Recent Passengers on QM2 - your views on the music please

Slow Foxtrot

We have heard recent QM2 passengers' views on the disembarkation so it would be nice to hear their views on the music and entertainment. Was there a good jazz group? Were the cocktail pianists of the standard one would expect? And is the Queen's Orchestra now playing dance music in the right tempo? The views of recent passengers would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks. Slow Foxtrot.

Slow Foxtrot,

I greatly enjoy the jazz combo that plays each evening at the Chart Room Lounge. They are very polished, tight and accomplished musicians. I have also enjoyed the pianist Barty Brown who plays in both the Golden Lion Pub and the Chart Room Lounge.

The string quartets who play during dinner at Britannia provide lovely, soothing and melodic music. Special note must also be given to QM2's dance band Xtasea. These guys have been on board since the Maiden Voyage and continue to entertain with their Calypso and popular rhythms all played with great gusto and enthusiasm.

The Queens Room Orchestra also sound very good. They do a fine job on all the standards, although the gentleman singing with them was a bit too over the top.

Have a nice trip the light fantastic,

Cruiserking

Thanks for your views CruiserKing. Yes, the jazz groups that play in the Chart Room always seem to be very popular, and rightly so. It's just the place for a late-night drink. Do you rate the Queen's Orchestra from a music point of view or from a dancer's point of view? If one looks for strict-tempo dancing then vocalists are not always ideal - for obvious reasons. There are exceptions of course, but not very many! I've heard some brilliant cocktail pianists but when they play several times a day for weeks on end it's inevitable that they have to repeat much of their repetoire, no matter how extensive.

However, they provide an elegant background for pre-dinner drinks, and late-night drinks come to that! No doubt about it, good music and good musicians can really make a difference to your cruise. Are other passengers as happy as you with QM2's musicians? Let's have your views.

Slow Foxtrot.

Slow Foxtrot,

My enjoyment of the Queens Room Orchestra is based purely on listening. My girlfriend and I had taken several dance lessons prior to our cruise, but, once you get out on the dance floor it's a whole new ballgame. I would say the orchestra had a good tempo, they were professional musicians and sounded very crisp. I would be interested in your critique as it appear your are an experience hoofer yourself.

I agree with you regarding hearing the same cocktail pianist churning out a repeat repetoire. However, if you are lucky enough to experience Barty Brown you will truly enjoy his engaging and colorful piano playing. Mr. Brown really has a terrific personality and combined with his talented piano playing the result is a very sublime.

Cruiserking

Hello CruiserKing,

I shall certainly keep an eye open for Barty Brown the next time we are on QM2. Incidentally, it was great to read that you and your girlfriend have taken some dance lessons prior to your cruise. If you take them seriously and wish to progress you will find that it may well lead to some of the happiest times of your life. Yes, my wife and I are medallist dancers, mostly ballroom, latin, rock 'n' roll and we dance wherever and whenever we can. As for my critique of the Queen's Orchestra in the Queen's Ballroom; it's quite a time since we did the QM2 Mediterranean cruise and I have to say we were somewhat disappointed because the orchestra (band) at that time played the wrong tempos for waltz and quickstep (two fundamental ballroom dances).

However, Cunard say they have paid attention to this anomaly so maybe they have got their act together now. Obviously, casual listeners and occasional social dancers wouldn't bother too much about this but, as I see it, if they are gonna' play it they might as well play it right as wrong! It's true that some American style dances are not well known in England, but I presume that the waltz and the quickstep should be the same on both sides of the pond. Regardless of all this, it's good to know that the QM2 has the biggest ballroom at sea so all credit to them. And, it seems that the new Queen Victoria will have something similar, so even more credit to them.

We could all use a little elegance once in a while and it's good to have an alternative to the ubiquitous 'disco'

So, keep on dancin'

Slow Foxtrot.

Archived