CB - Bringing Hangers and Coffeemakers?

CrusinAgain

If we need coffee before room service arrives, believe me, DH will find coffee and bring it back to the cabin.

Well for the very first time DH and the kids are staying home and its must me and my sister and we plan to relax the stress away. :D

But I understand what you are saying and DH's don't have to get their faces on or their hair done before they venture out the door. :eek:

What type of coffee maker is easily packed, which does not take up excessive amount of room? I could be interested in this, if it would work for us.

We purchased a small (8-cup) coffeemaker at Target for around $15 before our cruise in September and I kept it inside the box; packed it in a suitcase. (I have since designated it as the cruise coffeemaker). DH & I will both gladly pack one less pair of shoes in order to have drinkable coffee. As a "Seattleite" I realize I have a coffee problem, but I have accepted it and do not intend to change....nor do I intend to spend a week drinking what Princess calls coffee. AWFUL. The best way to get your cream/sugar is when you complete your breakfast tag, just write in cream, 1/2 and 1/2, or nonfat milk or whatever you like to put in your coffee. They brought us a little pitcher of 1/2 and 1/2 every morning. We loved, absolutely loved, being able to drink a good, hot cup of coffee in our pjs out on the balcony as the mountains, waterfalls, lighthouses, etc in Alaska sailed by. We also were so "crazy" as to bring a couple of insulated mugs to bring our own coffee with us up to the buffet for breakfast or to walk on the Promenade deck in the morning. In Alaska especially, this was very handy!

Sheri:) :D :)

I bought a Black & Decker 1 cup coffee maker. I bought it at a Black & Decker discount store for approx. $11.00. It comes with an insulated mug, but you can take your own mug from home if you like. I like it because it is small, lightweight, has no glass carafe, and it was cheap. If something happens to it I can replace it for just a small amount of money. It's great to be able to sit out on your balcony with a cup of coffee in your pj's and watch the sun come up. To us it is worth the extra effort.

I love coffee, adore good coffee. I just can't justify giving up shoe space for a coffee maker. I've thought about it, but won't do it. My Crown sailing is going to have to include liquid coffee goo, like it or not.

I pack the clothes in a garmet bag and then take a garbage bag on put over all the items I take another one and put it on the bottom. No wrinkles and no moisture should there be a problem. I also leave them on the hangers.

Happy cruising!

Pam, our steward brought us another half a dozen hangers, but said that was all there were. Between the three of us in the cabin we could have used more. I will take some next cruise, but since the fire on the Star, am going to rethink the coffee pot. Karen

uote=Pam in MA]Have you tried asking for more? Your steward will bring you as many as you need or want. IMHO, it's silly to pack or bring hangers since you can always get more.

Since we graduated to balcony cabins, we take a small coffee maker with our favorite flavored coffee. Quite honestly I don't find the coffee on the ship that bad, but I want to sit on my balcony with a cup of coffee and relax as long as I want. I also order coffee delivered to the room and keep the cream and sweetner (hidden in drawer so steward doesn't take it thinking he/she is cleaning up). I have also been known to pour cream in a cup from the Horizon Court and take back to the cabin. As a matter of fact, upon arrival when our most recent steward saw that we had a coffee maker, he brought cups and saucers and kept them replenished each time he cleaned the room (he also received an extra tip).

As for hangers, I like to pack my clothes already on hangers, straight from the dry cleaners. However, it does add to the weight limit for airlines, so I may have to rethink the packing. Also I found that the wooden hangers on the ship take up more room than the dry cleaner's hangers. I actually have asked the steward to take away some of their hangers.

My husband hates the coffee on the ship. I bought him the Black and Decker one that comes with the insulated mug. Easier to pack and you don't have to worry about breakage. We get milk from the buffet and leave it in our mini fridge. (he doesn't use sugar) He travels a lot and has been keeping the little coffee pouches that they offer in hotel rooms. They are coffee and filter in one and they fit perfectly in these mini coffee makers. Nothing to measure out and no extra mess. (Sheratons and Westins have Starbucks coffee pouches) He found if he made the "good" coffee in the morning, he didn't mind drinking the ships coffee later in the day. He used to go to the Patisserie where they made decent coffee (not the liquid served elsewhere on the ship) but on our trip on the Dawn Princess last month we found they started to charge for that coffee.

As for hangers: the steward brought me more than I needed.

Susan

I like the idea of leaving the small coffee maker when we leave the ship, but I wonder just how many do this?

