Balconies

rockie

Someone told me today that the balconies on the Sapphire are only open when you are in port. I have rang P&O and they said that was rubbish, but wanted to get your opinions as well, as I know some have been. I didn't think this sounded right. We are going on it in Jan, I hope, I am booking tomorrow and wanted to find this out first.

The dividers??

I had a look at this persons info from their travel agent and it says: "Caribe Deck-With Balcony (Which can only be used while in port, Otherwise there is a window)."

The cabin is right at the front of the ship and on the Diamond Princess deck plan, because that is all I have here, on Caribe Deck and Baja Deck, where the front decks are, are blacked out. This is a mystery and I am going to book today and will ask my travel agent about this.

Hi, I have been on the Sapphire, although in an inside cabin. Friends of ours were on the same cruise with a balcony. You can go onto the balcony anytime - you are in control of the door. Maybe if the weather is very rough they may tell you to keep the door shut. Some outside cabins only have windows. If you at the front of the ship, you basically need to keep the door shut all the time because otherwise you get blown around too much. These same friends thought they were getting a good deal on another ship and got one of the front balconies. They said it was the worst cabin on the ship because they had to keep the doors shut all the time. They couldn't go out while the ship was sailing as it was way too windy. The rear balconies are the best. I would recommend that you book a different cabin. Mummsie

Princess closes and locks the forward facing balconies on Sapphire and Diamond Princess. They do unlock them in port - and if you have a friendly steward, he may "forget" to lock them.

Too much wind across the bow, and they were losing furniture, and in some cases glass.

They also request that you keep the blinds closed on the forward facing balconies during hours of darkness, as the light can reflect into the Navigation Bridge, and cause some difficulty for the helmsman, particularly when they are not on auto-pilot.

Makes you wonder why on earth they have cabins right up there anyway with the wind and the light and all. Thank you for that explaination, I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I wasn't going to book one of those cabins, but a side one, but cousin has booked a front one. There weren't many cabins left yesterday when she booked and I went to book a side one today and there is a waitlist for them. OH, I am so mad.:( Booked a window one anyway with the hope that all the others on the waitlist change their minds about going and there will be one for me anyway.

Archived