Curious

MollyBrown

In the Princess Grill there was no live music during meals and I'm pretty sure there was none in Queen's Grill either.

JeanneS,

You are right. Thoroughly Modern Mille was a movie long before it became a stage musical. With The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Tammy Grimes played her on Broadway before Debbie Reynolds did on screen.

.... But sooner or later we're likely to see what the Mary is like. And I can't imagine anything worse than sitting near a quartet or harpist for six nights...

Oh go on spoil yourself for once ........ they might even play 'YMCA' or 'Who let the dogs out' !!!!!

Sorry couldn't help it

Ken

Oh go on spoil yourself for once ........ they might even play 'YMCA' or 'Who let the dogs out' !!!!!

Sorry couldn't help it

Ken

HA!

I actually have a CD by the ORIGINAL Baha Men The fathers and GRANDfathers of today's Baha men- Who did "Who Let the Dogs out."

Their daddies are much better.

Never thought about sitting next to them at dinner for 6 nights straight! Even if you are a major harp and quartet fan (Which I am not) It could put a damper on dinner conversation!

No, I don't think there is any live music in the grills (How tacky, darling! We don't DO that!) Rather like a Mariachi band, don't you think? It just isn't DONE!)

And they play in the area near the grand staircase in the Brittania. Not really close to any tables.

Karie,

Who wouldn't want some dreary depressing lento work played during dinner. She'd feel like she was in church and should fold her gloved hands and sit quietly. A great diet, but not conducive to Gastronomical Delights!

I have skimmed over this thread with interest as I have waivered between expensive accommodations and the most economical. In general, I have always tried to save up for suites/and or business class either by points or deals, etc.

The interesting debate in this thread seems to be that the motivation towards luxury is for the "snob" appeal, but for me, it is for the sheer indulgence. Whether it is a little extra room, or a nicer bottle of shampoo, or a better threadcount, all of these things add up for me to enhance the experience. Ironically, when it is not available, I still figure out a way to savor the total experience, but have never felt irritated with people who delight in the possibility of indulging in luxury.

As for the whole Grill concept, I suspect the allure is a sort of nostalgia of ocean liner travel in the past, and not so much to rub people's noses in it. Titanic highlighted some horrible misteps in categorizing people in a crisis, but I think since then the lesson learned is that you can categorize linens, but not safety.

At any rate, I love inside staterooms for their coziness, and I love a big ass suite for the fact that it is a big ass suite! Just as long as I get to go!

Titanic highlighted some horrible misteps in categorizing people in a crisis,

Don't believe the movie! 'Third class locked below decks' (behind, I might add US-imposed barriers) is garbage......or how come more Third Class women & children survived than First Class men.......

Peter

Hi Guernseyguy,

Wow! Very interesting. If there was no improper treatment in that situation, then all the more reason in my view have no disdain for first class passengers. After all, and I am going on what I saw in the movie again, they did have a pretty darn good time dancing that night in 3rd class. :)

The evacuation of Titanic was very poorly managed - apart from boats not leaving full - several hundred more could have been saved - but in the days before PA systems word travelled slowly, and Third class passengers were furthest from the boats - at the bow and stern - and in many cases did not speak english. Of the Third class survivors, Mersey noted that more Irish survived than other nationalities, ascribing this to their better understanding of what was going on. The group with the poorest survival rate - Second class men, do not feature at all in Cameron's movie.

Peter

<<<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mufi

You have obviously not visited Paris in the last 50 years.

David.

Thank you David!!!

>>>

Quite the contrary. There is a myth that the French (or, more precisely, Parisians) are rude. This is merely a cultural misunderstanding.

The French tend to be reserved and formal. Their reserve is often interpreted by the more effusive Anglo as rudeness. It takes time for a French person to open up to strangers, but when they do, they are generally loyal friends for life. In the US, people are more superficially friendly, but many a French person visiting the US has been surprised and disappointed to find this friendliness does not imply friendship.

I know New York, London, and Paris well. I have never had more experiences of complete strangers offering me help for one thing or another, without my asking, suggesting I go ahead in the line (or queue, for you Brits) because I have fewer items, etc. than in Paris. Other visitors to Paris have reported the same.

Sometimes some Parisians can seem a little snooty, but don't take it personally; it is a manner of behaving not meant to be rude or rejecting.

