Right side of ship for Hubbard Glacier??

ParrotTops

We are booked in a cabin on the right side of the ship for Mercury out of Seattle. I read on one thread that only the people in the left side of the ship could see the Glacier from their cabins--could that possible be correct info? Doesn't the ship turn around so everyone can see the glacier??

Did that cruise on Infinity 8/03 and Mercury last August, both times in oceanview (non-balcony) rooms.

I would not recommend staying in your cabin, even if it's a balcony, during the glacier visit, unless you have reasons you need to (mobility-challenged, ill, exceptionally sensitive to cold, etc.).

Both times, I have gone up, early, to the highest and furthest-forward spot on the ship, to watch the approach, enjoy (from many sides, without switching spots) the sights and sounds (calving "thunder" is amazing) of Hubbard Glacier. You can "see" it from any vantage point on the ship at some point during the time it's there, but this is a sight IMO that you want to really immerse yourself in -- it's so big, so amazing, with so many things to focus on, that to thoroughly "experience" it, this is my recommendation ... p.s. be sure to have binoculars PLUS a snug hat & coat & gloves, may be the only time on the Alaska cruise you need the wintry wear, but they're a must for the glacier time -- TR

We were on the left (Port) side of the Mercury with 2 balconies and we enjoyed our view of the entry into Hubbard Glacier, seeing the other glaciers from our side of the ship. The Mercury made a couple of spins around so all could see the Glacier - Saw and heard Calfing - If we were in the sun it was warm - then in the shade gragging jackets, gloves etc. After viewing the Mercury served High Tea in the dinning room and that was the best view of all off the aft of the ship seeing the Glacier as we moved away.

Our grandkids marveled at the icebergs as we driffed by them, the blue was intriging. We could hardly hear the narator from our balcony but realized it was on the TV also.

I know you will enjoy either side - order from room service, hot cocoa and clam chowder we did and it was great.

Francine

Archived