:

1) you may get hit by a car crossing a busy street to that intersesting store.

2) you may have an accident scuba diving.

3) you may have an accident driving your car on an tropical road or where they drive on the "wrong side".

4) you may get bit by a monkey or an iguana, etc.

5) you may get robbed by a thief looking for your money

6) you may eat something that doesn't agree with your "constitution"

7) you may cut yourself on a piece of coral while snorkeling

8) you driver may lose control of your tour bus on a mountain road, and you end up in a canyon.

8) ...and you may have an accident on a scooter because you didn't handle that corner as well as you should, because admittedly, your friends say you were going too fast.

If all this scares ya!!...then stay on the ship...because otherwise you'll be a nervous wreck.

I want to finish this response by adding that not all rental agencies in the Caribbean are "1st World" in their quality and safety, nor their care for their customer's experience.

It takes research and forums like this one to find out which companies to deal with.

Wear a helmet.

Ride safe.

...and join the millions of people over the world now preferring a smaller, more gas efficient method of seeing the beautiful world that we live in.

See ya on Roatan!

Thanks for listening.

Captain Van, I am not pointing fingures. But Captain Van do you rent helmets or do they come with the rental? If you don't have them available for thoes folks that will use them, then I would like to suggest it. It would be a good business discussion.

And to the family of this man I am very sorry for your loss. I feel that he would of had a better chance if he could have been air lifted out of there. I would be finding out if and why no one called for the HELOCOPTER right away. As soon as they knew he had a head injury they should of call for the air transprotation. For goodness sake it is a HELOCOPTER they can fly at lower levels. I think someone had their head up thier butt on this one. I know it will not bring him back and your loss is great but someone needs to be held accountable.

To everyone else: BE CAREFUL....Take time to think about your safety!

Bluewatersahead,

I agree with your statement that "someone needs to be held accountable". If speed, alcohol, and lack of helmut lead to this tragedy, who should that be?

I am not blaming either one the cruiseline or Captain Van. I think it lies in the person who said that he could not be air lifted out of their. That person did not give him every chance possible. However; there is always the chance that it would not of helped him anyway. We don't have his medical records. Just in my line of work we have to take every steep possible to save lives. And then as far as the drinking and driving that is one the person his self.

• 4 weeks later...

I was one of the idiots that rented a scooter that had no business being on one, I crashed it. Luckily my injuries was not life threatening, but the people on the island was kind and concerned they offered to try and get me medical assistance, even as I sat and waited for my husband and kids to do the zip line, I couldn't move my left arm, the guys there and another tour guide offered me assistance again. No I wasn't drinking and yes Captain Van's rentals does insist that you wear a helmet, thank goodness. By the way I tore my rotator cuff in this accident and will undergo surgery soon. Another fact that is a little interesting is that I went to the ships first aid and asked for peroxide to help clean the rocks out of my body and the guy at the desk handed me Neosporin, kind of scared me as I think it may have been a doctor. An expensive lesson, but I can blame no one but myself, as most of these accidents should be blamed on the person driving the scooters, not the ships and not the rental agencies.

Archived