QE2 - Land of the Midnight Sun Cruise

cruise pup

I think that cruise involves a little more than we did last Spring. We took the 7 day trip to the Norwegian Fjords in May, and had a wonderful time. Gerrainger Fjord was spectacular, and I have some great photos of the ship in the Fjord. It was wonderful to return to Bergen, as I hadn't been there in 12 years or so. Alesund was fine- not that much to see, but we enjoyed ourselves nonetheless- if she stops there, try hiking up to the view area in the center of town, rather than taking the organized tour- works off some of the calories! We were to go to Flam, and were dissapointed that the weather prevented us from entering that fjord, but, as I really like sea days, was mollified by another wonderful day on board. The ship itself was wonderful- we did get a very nice upgrade, so were spoiled non-stop for seven days.

I've seen the itineraries that travel further North, and they look wonderful. Some day I'll go back...

If it works, here's the ship in Gerrainger Fjord:

772640676_QE2atEaglesBendshot2.jpg.6b1c00946e015609d78f907cb92c2edf.jpg

Glad to hear you are on the cruise. My husband and I are taking it and have been combin the internet for info. There are a number of folks in Spitsberg with Webpages and Webcams. We have been the the Fjords before on a larger ship and they are beautiful (lets hope for good weather). The pictures I see from the North Cape and from Spitsberg are also wonderful. I would like to know what tours are offered or we may just meet up with the locals we have met through their Web pages. We will arrive early in Southampton and will be there on 6/14 and 6/15 when the QM2 arrives. We are now in 3042. It is my 4th trip on the QE2, but my husbands first. Let me know if you need a Web Site. Jim and Karen Wilson.

Thanks. I'm actually booked for June 2007. It's my 50th in 2007 and I promised myself last year that this would be my gift to myself. It's not even on the Cunard website yet but my t.a.'s computer has a direct hook-up to Cunard and was able to book it. Got the largest of the CA category cabins and I know how hard they are to get so that's why I booked so early. Although the price is much higher than I'm used to paying for a cruise, it was still less than an obstructed outside single rate on Grand Princess.

I went on a Land of the Midnight Sun cruise back in 1997 and it was fantastic. In fact I enjoyed it so much I'm booked up again for June this year. Am in a C3 cabin (one of the ones at the back end of deck 1 - hope they're OK!). Was originally travelling single-occupancy but I've finally persuaded my dear old mum to join me - and she's already planning which glamorous outfits and "bling" to bring!

Anyway, hope you have a good time.

Tim.

Glad to hear someone is on the cruise. I believe it is well booked but I have not seen many posts. As I said in my previous posting we are in 3042 although I would prefer Deck 1, no cabins were available. I bet we will have a fantastic voyage. Hope to meet you onboard.

Karen and Jim Wilson

Last year I sailed on the Midnatsol (which is a Hurtigruten ship) from Kirkenes to Bergen. I went to North Cape, and had a wonderful time. I went with my mother rather than my wife - it had been a long term ambition of my mother to do the trip.

About five weeks later my wife and I did the seven day trip to Bergen, Geirangerfjord, Alesund and Flaam. It was really lovely.

And this year I'm off on the Land of the Midnight Sun again - 16/6 - and will have both wife and mother with me. My mother has a single cabin well away from us!

Archived