1st time cruiser

iscreamer1

I am trying to talk my husband into taking a cruise. I have been on many but he has refused so far. I am making headway and I think I am close to getting him to agree to a 3 or 4 nighter. My question: if the choice is between Princess Paradise or RCL Monarch of the Seas, which would you suggest. We are in our 40's taking 2 kids, like to have fun but not really "party animals". I am thinking of these, over Disney because we are going in July and these cruises are to Baja Mexico. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thx

Irene

I personally would prefer RCCL's Monarch of the Seas but that is because my first cruise was on RCCL and was amazing and I have never been given a reason to switch lines. Since you are looking at the 4-night I would take the Monarch over the Carnival Paradise because the Monarch stops in San Diego and the Paradise doesn't. I love San Diego, it is a great city with tons to do. Paradise will have larger staterooms though.

I am trying to talk my husband into taking a cruise. I have been on many but he has refused so far. I am making headway and I think I am close to getting him to agree to a 3 or 4 nighter. My question: if the choice is between Princess Paradise or RCL Monarch of the Seas, which would you suggest. We are in our 40's taking 2 kids, like to have fun but not really "party animals". I am thinking of these, over Disney because we are going in July and these cruises are to Baja Mexico. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thx

Irene

I would also go with RCL, only because we could never find anything to complain about when on one of the RCL ships. I have not been on a Princess cruise yet (will be on one in 32 days).

I believe you're referring to the Carnival Paradise, not Princess?

I was on the Paradise in November for the four-nighter. Had a wonderful time and enjoyed the ship. Had no complaints at all. Food, service, and entertainment were as I always look forward to on all Carnival ships.:)

I hope your DH doesn't take too much convincing, because if goes on the cruise and really, really doesn't like it, you'll hear about it. Unfortunately, I told my adult son a coupla years ago how great cruising is - he went, along with a GF and another couple - came back to say it definitely wasn't for him. He said it was "OK", but not his cuppa tea. (He likes to fly to islands, and won't ever cruise again.) I won't talk anybody into a cruise in the future.:rolleyes:

Yes, thanks, I did mean Carnival. I told my DH that if he didn't like it he could get off in San Diego and we would meet him back in LA. If he doesn't like it that's cool but he won't know till he tries. To me it's a taylor made vacation for him so it's worth the try.

Do you think it's better to stick to the west coast in July? I'd really rather take Disney.

Thx again

I would choose the Monarch for sure! I love RCCL and always have a great time -- no matter what class of ship I am on. Of course, my last 3 have been on voyager class, but that was due to my travelling companions, not just preference. You & your family will have a great time.

If you book through an agency, some have "if you don't like it get off at the first port and we will refund your money" guarantees.

And no, I don't work for an agency, but the agency I book through offers this, so if you want the name of it, e-mail me @ greene1096@insightbb.com:)

Yes, thanks, I did mean Carnival. I told my DH that if he didn't like it he could get off in San Diego and we would meet him back in LA. If he doesn't like it that's cool but he won't know till he tries. To me it's a taylor made vacation for him so it's worth the try.

Do you think it's better to stick to the west coast in July? I'd really rather take Disney.

Thx again

One thing. If he doesn't like it, he can't get off in San Diego without incurring a fine due to a law known as the Passenger Services Act.

If you book through an agency, some have "if you don't like it get off at the first port and we will refund your money" guarantees.

Carnival's Vacation Guarantee:

"We're so confidant you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise, we guarantee it. Carnival is the ONLY cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee. Simply book your cuise vacation and sail away on a 'Fun Ship'.

If you're not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call, and you must debark at your ship's first non U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back."

For the reluctant 1st time cruiser, I would say the Monarch. Why? Because the anxiety that reluctant cruisers have is getting bored on ship, and that boredom comes from days at sea. On the 4 night cruise to Baja, the Monarch has no sea days - all days are spent in port. Not that one has to get off the ship, but it leaves one with the feeling that they aren't "stuck" on the ship.

Also, I wouldn't let the 4 night cruise be your only destination on the West Coast. Disney is here, too, since that seems to be an interest for you. My suggestion? A couple of days pre- or post- cruise at Disney to make for a more rounded vacation. (And your husband might not feel that he's going to get "stuck" on a ship in the middle of the ocean with nothing to do!)

Wow, such great advise. i appreciate it all.

"Also, I wouldn't let the 4 night cruise be your only destination on the West Coast. Disney is here, too, since that seems to be an interest for you. My suggestion? A couple of days pre- or post- cruise at Disney to make for a more rounded vacation. (And your husband might not feel that he's going to get "stuck" on a ship in the middle of the ocean with nothing to do!)"

Actually I was referring to the Disney cruise. We do Disneyland almost every year. I took the kids on the cruise about 5 years ago and we loved it. The only problem there is hurricane season.

Archived