I can envision an entire storage area full of assorted coffee makers - Perhaps like the hanger situation, we could just ask for one!:)

I like the idea of leaving the small coffee maker when we leave the ship, but I wonder just how many do this?

I can envision an entire storage area full of assorted coffee makers - Perhaps like the hanger situation, we could just ask for one!:)

Each time we leave the coffeemaker behind we ASK the room steward IF they can use it when we leave. Only once were we told NO as this room stewardess was leaving after our cruise. So we asked our favorite bartender if he could use it and he was thrilled to take it.

Most tell us they can't wait to take it down to their cabin and be able to have coffee first thing before work, and they get very excited about it.

My understanding is that they often trade it to another staff member for something else they want. :)

We consider it just a bit of an added bonus for them, and we also leave the extra coffee we brought that we didn't use.

• 1 month later...

Adding my 2 cents about coffeemakers, for what it is worth...

In July, my DH and I are taking our first cruise for our honeymoon. I have been searching the boards for good tips, and while I might be sorry upon reflection, as soon as I heard the idea of taking a coffeemaker with us, I searched Internet stores for a good deal.

Having GOOD coffee first thing in the morning is really non-negotiable for my DH and myself, and we have heard mixed reviews of the coffee onboard Princess. We also sprang for a balcony stateroom, and love the idea of waking up early, coffee in hand, and relaxing on our balcony. We got the kind that comes with two travel mugs, so it was a great value all around. I'll be happy to come back to the boards afterwards and let you know how we fared with it, but IMHO, it's a small measure and a VERY small price to have something we relish so much.

We wouldn't consider smuggling alcohol on board, and we don't expect to do much shopping or gambling on the ship, but in the words of a true addict, WE NEED OUR COFFEE! :D To each his/her own!

Happy Cruising!

Vanessa

Well we did take a small coffeemaker and just got the cups, sugar, spoons from the Lido the nite before. It sure was wonderful to get up, turn it on and have coffee within a few minutes and sit out on the deck watching the sunrise and knowing not only the coffee is good but you don't have to look half-way decent to answer the door for room service.

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

With the fire on the Star Princess, the regulations specifically forbid appliances such as hot plates and coffee makers in the cabins. Don't be surprised if they enforce the regulations and you aren't allowed to keep or plug in your coffee maker.

With the fire on the Star Princess, the regulations specifically forbid appliances such as hot plates and coffee makers in the cabins. Don't be surprised if they enforce the regulations and you aren't allowed to keep or plug in your coffee maker.

Thanks, Pam – I was going to say the same thing. On Regal Princess, coffee makers, cup warmers, anything with a burner or warmer were forbidden from cabins. In addition to that, there was mention made that anything that plugs in – camera or phone chargers, blow dryers, curling irons – should be unplugged when the cabin is not occupied (and I would assume the Room Steward would take it upon themselves to do so if need be).

Wow...good to know! I actually called the 800-princess line to ask if we were able to take our coffeemaker onboard, and the customer service rep. replied, "Sure, lots of people do, just no iron, hotplates, or anything with open flames." Hmmmm....how do I find out for sure?

Wow...good to know! I actually called the 800-princess line to ask if we were able to take our coffeemaker onboard, and the customer service rep. replied, "Sure, lots of people do, just no iron, hotplates, or anything with open flames." Hmmmm....how do I find out for sure?

How you find out for sure is a good question. But a coffee maker has a hot-plate like warmer (although it may not be as hot as a hot-plate) and we were told on board they were forbidden. Coffee makers, if left on with a glass carafe on them, can and do cause fires, so it made sense to me that they were no longer allowed.

I'm astounded at how many people bring coffee makers on board. OMG.

If you're so addicted to the coffee or need the caffeine fix, why not simply

drink a Coke or something to get your fix, and for the diabetics in the crowd,

how about a sugar-free Coke? I used to be addicted to coffee and all

caffeine and then my body couldn't handle it anymore and I've been

caffeine free for over 3 years. I never ever thought I could detox from

the stuff, but amazingly, I have.

What I'm saying is if you just can't wait to get your fix, drink the caffeinated

soda so that it will hold you before you get your coffee via room service

or before going to the Horizon Court. There's just not enough extra room

in my suitcase to put a coffee maker....

I've seen so many threads lately about people wanting to bring this and that.

Extra hangers? Ask for them when aboard.

