1st Time Cruiser to Jamaica

jude8

we've been there. if you are on a shore excersion with the cruise ship you'll be fine. we have been to alot of islands and this one ISN'T one to just 'check out' on your own. it is very poor(as many are) but it's main jobs are tourism and drugs. our guide informed us the average wage is $12 a month. vodoo is one of their main religions, which (no pun intended) is pretty scarry to me! We have done alot of tours after we get off the ship on our own and would NEVER do it on Jamacia. take the tour to duns river falls it is really neat, you will get pressured by the vendors afterwards though. keep an eye out and have fun.

If you are going to be an real "out" gay, I imagine it's not a great place. Surprisingly, how many folks that won't step foot on the island posit themselves as experts though... Also, if I were a travelling woman/women, I'd make sure I had a guide.

Jamaica has a hard past and a tough present socio-economically. But it's a beautiful island and if you can connect with the people they're very nice too.

But let's face it, as cruisers, the introduction is difficult. Cruise ports attract the less attractive most pushy vendor types in all ports, and Jamaica is a bigger, tougher, more real place than other typically dinky islands. Given the abundant economic desparation, consider what we present... herds of clueless, money loaded, Dorks!

With a little advanced planning - or otherwise just a strong ability to politely and honestly connect and cut through crap - you'll see a great island and people. It is a gorgeous island. If not, then there's nothing wrong with a day on the ship.

TEST: Can you clench your fist, look an islander square in the eye, bump knuckles - say, "Respect" - and MEAN it - ?

If yes, have a great time. If not, get a guide in advance or stay on the ship.

I like to go to Rick's and jump off the cliff. If your a Reggae fan you may want opt for the Bob Marley tour. Just get a get a cab and tell them to take to "Bob's". You can see Bob's modest boyhood home. We all have weeds that grow in cracks of concrete, but his are ridiculous. At the very least, get off the ship for some coffee.

Jamaica is the reason we started cruising! When our son was a senior in high school, the school was offering a senior class trip to Jamaica. They held an informational meeting at the public library, and only 8 kids and families showed up. The organizers painted such a scary picture (800 high school kids with about a dozen chaperones, no one allowed to leave the resort or wander too far down the beach, stay in groups, watch out for drug dealers on the beach, etc.), that we offered our son the option of going on a four-night cruise - WITH US - instead of the class trip. He jumped at it! Well, that first cruise hooked us! On our third cruise, we DID stop at Ocho Rios. We did the Dunn's River Falls excursion with the cruise line, and because I had recently had hand surgery, I carried all our stuff and walked the stairs while DH, DS, and DD climbed up the falls. At the top, there were a LOT of people pressuring us for tips, a lot of women wanting to braid our hair, etc. That's where that wonderful phrase, "No, thanks" comes in really handy. We did wander into town on our own (in search of sun block) and had no problem at all. In fact, we "negotiated" a terrific rate with a taxi driver to get us back to the ship (he started his "bid" at $20, and we ended up paying $6). Would we go back to Jamaica? Sure! And I totally agree with all who have suggested that you get off the ship, see the island for yourself. Then, if you don't like it, stay on the ship next time. Who knows? You just might have a good time!

We consider every new island an adventure. When things don't go well, it becomes a story for us to laugh about later. And believe me, we HAVE had some stories to tell!:rolleyes:

My husband and I have traveled to many parts of the world, including parts of Africa. I can comfortably say that I felt the most wary in Jamaica. Part of the problem might have been the cruise line spooked us so badly before we even got off of the ship. Telling us about the drugs, the "fake" cab drivers that will try to pick you up and "take you into the hills to rob you", don't take anything from a local, stay in groups... so we were petrified and probably should have just stayed on the ship. We ended up taking a cab ("real" cab drivers are in uniform) to Dunns River Falls where we hammered for tips, had a young man literally rip the camera out of my hand and take a picture of my husband and I and then demand a tip (you should see that photo...like a couple of deer in the headlights). When we tried to leave we found the exit was through this "authentic Jamaican Village" where we felt trapped and surrounded by vendors shouting at us to come in to their huts to buy salt and pepper shakers shaped like sex organs. When we finally made it out we then had to face the gauntlet of "fake" cab drivers trying to convince us they'll take us back to the ship. When our real cab driver (great guy!) showed up he literally chased them off and took us back to the ship. All in all we spent about 2 hrs off the ship and that was enough for us. We spent the rest of the day on our balcony watching the parasailers and sipping cocktails - MUCH BETTER!

