Did I really get upgraded?

stugots

I was assigned to B3 hull balcony (4120) and was just notified of upgrade to A2 11024. While I'm happy about the balcony, I notice the room has an adjoining stateroom door. I am concerned about the noise.

Anyone have similar stateroom? What are my chances of getting another stateroom?

Thanks for your information.

John

I was assigned to B3 hull balcony (4120) and was just notified of upgrade to A2 11024. While I'm happy about the balcony, I notice the room has an adjoining stateroom door. I am concerned about the noise.

Anyone have similar stateroom? What are my chances of getting another stateroom?

Thanks for your information.

John

The only time I noticed anything coming from the next stateroom was mid-afternoon, when they occasionally played their TV loudly. That didn't come through the door, I think, but the wall!

My recomendation- a $5.00 (or less) roll of duct tape- Goes on around the door frame, will pull off easily (don't press too hard) should do a fine job of buffering.

Congratulations on your good luck!

Karie, who wouldn't mind an upgrade.

I had an adjoining roon on deck 6 and could hear conversation in the next room. What was really cool was when their alarm clock went off. It was loud. I'd use foam and duct tape if you take the room. Threadbrain

An alternative is to stand next to the door and have a loud, alarming, conversation so that THEY know that sound travels....like

• 'Pass the Whip!' or
  • 'Take off the spurs - you'll rip the sheets!

You get the idea......;)

Peter

Well that would certainly keep your neighbours interested Peter!

We have had an interconnecting door previously and heard nothing. We did hear some loud teenagers through the wall (just once- lots of laughing that's all) and the murmur of conversation previously when we didn't have a connecting door. These were on other cruise lines but I would imagine are similar.

I suppose it depends on how loud your neighbours are - I just think what can they hear from us! (Now Karie - be careful!!)

As we have a connecting door this time, I'll try to remember the tape.

Heywood

(hoping that we won't be in the room long enough to be disturbed)

The addendums are catching Karie!

Well that would certainly keep your neighbours interested Peter!

We have had an interconnecting door previously and heard nothing. We did hear some loud teenagers through the wall (just once- lots of laughing that's all) and the murmur of conversation previously when we didn't have a connecting door. These were on other cruise lines but I would imagine are similar.

I suppose it depends on how loud your neighbours are - I just think what can they hear from us! (Now Karie - be careful!!)

As we have a connecting door this time, I'll try to remember the tape.

Heywood

(hoping that we won't be in the room long enough to be disturbed)

The addendums are catching Karie!

Now this thread is getting INTERESTING!

I cannot vouch for whether or not you are disturbed, nor whether or not that was a pre-existing condition <LOL>

But, hmm, I did hear talk of a certan someone last year on a QE2 crossing speaking of whips and such! Ooops Sorry, Peter, that was you, wasn't it!

Well, I've told my Cunard "Chuck, Chuck, it's so big! Chuck!" story. (repeatedly over the course of a 7 or 10 day cruise, boy, talk about your energizer bunny!) I assume she was talking about the nice drink he had brought her, or perhaps the view of the vast Caribbean as we neared Antigua! And I don't believe that room was an adjoining one! So there are no guarantees. And of course the rooms share what I am sure is an air plenum ceiling where all the pipes and ductwork are.

Karie, who may bring along a glass to hold up against the wall, spy-like, in case the neighbors aren't loud enough to hear any good tidbits! <G>

This is only somewhat related, but here goes:

Many years ago when I was a teenager, my parents, brother, the family dog, and I stayed in a motel with thin walls. You could hear a muffled conversation next door until the dog jumped on my mother's lap, and she said very loudly "Jacques, don't kiss!" Jacques, of course, being the dog's name.

The silence next door was immediate and lasting!

Peter, Cunard suggests you not use leather whips. Long hemp tassels are acceptable during the day only. Also, the spurs must have rounded edges and may not be worn outside of the cabin. Threadly

Do you think we should start a poll........;)

Peter

We had an interconnecting cabin on deck six two weeks ago, and we could hear everything going on next door.

Fortunately the couple in the next room appeared to have left their spurs and whips in the dungeon at home, so it wasn't too bad.

I tried a rolled up beach towel along the bottom of the door but it did no good.

I would request a change of cabin, on 11 deck, of course.

What if your neighbors are smokers? Those itsy bitsy molecules of smoke can squeeze through tiny places. I can hear the leader of the pack of molecules shouting commands to his molecular troopers, who are queued up in formation ready to attack your cabin, shout the command, " OK, gang, I see an opening, squeeze through. The last one in is third-hand smoke!" Threadknot

Ah Ha.. NOW I know why people keep recommending taking duct tape...when wrapped properly it will mute the sounds of the whip...assuming one uses the conventional leather whip that is. And thus not be an annoyance to one's neighbor who, like Karie, might be poised with a glass to the wall, or an ear to the keyhole in the connecting door! Long hemp tassles have a certain rustic appeal but this is THE QUEEN...certainly there are some standards to be upheld, no?

