Sapphire

rockie

YYYYYAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! I have booked for Jan from Sydney.:D

I AM NOT looking forward to the plane ride over there though.:( Couldn't get a balcony, all booked ou,t though we are on 3 waitlists for one. We are down in the engine room, again. I really must book early early early next time. I am so excited and cannot wait till Jan.

Hi Rocky, You will love the Sapphire. There is no real engine room rooms. Even the ones on the lower decks are fantastic. The entertainment in the big theatre is wonderful. Make sure you go to all the big productions especially Piano Man and the Undercover one. They are excellent. The Sapphire doesn't have all the Island Nights and Pyjama parties that P&O has but there is plenty to keep you occupied. Gayle

hi rockie. Great to see you have booked a CRUISE. Is it the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS you have booked? Which date do you sail as I would love to view your itenary. Where are you bound for.Sounds like you dont like flying. Where do you live? Look fprward to your reply. suexxx

We sail from Sydney to Melbourne, Hobart, (where I have rellies), Fjordland, Dunedin, (i think) Christchurch, Tauranga and back to Auckland. We sail from Sydney on the 11th Jan.

Suexxx I don't like flying as it doens't like me. I have deformed ear canals and get bad sinuses as well and they play up merry hell. I guess I will just have to go to the dr and get myself doped up again. I wll check out that other place for more info, thanks. I was wondering though how casual can you get during the day on deck. On the Sky I spent my time in shorts, t shirt, also doubles as swimming gear and a wrap around skirt and barefeet. Got better duds on to go to the dining room though. I cannot wait. The last trip I booked two weeks before going and it was good as I didn't have those months of waiting to go. I will have to learn how to do that countdown thing.

hi rockie. suexxx hear. will look at your cruise in detail. Looks great. Do you have a deck and cabin no yet? Had a look at Shapphires lay out, looks big. As you have cruised before you will know what to do and have a great time.

At the moment we are on Plaza deck but are on the waitlist for 3 other cabins, ones with balconies and one a mini suite. Don't know what floor. I asked hubby what if the mini suite becomes available and he said, We get it. So here's hoping it does. It is about $500 more each, but hey, that's what Visa cards are for.:D In a couple of years I want to do the one from Auckland to San Franciso if it is still doing it then. I think the Diamond is on that one now, left Sydney, doing the South Island etc on it's last leg of the OZ/Auckland leg and onto San Franciso. BUT, then again, we have a flight back home.:(

Hi Rockie, We did this cruise in reverse last year. You will have a wonderful time. During the day - we found the pools out the back much less crowded than the ones up the front and in the middle. There are 2 pools and 2 spas right at the back. They are near the Horizon Court where the buffet is served. You just need to make sure you are covered up and have shoes on to walk through the Horizon as they don't allow barefeet and swimming costumes. Up the front of the ship is where the largest of the pools is. This is also where the burger bar and pizza bars are. The pizzas are not bad considering they are American style pizza. The slices are gigantic. Also the burger bar is good for a quick lunch. We ate there most days as if I go to the buffet I tend to eat too much. Just remember the drinks you buy will be in American Dollars :) Plaza deck is an excellent location. I wouldn't worry if you don't get upgraded. Many people would kill for such a good location on this ship :) We were down on deck 10 Baja Deck in an inside cabin. I don't think there are any really bad ones.

If you want to see the production shows you need to get there straight after dinner as the theatre only holds about 400 people. They do all the shows twice so that each dinner seating gets a chance to see them all.

If you want a nice quiet evening with good live music there is the Crooner's bar or the wheelhouse bar. Mummsie

Hi Rockie - you will love the Sapphire Princess and you can dress as casual as you like during the day - you will love the pools in any weather as one pool has a sliding glass roof which they close on cool days and i never seen the pools emtpy or netted over and closed in any weather or at any time (day or night) - the Sapphire Princess is a great ship that has plenty of things to do - but it is not a party boat like our P&O ships - you can still party and have lots of fun - dont forget to grab a Bar Hop card (it is a free card that you have stamped each time you have a drink at a different bar -i think you have to do 13 or 15 different bars to get your prize - usually a t-shirt or hat etc ) a great way to explore the ship and get a present for doing it