That being said...from what we saw from our cab of Jamaica we thought it was a beautiful island. If we had taken a ship sponsored excursion we probably would have had a much different experience. A few people we met on the ship went to all inclusive resorts and spent the day on the beach - they really enjoyed that!

I think someone put it best before, if you're already freaked out about getting off the ship then you probably shouldn't. If you really want to see the island take a ship excursion, stay in a group and you should be fine.

Whatever you end up doing, remember, it's a cruise and it's supposed to be fun and relaxing!!!! Enjoy yourself!!

:mad: I've never been to Jamaica on a cruise, but have stayed at a "Beaches" resort there. The island is beautiful, however I wouldn't go back. As I said, it's beautful, but the people are not.

The resort told us in no uncertain terms NOT to go away from the resort unattended or with anyone who was not directly associated with the resort.

I knew it was going to be bad when we were on the shuttle from the airport, our shuttle was pelted with beer bottles from locals. It was very scary.

We were taken to a local market, and were constantly approached to buy pot.

It's a personal opinion, but not a place I enjoyed. Hubby and I enjoy different cultures, but in Jamaica, they don't seem particularly friendly to the tourists who are their bread and butter.

I agree with most of what other posters have already said. We spent a week in Negril about 15 years ago and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately since then our visits to Jamaica have always been via ship, and our experiennces have been much less positive. The last time we were on a Western Caribbean cruise, our waiter said the crew was not allowed to get off the ship in Jamaica because of recent violence. If I were in charge of a cruise line, I would not feel comfortable taking passengers to a port I considered too risky for my staff!

I think Jamaica is for you if you're the kind of person that enjoys long slow root canals.

Wow! What an ignorant comment, especially coming from a dentist.

Our first experience in Jamaica was from a cruise ship--the island was so beautiful we decided to return for a land vacation. Twenty five trips later, it is our home away from home. We love it for the weather and beauty of the island, the beaches, the reggae, the jerk chicken and Red Stripe beer, but especially for the warm and friendly people. Our children would rather go there than to Disney!

There are many others here who have discussed the economic issues, etc. associated with the port area of a third world country, so I won't repeat, but it is a shame to let your limited experience blind you to all of the positive attributes of Jamaica.

Dear Mizzlee,

What was ignorant was your personal attack on me.

"Wow! What an ignorant comment, especially coming from a dentist."

My remark is based on the personal and professional experience that endodontic therapy EVEN when performed painlessly is not perceived as a happy experience, more often a necessary evil.Come sit in any dental office for a few days and see how many people look foreward to and enjoy their root canals.Our goal is to save teeth and to minimize the negative aspects of the treatment.

Perhaps you are different. Maybe you enjoy the discomfort. That would explain why as a masochist you would enjoy Jamaica.(Only kidding)But perhaps you have been fortunate and have not encountered the horrible experiences that many including myself have had there. Consider youself lucky.

But don't try to tell me a root canal is fun...as a dentist who has done thousands sucessfully.I can assure you it is not.At best it is a neutral event despite the propaganda of the ADA.

Make an arrangment with one of the well regarded local guides, or take a ship excursion...

If you're in Ochy and you don't climb Dunn's River Falls that's a shame... (Forget the 'falls guides', it's easier to do free handed and the guides want tips - surprise!) The vendors at DRF are no pushier than you'll be exposed to in St. Lucia. Just mean what you say - politely - and say NO. Its true, the cruiselines are almost counter productive in prepping pax for the island. But just like the islanders, the cruiselines are just out to peddle their own stuff - excursions...