Cheers, Penny...shame on me...the devil himself made me reply to this thread!! Hmmm, note to self...pack duct tape

PS..Poor Stugots...all he wanted to know was if this was a good upgrade, and look what we did to his perfectly reasonable question!!! Deck 11 works for me...that's where I'll be on Dec 2nd, only I wasn't lucky enough to get an upgrade there. Sorry we digressed, or is it regressed, so badly Stugots...we are a bad lot sometimes!!

Now Peter...about that poll.....

Ah Ha.. NOW I know why people keep recommending taking duct tape...when wrapped properly it will mute the sounds of the whip...assuming one uses the conventional leather whip that is.

Cheers, Penny...shame on me...the devil himself made me reply to this thread!! Hmmm, note to self...pack duct tape

You know, I wonder if it's too late to cancel my Labor Day cruise and re-book to the Dec 2 cruise? (despite the fact I will have just gotten home from Key West bearly three weeks earlier!) I'm starting to think I would like the people on that cruise. Bunch of stodgy old fuddy-duddies likely to be on MY trip! <G> (No, not you, Maria, You're likely to come out of the salon with Purple hair this time! Marc wondered who that new red-head I was talking to at dinner that night was!)

Hey, does anyone know if leather regalia is appropriate for formal night?

You know, those strappy little numbers? I mean, the body-suits which consist of nothing BUT straps?

Karie,

Who once followed a "gentleman" down the stairs to the Halloween Costume party in the disco and he was wearing NOTHING but that strappy thing.... and a leather hat and a smile!

What if the people in the adjoining rooms are into telling really bad, extremely loud lawyer jokes. One neighbor yells at the other who is in the bathroom, "Hey, did you see the new sushi bar on Deck !3? It's just for lawyers. It's called 'Sosumi'!" Yet another possible reason to avoid adjoining rooms. Threadhead

You know, I wonder if it's too late to cancel my Labor Day cruise and re-book to the Dec 2 cruise?

What can we do to convince you, Karie!:) I too actually looked at the Labour (had to spell it the Canadian/British way) Day cruise but went for the longer Dec 2 cruise instead. Haven't regretted it.

I thought I was odd booking a December trip so far in advance but I found out I was actually late compared to some other people. I shall not name names but they know who they are! Right? :D

The Dec 2 cruise is shaping up to be a fun crowd. We are a rather mixed crowd from at least three different countries that I count so far. The UN should take notes on our cruise on how to conduct business. Then again do we want our UN reps drinking and fishing and having way too much fun instead of working?:eek:

Cunard may never be the same again! Now that will really get everyone here talking about how it used to be.

David

"Cunard may never be the same again! Now that will really get everyone here talking about how it used to be." Bramcruiser quote

David, David, David....you are giving away way too many of our secrets!! Now everyone will want to come and we'll be crowded!! We do have room for you Karie, it's never too late to change. And if you've just gotten back from the Keys, think how good your tan will still be!!!

Now about that strappy little leather thing Karie...definitely in black for formal night and ONLY with a good tan....altho everywhere I shop lately they keep telling me that brown is the new black!!!

Cheers, Penny...who promises she will behave from here on....maybe...

Ah Ha.. NOW I know why people keep recommending taking duct tape...when wrapped properly it will mute the sounds of the whip...assuming one uses the conventional leather whip that is. And thus not be an annoyance to one's neighbor who, like Karie, might be poised with a glass to the wall, or an ear to the keyhole in the connecting door! Long hemp tassles have a certain rustic appeal but this is THE QUEEN...certainly there are some standards to be upheld, no?

PS..Poor Stugots...all he wanted to know was if this was a good upgrade, and look what we did to his perfectly reasonable question!!! Deck 11 works for me...that's where I'll be on Dec 2nd, only I wasn't lucky enough to get an upgrade there. Sorry we digressed, or is it regressed, so badly Stugots...we are a bad lot sometimes!!

Now Peter...about that poll.....

No apology needed! In fact, my wife wants to sign up for Dec. 2 cruise and is filing off the points on the spurs.

Actually when I travel somewhere with 2000 people, I expect a small inconvenience or distraction. That is true even on the QM2. I will enjoy the trip regardless. Just wanted to hear if noise was a major or minor nuisance with adjoining doors. Thanks again maybe we'll meet at the "sosumi bar".

John and Beth

Sosumi Bar..have to put that one on my ever expanding "things not to miss on the QM2" list....now what deck is it on?

John, do come join us on Dec 2nd but tell you wife not to file the spurs...takes away from the moment!!

In all seriousness, that is a lovely upgrade you got. We chose Deck 11 for the balcony and so I could just sit up in bed and see the ocean. I think I will be in heaven! Our TA did warn against adjoining doors but I've read others who have had no problem. Just the luck of the draw I'd say as to who is next door and what they do....and I don't mean the whips and spurs thing...a loud TV drives me over the edge. Then again, duct tape seems to have so many other uses...Cheers, Penny

Archived