Peter & Cheryl

Hi Rockie, We did this cruise in reverse last year. you will have a fantastic time. The pools out the back are the least crowded and they look right out at the world going by. There are 2 pools at the back and 2 spas. This is right near the horizon court where the buffet is. You are not allowed to have barefeet or swimming costumes when you walk through the Horizon Court. I always just wear a sarong or something like that and thongs. The burger and pizza bars are on the same level but up the other end of the ship just near the bigger indoor pool. Burgers and Pizza are free on the Sapphire and they are pretty good too. We ate there most times for lunch. The pools are fantastic - freshwater and are slightly heated. They serve free icecream in the horizon bar every afternoon at 3pm. They also have a sundae bar but you have to pay for the icecreams in there. The Plaza level that you are on is a fantastic location - we were down on deck 10 and we had at least 3 flights of steps up and down to get anywhere. We always use the stairs for exercise. It is a big ship. Its almost 1 kilometer around the promenade deck. We used to do about 5 laps twice a day. There is also a walking track right at the front of the ship on the top level - 10 times around is 1 mile. Remember anything you buy will be in American dollars. The shop on board has cheap clinique makeup. I stocked up big time. :) Mummsie

Rockie,

when you get off the Sapphire next year we will be getting on. We are booked to do Auckland to Syd 23/1/2007. we went on sapphire last year from Sydney to Bangkok and had the most wonderful time. The ship is far superior to the Aust P&O's. We went on pacific Sun this past New Year and couldn't help comparing. As our Pacific Sky Asia trip was cancelled for September we decided to do this cruise. Many of our frineds from last year are now on the Diamond sailing from Sydney to San Fransisco. I went and met them last Thursday night for a drink before they sailed on Friday. Mummsie is right go to the Roll call for Princess and you will find a Roll call going for your cruise already. I made so many frineds in the months leading up to our cruise last year talking to people on the Roll Call and they were just like family when we finally met on the ship. There was plenty of activity to keep you going day and night. We are taking the kids this time so will be interesting. Last year there were only about a dozen kids on board as it was a long cruise and in school time. They have large dedicated areas for the children and teens. They even have their own swimming pool. We cant wait and the kids are excited as it is a different ship and difffernet country from where they have vruised before. You will enjoy but definately go to the roll call

narelle

Thanks for that thread Narelle, I will have a look at that later on. Have 16 month old grandson here at the mo and just snatching bits of time at the pute.

BUT,

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHh we have got upgraded already to a balcony. The travel agent rang me today and said she had tried a different wholesaler and managed to get a balcony, so it is all good. Now just have to win lotto to upgrade to a suite.

Rockie

We went into the travel agent agent last week to book on the Saphire for the April 17th cruise to Los Angeles. But alas, it was all booked out. We weren't told about any waitlists. What does that mean? If someone cancels do you get dibs. Do you have to nominate a specific cabin to get on a waitlist?

We are now considering the Saphire for the March 24 Sydney to Auckland.

I am so confused about the cabins and balconies etc.. I personally like to be in a higher cabin but also am a bit of a freak about creased clothes so would like to be near the laundry. What do to!!!!!!

Cheeso

My travel agent put my on three waitlists for different decks. I assume it means that if someone cancels out they work their way up the list. She tried a different 'wholesaler' whatever that is and they had block booked groups of cabins so we got one of those. Wow, we want to do that final run to the USA from here one day, like the Diamond is doing now and I said we will have to book 18months ahead, but we might have to book 2 years ahead by the looks. Ask about the waitlist and see what they say.

Rockie,

there is a hair dryer in your room. There is also a fridge in your room and TV.

They supply shampoo, conditioner and body lotion fron the Lotus Spa.

There is a safe in your cupboard in the wardrobe area- this is outside the bathroom seperate from the bedroom

I never had a problem with the laundry on board. They take 4 qtrs for each of the washing machine and dryer. There is a coin dispenser in each of the laundry - you put the notes in and it gives out the qtrs. 4 qtrs = $1 aus approx so on avge with P&O ships. There is a laundromat on each level

Archived