In France one need only follow simple customs of behavior and politeness, and life runs smoothly and pleasantly. Nothing else is required (such as always having to exibit a "resume", so to speak, to be treated with respect---in fact it is considered rude there to ask "what do you do?" or "how old are you?").

This is completely off-topic, but since others are still continuing this off-topic subject re. something I have said, I am going to respond to it.

I know that I'm safe in the Queens Grill on QE2.

But sooner or later we're likely to see what the Mary is like. And I can't imagine anything worse than sitting near a quartet or harpist for six nights.

Hence my query about the Queens Grill on QM2. Someone must have been in the QM2 Queens Grill?????

I only ate there one night so I would not be able to comment. In the Brittania DR the performers sit on the upper tier (we used to gaze up at them adoringly) dead center facing the mural. So if you avoided that area....

That is why I think some cultures that emphasize politenes and courtesy, such as France or Japan (used to be the UK, but I've heard rudeness is becoming rampant), work better to keep an atmosphere of calm, kindness, and civilized refinement.

I'm thoroughly confused by this thread. I'd be thinking twice about booking QM2 wondering if the steerage thing was some kind of big issue. But as I'm not, I won't worry too much.

But Molly, if you're going to make (negative) generalisations about the UK (or anywhere else), I hope your sources are reliable. I live in and travel widely throughout the UK. I have found both good and bad instances of courtesy and politeness. I can say the same of France as I've also travelled there and been equally welcomed and made to feel like a foreigner. As I've never been to Japan, I'm not in a position to pass comment.

The interesting debate in this thread seems to be that the motivation towards luxury is for the "snob" appeal, but for me, it is for the sheer indulgence. Whether it is a little extra room, or a nicer bottle of shampoo, or a better threadcount, all of these things add up for me to enhance the experience. Ironically, when it is not available, I still figure out a way to savor the total experience, but have never felt irritated with people who delight in the possibility of indulging in luxury.

go!

Agree with that.

<<<

I know New York, London, and Paris well. I have never had more experiences of complete strangers offering me help for one thing or another, without my asking, suggesting I go ahead in the line (or queue, for you Brits) because I have fewer items, etc. than in Paris. Other visitors to Paris have reported the same.

Molly, with respect, may I suggest that capital cities represent a microcosm of the national characteristics. What is true there, be it good or bad, is not necessarily reflected throughout the nation.

Indeed within the UK there's a belief that a north south 'divide' exists ie those who live in London and the South of the country think that 'northerners' are ignorant dullards who have progressed little since the industrial revolution. I guess the point I'd like to make is that it's so easy for sweeping and personal opinions to become 'fact'. There's a place for both but opinion should never be mistaken for fact.

JeanneS,

You are right. Thoroughly Modern Mille was a movie long before it became a stage musical. With The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Tammy Grimes played her on Broadway before Debbie Reynolds did on screen.

I did not really care for the Movie version of thoroughly Modern Mille with Julie Andrews, but I loved the play with Sutton Foster. Great songs and even better tap dancing. Did Morris write the play before he died in 1996?

Come to think of it these are two rather cheezy plots, especially Millie with the White Slavery story line.

Sorry couldn't help it

Ken

Ken - you know they need to go to the Queens Room on a Carribean Cruise to hear those standards.

JeanneS,

I honestly dojn't know if Morris wrote the book to the musical before he died. As for plots for musicals, aren't they mostly all, with the exception of sondheim works, a bit cheesy. That's part of the fun.

JeanneS,

I honestly dojn't know if Morris wrote the book to the musical before he died. As for plots for musicals, aren't they mostly all, with the exception of sondheim works, a bit cheesy. That's part of the fun.

Oh, great! I have to work in half an hour, and I am going to have

"Where ya goin'?"

"Barcelona"

"Oh"

"Don't be late"

Going through my head all night!

Karie,

Who acted in an amateur (VERY amateur) version of Company once! I was the karate taking wife who snitched brownies when no one was looking)

I'm just a grouch who hates background music. Whatever it is.......

I think we had a survey here on "music" and most voted no. I complained recently in the Commodore Club on QE2 about the constant background of so called music and might as well have saved my breath.

David.

JeanneS,

It sure is.

Archived