Kona V.N.P. & Punalu'u Beach

DGK

We are cruising P.O.A. end of May and renting a car in Kona . We plan on spending the time at V.N.P. and possibly a beach. Never have seen a black sand beach we thought about driving to Punalu'u beach. Any idea how far the beach or V.N.P. is from the port ? Would you go to V.N.P. or the beach first ? Is there a different beach you would advise ?

Thanks so much for all your assistance , DGK

We are cruising P.O.A. end of May and renting a car in Kona . We plan on spending the time at V.N.P. and possibly a beach. Never have seen a black sand beach we thought about driving to Punalu'u beach. Any idea how far the beach or V.N.P. is from the port ? Would you go to V.N.P. or the beach first ? Is there a different beach you would advise ?

Thanks so much for all your assistance , DGK

It is around 90 miles of not easy driving going south from Kona to Volcano. I'd allow a good 2 to 2.5 hours each way just for the drive. The guide books say 125 minutes straight driving time, not accounting for traffic conditions.

You'd be better off doing VNP from Hilo, which is about a 45 minute drive and better roads, and, if you want to do South Point and the Black Sand Beach at Punalu'u from Kona, allow about an hour and a half driving time out and two to two and a half return due to the traffic. Punalu'u is a little more than half way between Kona and Volcano, roughly.

My advice is to do VNP from Hilo, and Punalu'u from Kona and not to try and do VNP in combination with Punalu'u as a day trip from Kona. You'll spend your whole time driving.

Thank you Donna, I got mixed up in my question. So much to keep straight. We will be doing V.N.P. from Hilo not Kona. Is there a beach that you would advise? We are not renting a car in Kona as we are doing the captain zodiac excursion. So sorry about the confusion, DGK

We rented a car in Hilo, drove toward VNP, went past it about 30 minutes to Panalu'u Beach. We spent about an hour there and went back to VNP. We spent about 3 hours driving around the park, we would have spent more time but it was pouring down in sheets of rain! We were back to Hilo in plenty of time to drive around the town before dropping our car and getting back to the ship.

If you haven't done so, buy the "Revealed" books for each of the islands if you are doing your own trips. They will give you directions right down to the mile markers for lots of things you wouldn't otherwise find.

Have a great time!:D

Thanks Karen for the advice on Hilo...we're heading out on POA on Sunday the 23rd and have rented a car for our stop in Hilo. We'd love to see the black sand beach and the VNP so it sounds like we'll be able to fit both in.

Have a great trip!

jen

Thank you Donna, I got mixed up in my question. So much to keep straight. We will be doing V.N.P. from Hilo not Kona. Is there a beach that you would advise? We are not renting a car in Kona as we are doing the captain zodiac excursion. So sorry about the confusion, DGK

As they say here 'much mo' bettah' plan! You can do as Karen suggests, and catch Punalu'u from the Hilo/Volcano side, and see a bit of the Kau desert in the process. Beaches aren't much on the Hilo side in general. There's a decent beach park down Kalanianaole to the left as you are leaving the port, called Leleiwi Beach Park and also RIchardson's Ocean Center. I'd stay away from James Kealoha Beach Park, which you'll come to first - not very good swimming and something of a local hangout for some fairly undesirable folks.

Archived