Good Evening

ergator

Well, I did it. Booked a handicapped stateroom on the Norwegian Sun for next February. Has anybody traveled on that ship?

Now, on to finding a motel room the week before Mardi Gras in NOLA

Done several Sun and Star and another; get them mixed up. Did not use the handicapped cabin as I use a manual sports chair and can ambulate some.

All cruises excellent, trouble is I was in the top suites. So lots of room and those extra services. NCL is always great with getting me on and off and for

lifeboat muster drill. Did great on docking but tendering was never great.

We got a change of dining arrangements with no hassle twice. They were great everywhere and even the buffett was bearable at off peak times. They are hard pressed to get your tray due to staffing. No staff knew I was a Lattitudes club member or in the Owners Suite. I tipped a waiter in the Buffett the first day or so and got great service from a youth from Poland. Did get elevator door hits and the few larger doors were dangerous.

Never let them close you in in the dining room: get a space or seat on the ends or last seat. Had fun in the Disco, but lots of "Baby Boomers" like I said we cruised twice yearly before I got "old" now at least once. Nice military pension. Better than Walmart, NCL seems to put "gimps" in the same lifeboat so I got to meet most all in wheelchairs on each cruise, many youth. I like NCL, just got tired of the routes so I am trying other lines now, will be back.

In the ports think yours are Western Carib? The usual hassle but again we are bilingual, well my lady is. I'll pay $15 hour in Cozumel for a kid to push, more elsewhere. All cab drivers were outstanding.

NCL also had a crewmember "assigned" to me for the muster and any emergency. Could be my status as a frequent cruiser or the wheelchair but he was there.

Power chair issues are very different and I am sure others can help if that is the situation. I did snorkel and such but did a private charter. Mostly floated but had a great time.

Guess I do like NCL.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

:) Wonderful Ship - Cabin for HC wife and me. Cabin has 3d person wal-mount bed for needed person. Room easily able to move around in Wheelchair. Doorway in wide to restroom and roll in shower. Plenty turn-around room in restroom. Large amount closet and drawer space, large bench type chair in room, TV, Coffee Maker, Queen Bed. You will love it.

Sun is Freestyle Cruising ship, you eat where, when you wish. Dinner in either of 2 dining rooms between 5:30 and 9:30 pm. Food very good in both. Ask for either Everet from Jamaica or Diana (from Indonesia). Both super on service. Ask for their section when entering desk area at dining room. You wont be sorry.

We found breakfast and lunch more suitable in upstairs buffet. Good variety of choices, fresh, omelettes breakfast while you wait (ask staff wandering person to help with tray while you select). Salad bar at lunch wonderful.. You select items, (catch attendant to help with tray and table).

Note: Easier movement on wheelchair from cabin 9014 to elevator nearby, down to deck having photoshop, other activities, to get to Seven Seas aft ship, down 1 floor elevator, or read map and find choice for second dining room. Both dining rooms unable to get to without using elevator from one to other.

Freestyle great for your wardrobe. Leave the fancy dress or men's suit home. Just wear resort casual for dinner.

Enjoy your cruise. May you have many more.

Magnolia Man

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Joe and Magnoliaman for the great postings. Don't like to us HC if not necessary, but our last cruise-a balcony cabin on Carnival Destiny-was an absolute disaster. Many person vs wheelchair confrontations in cabin. Will really enjoy the larger size.

Magnoliaman-do you happen to have a picture of the HC room you had? I am just a nosy woman and like to see things ahead of time.

Archived