up grade from js 2 gs !!!!!

ajdj

Only thing you can do is to weight the cost differance vs. how important the 'extras' are to you...

How long is the cruise?

How much is the cost difference?

How many adults/children in your cabin?

What 'extras' are you reffering to?

:) Glad to give my opinion...but need more info:)

Well it depends on price difference and whether you would take advantage of the extras. We stayed in a Grand Suite in September and the rooms are lovely , a nice sitting area , bar , large mirrored closets, and huge marbled bathroom with double sink and bathtub. The balcony is twice the size of most balconies , large enough to fit 2 chairs large table and a lounge. Now the Concierge for us was the kicker. Unlimited drinks, hot and cold appetizers from 5 - 8:30. Continental breakfast from 8-10 in the morning , free soda , juice , and bottled water at those times. The rest of the time there is a incrediable coffee machine that does really good coffee, decaf , cappacino , expresso or hot chocolate. This is 24/7. Also with a suite you have a DVD player and the have DVD's to use. The concierge will also help you out with reservations(portofino's , excursions,ice skating tickets). If you will make use of the concierge ( wine,beer , mixed drinks and snacks before dinner) then i would say go for it. Oh also there is priority embarktion and debarktion.

I agree...if you take advantage of the extras and you can afford it go for it. We just came off a cruise and had a GS. The room was really nice. So much storage we couldn't use it all and believe me we brought a lot of stuff.

We really enjoyed the concierge - had coffee and lite breakfast there every morning. Wine, Beer and Cocktails from 5 pm until dinner. We certainly took advantage of that and met some lovely people in the lounge. No children under 18 allowed during cocktail hours - that is because of the access to alcohol. It was strictly enforced.

There are also computers there so you don't have to use the computers in the internet center.

The concierge will also assit you with dinner and excursion reservations.

Very special experience if you can do it.

Just be warned, the GS will spoil you and make it hard to go back. We had an OS last cruise and loved it but can't afford it for the 10 day Panama Canal and also because the balcony on the OS is smaller than the GS we chose another GS. Great cabin with good perks, just be sure you want to take the chance of getting hooked!

I paid to upgrade my reservation from a JS to a GS for our Radiance cruise back in January (made the change maybe 2 months in advance, maybe 3).

My reasons were: we'd never been in a suite of any kind and I wanted to "go for it"; wanted the concierge experience for DW to make her feel special; looked like perhaps some better odds of semi-privacy from DS:D; wanted whatever perks we might manage to get--again, trying to make DW and DS feel even more special. Knew I wasn't going to have $1400 worth of drinks, snacks, and cappucino during a week's cruise, so it was not a dollar value analysis, it was qualitative, not quantitative.

So I made the change, did not tell DS (to whom the entire cruise was a surprise) or DW (she knew about the JS, but the upgrade was a surprise for her). Then 30 days before embarkation RCI bumped us up to an OS!! Got a serious "WOW!!" factor when opened the door and led DW in, as she was just expecting a JS and she ended up w/ a bathroom bigger than the one at home 9and about as big as our first ever stateroom on the Empress).

If you can, try it once. We weren't spoiled for life--a month later DW and I did a 4 night cruise, w/o DS but w/ some friends, in an oceanview, no balcony either, on the Enchantment, and we loved that room, too.

thanks everyone, we will think about it, its our 1st cruise and our 20th anniversary . would like to make it special. we have my parents travelling with us 2 so we want it 2 b somethink 2 remember jan

You do not have to stay in the lounge. On our cruise last month, the seats were always taken during cocktail time by the same large group. We would go in and take what we wanted and bring them to tables outside the lounge or back to our cabin. With all the Diamond members having access to the lounge, there was never enough space.

Archived