There is a LOT of drug peddling in Jamaica (mostly reefer). OK - they grow superior weed and North Americans buy it by the ton. Is it their fault for growing it (to alleviate their poverty) or ours for buying it (to alleviate what - privilege)?? If you visit Choyobo Gardens in Ochy they've even got some ganja growing on display there; Jamaicans have a different attitude than us toward the weed... Our government's pressure on Jamaica's to keep it criminalized (they've gone back and forth) undermines the integrity of local law enforcement there because their hearts not in it being criminalized...

Otherwise, it's a gorgeous island. The locals are NOT the most outwardly friendly. They are a little sullen until you connect a little. You'll note the same of Jamaican ship crew. It's cultural. But they are very nice friendly people once the right introduction is made. Contrary to what other posters have said, the Jamiacan economy is not tourism based (its NOT their 'bread and butter') and in foreign currency bauxite is as important. As a friend of mine said about Jamaica (and the Third World generally), "Where raw materials meet raw capitalism!". That can cause a wary less than 'chipper' tourist environment.

Jamaica does have its loyalists and a tourism industry of returning visiters so that shows that it appeals to some. If you are willing to approach it with planning and awareness that you are visiting a third world locale (rather than St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, or Cozumel) you'll probably have a great 'real' experience. If that is too much to do on vacation, that's fine, enjoy the ship!

Some of its pretty interesting....Especially since it looks like the US is its main source of hand out money.

Dave:eek:

http://www.theodora.com/wfbcurrent/jamaica/jamaica_economy.html

BTW: It also mentions 9/11. What it does fail to say is that Jamiaca was one of a handfull of countries that gouged prices.

Necessary items for tourists trippled and quadruppled. Hotel prices shot up to unafforable rates. They put the squeeze on tourists big time.

On the other hand islands such as Aruba, where I was 'fortunate' enough to be at the time, CUT, hotel rates, offered additional ammenities, gave FREE internet access, FREE 3 minute phone calls to take care of things back home. And even fed tourist who were unable to get cash from ATMS, or were low on funds.

Jamaica simply took advantage of a bad situation.

And while I tried to like Jamaica, I gave it the three strikes rule. They struck out.

I do agree it is a love hate thing. I don't get it, because you couldn't pay me to go there and I avoid cruises that have it as a stop. If I happen to get a ship that goes there, it will remain a sea day for me.

I speak from experience having spent an entire week there. The people are not friendly at all, constantly look for ways to rip you off. You might was well have a target saying tourist painted on your forehead. As for Dunns River falls, very pretty to look at. Hazardous to climb and a rip off. The nice guides are very happy to hold your gear as you climb. But when you get to the top (if you haven't broken a limb on the mossy rocks), then you must give them a "tip" if you want to get your stuff back.

Badgering by unwanted solicitation for drugs, t-shirts and whatever other junk they have is more than annoying.

As for scenic, I beg to differ. Take that first ride from the airport to the hotel (Between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios) and we saw nothing but dead cows on the the side of the road, people sitting around mid-morning on a weekday drinking their beers, smoking their "stuff". As advised by the hotel, unless you are on a guided tour, don't leave the resort. Oh, and did I tell you about the armed guards with machine guns stationed at each end of the resort?

This was the most hiddeous island I've been too, and given so many other beautiful choices, I just avoid this at all cost. Why should I jeopardize my safety and enjoyment because I might get a glimpse at a waterfall when there are other islands of equal beauty but without the all the risks.

I rarely post on this site with strong opinons or objections, but I really do feel strongly about this one. I'll pass thank you.

I do agree it is a love hate thing. I don't get it, because you couldn't pay me to go there and I avoid cruises that have it as a stop. If I happen to get a ship that goes there, it will remain a sea day for me.

