Bonine - supposed to be non drowsy...

iwunderu

Bonine, Meclizine, Dramamine, Transderm Scopolamine, Promethazine, all have the potential to make a person drowsy. Some people get drowsy, some don't. Ginger pills do not seem to present this side effect (but, then again they have not had to undergo a full FDA scrutiny). As a general heads up to all, just because one person does or does not get drowsy, is not a predictor of your personal reaction to the same medication.:cool:

I recently watched the Mythbusters show on TV and they did sea sickness testing. The best results came from Ginger Root. You can purchase it at WalMart or other vitamin stores.

Ginger doesn't work for everyone. Believe me I tried it 3 times and all 3 times I was very very sea sick. The only thing that works for me is Qwells or Dramamine. I take them at night before I go to bed. The Qwells you can take extra during the day if you need it without any sleepiness. Mummsie

Bonine is a form of meclizine hcl and unless it is used to treat vertigo there is no need to take it weeks or even days before a trip. The duration (time the medication will be in your system) of the medication is 8 to 24 hours with a half life of 6 hours. So taking one pill a day for one week is no more effective than taking one pill 24 hours before a trip. In addition to the medications listed in previous posts, tranquilizers, allergy and cold medicines, and some anticonvulsants could increase the risk of drowsiness. Some people react differently to different forms of meclizine. If taking the medication at night still leaves you drowsy in the morning try a different form such as less drowsy Dramamine. My mother couldn’t take bonine but did fine on less drowsy Dramamine. If that doesn’t work you could try taking ½ a dose every 12 hours.

I take it the day before we go at night and then every night before I go to bed just to make sure. 2 cruises ago half the dining room was sick and I felt fine as did the other 2 of us who took it, my mom used the patch and was fine. This last time I guess we were so relaxed that we didn't take anything and the last day was horribhle. My mom got so sick and the lady in the gym (who worked there) said eat a green apple 2x a day, we ate one that morning and felt better. She said it is something in the skin. Who knows, but it did make us feel better since we didn't take pills or use the patch.

My first cruise was on The Independence in Hawaii and every night the pool would empty itself with the rocking. A wonderful crew member gave me Ginger Root and it worked like a miracle! Everyone else in my family takes Meclizine but for me it also makes me want to sleep. Thankfully for me it takes a lot before I get to the sick point!

Archived