The worst yet has to be the people that wanted to know if they

could bring their camping chairs on board to put on their balcony.

I think it's weird that people bring stuff like that on board. If you can't make-do without the creature comforts of home, then maybe you ought not cruise.

I specifically picked a model that did NOT have a warming component or a caraffe - the coffee pours directly into two thermos-like travel mugs, then shuts off. I didn't include this info in the previous posts. Sorry - that might make a difference.

I don't want to open a bag of worms, as my experience on CC has been wonderful so far, but I have read previous posts regarding following guidelines, and I am always of the mindset not to rock the boat, pardon the pun.:) This is my first cruise, and even though I will be on my honeymoon, I certainly don't feel like we need to have the best cruise possible "by any means necessary." I don't want to break the rules and I CERTAINLY don't want to put anyone in danger (ie the Star incident). If the customer service rep. said it was okay, should I take her at her word, or is there somewhere else I should call/contact?

What I'm saying is if you just can't wait to get your fix, drink the caffeinated

I think it's weird that people bring stuff like that on board. If you can't make-do without the creature comforts of home, then maybe you ought not cruise.

The reason for bringing coffee makers onboard has nothing to do with waiting for room service or anything else. It is a way to get a decent cup of coffee (which is not available onboard through room service or at the Horizon Court). We have cruised Princess 16 times and have that many cruises on other lines and we have ALWAYS brought some type of coffee maker with us and will continue to even if I have to hide the darned thing in the cupboard after use each morning. Huff Huff :D :D

Glad to hear you are off caffine, but that is you and not us. I have no wants or needs to get off caffine and do not intend to. Thank You!

You certainly have a right to your opinion, and I appreciate that you wouldn't go through the effort. I agree, it is silly, but it's a little comfort from home that makes me and my DH happy. I might not make the choice to bring some of the things along that you couldn't imagine leaving at home. Honestly, if you have a problem due to safety, or because it is braking the rules, then I would be fully in support of your judgements. But assuming it is okay, not dangerous, and not forbidden for other reasons, why deprive us of our creature comforts? I guess I just don't see why you feel so strongly about it.

Cruise happy!

Vanessa

You certainly have a right to your opinion, and I appreciate that you wouldn't go through the effort. I agree, it is silly, but it's a little comfort from home that makes me and my DH happy. I might not make the choice to bring some of the things along that you couldn't imagine leaving at home. Honestly, if you have a problem due to safety, or because it is braking the rules, then I would be fully in support of your judgements. But assuming it is okay, not dangerous, and not forbidden for other reasons, why deprive us of our creature comforts? I guess I just don't see why you feel so strongly about it.

Cruise happy!

Vanessa

Yes, I do have a right to my OPINION which is why I posted my OPINION. It is only that, an OPINION. It's nice to have different points of view. You do not have to accept my view. I can appreciate that you don't like my view.

And yes, I will and do cruise happy

The reason for bringing coffee makers onboard has nothing to do with waiting for room service or anything else. It is a way to get a decent cup of coffee (which is not available onboard through room service or at the Horizon Court). We have cruised Princess 16 times and have that many cruises on other lines and we have ALWAYS brought some type of coffee maker with us and will continue to even if I have to hide the darned thing in the cupboard after use each morning. Huff Huff :D :D

Glad to hear you are off caffine, but that is you and not us. I have no wants or needs to get off caffine and do not intend to. Thank You!

BTW, when I did drink coffee I saw absolutely nothing wrong with Princess coffee. I am not suggesting that you change your habits, ToTo. I was merely conveying my own experience. I do, however, like to wake up and

smell the coffee!

AMEN SISTER!

FINALLY A POST WITH SOME COMMON SENSE!

I WILL EVEN SACRIFICE BRINGING MY CURLING IRON IF NEED BE.

I always hang our clothes on wire hangers, it is so much quicker to unpack. Put them in suitcase and in garment bag, fold neatly, with plastic bags over all, quick into closet. Coffee makers are nice if you want to take your time waking up in the AM. It is easier then going to get it. NCL has them in the staterooms, I don't believe they are a real hazard as a lot of them turn off after a certain period of time, and the room steward will be in after your gone as well. I'm sure they woud turn off a pot that was left on. The fire safety issue is great, but I don't think coffee makers are the problem. I grab a small container of milk from the buffet and keep in fridge. NCL has them on the ships we've been on, as well. Can't wait!

Archived