I speak from experience having spent an entire week there. The people are not friendly at all, constantly look for ways to rip you off. You might was well have a target saying tourist painted on your forehead. As for Dunns River falls, very pretty to look at. Hazardous to climb and a rip off. The nice guides are very happy to hold your gear as you climb. But when you get to the top (if you haven't broken a limb on the mossy rocks), then you must give them a "tip" if you want to get your stuff back.

Badgering by unwanted solicitation for drugs, t-shirts and whatever other junk they have is more than annoying.

As for scenic, I beg to differ. Take that first ride from the airport to the hotel (Between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios) and we saw nothing but dead cows on the the side of the road, people sitting around mid-morning on a weekday drinking their beers, smoking their "stuff". As advised by the hotel, unless you are on a guided tour, don't leave the resort. Oh, and did I tell you about the armed guards with machine guns stationed at each end of the resort?

This was the most hiddeous island I've been too, and given so many other beautiful choices, I just avoid this at all cost. Why should I jeopardize my safety and enjoyment because I might get a glimpse at a waterfall when there are other islands of equal beauty but without the all the risks.

I rarely post on this site with strong opinons or objections, but I really do feel strongly about this one. I'll pass thank you.

Megaditto-double bullseye-home run-tru dat !!!!

Some of its pretty interesting....Especially since it looks like the US is its main source of hand out money.

"Hand out money" hmmm... according to the CIA fact book you cite,

Jamaica sold the US $278 million in goods (ganja notwithstanding I suppose); and,

Jamaica received $18.5 million in US aid, thus totalling less than $300 million;

but,

Jamaica BOUGHT $1.58 Billion of US goods...

In, sum the US economy receives about $1.5 Billion Net from Jamaica annually.

So much for hand outs Bubu, but that attitude is why we're loved overseas and why you shouldn't take offense if a Rasta says, "If you want to be a colonialist stay in Aruba!"

Real world places have real world problems...

If you want to see the world then by all means see Jamaica - but off a cruise ship, get a guide or do an excursion... because, although beautiful, Jamaica requires a traveler's sensibility rather than a tourist's. If you have a traveler's sensibility, once you know Jamaica "It's eiree mon" :)

If this is an, "I can't be bothered, I just want to relax", vacation, then an empty ship is mighty relaxing...

I never said they were booming...

We give them aid so we can run them into debt... That's the way of the world man. We'll give them a tiny down payment so they a ton of junk from us. It's like the credit card companies...

I can't help but note that it's "just a coincidence" that the annual trade embalance (in our favor) with Jamaica not quite exceeds Jamaica's foreign currency and gold reserves...

Oh, they know what they're doing on Wall Street... that's for sure.

Real world places have real world problems...

If you want to see the world then by all means see Jamaica - but off a cruise ship, get a guide or do an excursion... because, although beautiful, Jamaica requires a traveler's sensibility rather than a tourist's. If you have a traveler's sensibility, once you know Jamaica "It's eiree mon" :)

If this is an, "I can't be bothered, I just want to relax", vacation, then an empty ship is mighty relaxing...

Well said....illustrates a knowledgeable, level-headed, open-minded approach to modern travel today. We all must make choices...start simply and make decisions based on what you learn about what the destination country is offering and what you wish to receive.

sums up what is wrong with cruising and most that go.

I just want to see the "prettied up" places and only those things that are similar to what we have at home. I don't want to spend money in the country because "they" are just out to rip US(A) off. Get off your high horses people. It ain't the US and if you want it to be the USA why did you leave the country? Also, to those who think all countries should think the way we do, sorry they don't. Why don't you all show a little respect for others and their customs when you are a guest in a country that is not your own. Oh, I get it the world is your oyster and what the US does doesn't smell in the least...why do people insist on shoving their ideas down each others throats???

go ahead and be a traveler, not a spoiled brat! You will enjoy the world much more and maybe the world won't hate US(A) so much.

Archived