Anyone else excited about the AK sailing season getting started?

Hikini

Hi

My husband and I will be on the Star 5-14. I am getting very excited. We are arriving the night before to explore Seattle and we are staying two days after our trip too. I am looking for hotel suggestions for the two days after. We were undecided if we should stay in the city for another two days or stay in a suburban hotel and explore Washington. I have never been to Seattle so I do not know the burbs at all. I am open to suggestions!

Tweety

Hi! My husband and I will be on the Star 5-14. I am getting very excited. We are arriving the night before to explore Seattle and we are staying two days after our trip too. I am looking for hotel suggestions for the two days after. We were undecided if we should stay in the city for another two days or stay in a suburban hotel and explore Washington. I have never been to Seattle so I do not know the burbs at all. I am open to suggestions! Tweety

If you're into watching large jet airliners being built, I suggest staying in Everett. The large Boeing plant is there, it has tours. While in Everett, you could take some organized tours, or rent a car and head for the mountains.

http://www.snohomish.org/tours/group_tours.html

http://www.snohomish.org/tours/driving_tours.html

Just a few options. But Everett is further away from Seatac than Seattle.

One idea for something to do in the Seattle 'area' (not Seattle proper) if you have some time, is to take the Spirit of Washington Dinner Train. You can go to www.spiritofwashingtondinnertrain.com for details. You can get some very nice views, as well as a relaxing ride and a good meal.

Electricron is right about touring the Boeing plant in Everett (about 25 miles north of Seattle). There is also the Museum of Flight which is at Boeing Field in Seattle.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

I'm curious to hear, once the season gets started, if anyone finds some wifi hotspots in port. It would be nice to go out on deck, on the ship, and be able to find a hotspot. I've read of others doing that in some of the southern cruises this year.

With wifi becoming more and more widespread, it's bound to happen sooner or later. It wasn't available in any of the AK ports last year - I tried! I had to take the laptop into town with me to find a hotspot.

Hi newcruisers2! Make sure to tell us all about your trip when you get back. I'm on the Wind, Vancouver to Alaska, in August!

The count down is indeed on for you!

We will be sure to let you know how the trip went! We are excited to experience the ship ourselves :rolleyes: . Have you been on the Wind before? Happy sailing in August!:)

Ok Guys, 3 weeks from today I'll be in Nashville, Tn getting ready to board the plane! the plane! off to Seattle.

Can't wait, I'm getting that excited gut feeling starting today no really last night.

I even had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about 3 week from tonight and I'll wake up and be on my way to the Star Alaska May 21st.

Yeah!!!

Can't wait to see the ship in port on the webcams (thanks for posting the links)

Marcy

Hikini - We will be in Seattle on June 3 and wanted to go to Pikes Market. How late does everything stay open there? We won't get into Seattle until around 5 pm. Thought we would go there and find a place to eat. Not much time but wanted to see some of Seattle before we leave on the Westerdam the next day. We are staying at the Sheraton downtown. Thanks for any info.

The best info I could find is that the market is only open until 6pm, however, during the summer I am thinking it could be later than that. I wish I had more definitive info than that....

...yeah, I'm excited the new cruise season is starting, living here in Victoria BC we get cruise ships coming and going for almost six months of the year, and I regularly go down to the breakwater and check them out...but its especially exciting this year because I'll be taking one of the ones I get to watch...tomorrow (April 29th) I'll be watching the first arrival for this season, the Norwegian Wind will be docking at 1pm and staying until 8pm, and we are booked to take her to Alaska on August 27th, our first cruise ever!!...my wife is already counting off the days...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

...yeah, I'm excited the new cruise season is starting, living here in Victoria BC we get cruise ships coming and going for almost six months of the year, and I regularly go down to the breakwater and check them out...but its especially exciting this year because I'll be taking one of the ones I get to watch...tomorrow (April 29th) I'll be watching the first arrival for this season, the Norwegian Wind will be docking at 1pm and staying until 8pm, and we are booked to take her to Alaska on August 27th, our first cruise ever!!...my wife is already counting off the days...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

I get the same excitement, living here in Seattle. We love watching the cruise ships come and go. It's even more fun (much more) when you're anticipating the day when you finally get to be the one on the ship. We'll be going on our 4th AK cruise out of Seattle in just 7 weeks and 1 day. But who is counting???

Our party has ten (myself, wife, four kids, mom-in-law and a couple of friends). We're sailing on the Star June 11th and are looking forward to being back in Seattle again (we've been, but our friends haven't).

I'll try to be brief. For those who haven't been to Seattle, you're in for a treat. Wonderful city. Fortunately most of the time I've been there it's been sunny and very pleasant. I've also been there during the rain, and hey...you don't hear people complaining about 110-degree heat in Vegas that much. You adapt and move on. So you bring a nice warm jacket, maybe a poncho or light rain jacket and you should be fine.

I would recommend, for those of you who like planes, to see the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field. I was there a few years ago and got to board one of the old Air Force One planes, and they now have the only Concorde on the west coast. If I get the chance I'll go this time. The other thing I would recommend, for those who love music, is to see the Experience Music Project, which is next to the Space Needle. My friend is a big Eric Clapton fan, and they have his most recognized guitar (!!!) on display, plus a lot of wonderful other displays and exhibits.

I would recommend Chinook's for great seafood and The Pink Door (Italian restaurant) for a great view (and good food). But I told my wife I have to take her to the Motherland: the first Starbucks, which is in Pike Place Market. For all the $$$ in mochas she's had, it'll be time to pay respects to the Great Bean.

Oh, also...looking forward to Alaska, too. Ha.

It was SO exciting to see the STAR in port last night. Normally she is only here during the morning and afternoon, but yesterday she had a late departure time so was here after dark. (Was scheduled to leave at 10pm but left shortly after 12am.)

It was so great to see her all lit up, and be able to see into some of the public places. Having been on the Star, I could picture what everything looked like, sounded like, smelled like, etc. I wanted to be ON the ship!

We went down to the waterfront at 9pm to get a good look and take some pictures. While there, some tourists came and stood nearby and I heard them guessing how many passengers were on board, etc. So I started talking to them. Before we were done, one of the women said, "Do you realize you have single handedly talked 4 families into going on a cruise to Alaska?" They could see how passionate I was about cruising.

Only 41 days until we are on the STAR again!

Archived