QE2 or other ships to Geiranger Fjord

Angsa

I am thinking of going to Norway with the QE2 next year. I see the QE2 is planning to go to the Geiranger Fjord on 24 July 2007. Could someone tell me if the QE2 good for couples of age 30+ or is it more suited to older people?

I heard that unless you are in Princess Grill class the food is not really up to standard. We are not very big on gourmet food but obviously we care about what is being served up. Could someone let me know what is the food standard like for the rest of the ship?

I was thinking of the Saga Ruby/Saga Rose because once read a great review about Saga Rose. But then I discovered it is more geared towards the over 50s. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ships that visit the Geiranger Fjord in July 2007?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I am thinking of going to Norway with the QE2 next year. I see the QE2 is planning to go to the Geiranger Fjord on 24 July 2007. Could someone tell me if the QE2 good for couples of age 30+ or is it more suited to older people?

I heard that unless you are in Princess Grill class the food is not really up to standard. We are not very big on gourmet food but obviously we care about what is being served up. Could someone let me know what is the food standard like for the rest of the ship?

I was thinking of the Saga Ruby/Saga Rose because once read a great review about Saga Rose. But then I discovered it is more geared towards the over 50s. Does anyone have any suggestions for other ships that visit the Geiranger Fjord in July 2007?

Why do you want to go to Norway by boat? If the weather's good then you can have the most fantastic time - great scenery, great views - if it's wet then be prepared to spend a lot of time peering out from the windows of a bar! I've done the Norway trip twice with the QE2 - the first time was one of my best ever cruise holidays, the second was my worst holiday ever. If I were to go to Norway again I'd fly and hire a car.

There isn't much difference between the food in the Grills and the restaurants - in the Grills you can order off menu, the waiter:guest ratio is higher and the presentation is more flamboyant, but the quality of the food itself is fairly constant. You get a hot starter in the Caronia and above, but not in the Mauritania, but that's service rather than the quality of the food.

The QE2 does cater for a more "mature" clientèle. I'm 38, my partner's 53, we don't feel too young for the crowd. If you're not looking for a very young crowd then I think you'd be fine on the ship. Saga are 50+ - I suspect that we would find their clientèle a bit too old.

If you do go up Geiranger Fjord by boat then you are already looking at the right boat - there's plenty of entertainment if the weather's not so good.

My wife and I are both in our late thirties, and we love the QE2. But we're not party animals, and enjoy living well, but quietly. QE2 is a very formal ship - probably the most formal sailing. In my eyes all the better for that. If you don't like dressing for dinner then the ship is not for you.

Geirangerfjord is worth seeing by ship - if it is sunny. We had a wonderful trip there last year on her (exactly the same itinerary as you are suggesting, albeit at the end of June), and are repeating it on a longer version this year to include the very far north of Norway.

Don't discount the Norwegian Coastal Voyage. In July you can see Geirangerfjord with them (they don't do it until April each year) although you will not get time to get off. The Hurtigruten (Norwegian Coastal Voyage) is very diffferent to a conventional cruise, but you will see so much more real Norway. It's not better, or worse, as an option. Just very different.

I understood that unless one of you is 50+, you can't use Saga. I might be wrong however......

I would have thought that it was worth spending the money to get up to the Caronia restaurant at least - if only because you will then be able to eat at a time of your choosing, rather than having to fit into a sitting in the way that you will have to with the Mauritania. I like that flexibility.

You should also bear in mind that if you go on your trip with QE2 you will be travelling on an iconic ship - she has more history than anything else around. She isn't as spectacular as other ships, having no great atriums or the like. But she is intensely special, and to walk her decks is an experience to be believed.

She'll also look better in your photographs than any other ship - because she looks like a ship, not a block of flats!

Thank you very much for your advice pnhmrk and Kindlychap.

Actually was thinking of going there on the QE2 for honeymoon. So we want to avoid as much hassle like booking hotels, car hires, looking for or preparing food as possible. That's why we thought cruising would be the better way.

I love QE2 but if it is your honeymoon, you will want to make sure you get a cabin (probably Caronia) that has a double bed instead of bunks!! Many of the cheaper doubles have bunk beds--not exactly what a romantic couple wants.

It just so happens that we're booked for our honeymoon in December! Although we've picked somewhere that the weather should be a lot better.

If you want a double bed rather than twins you'll need to go for a C1 or above - anything below that doesn't convert.

Actually was thinking of going there on the QE2 for honeymoon.

Two factors to bear in mind - bed & bragging rights!

You have already seen the advice on bed configuration....as to bragging rights....which ship would you rather tell your grandchildren you went on?

THE QE2 or the CostaCarnivalPrincess-oline Fantabulosa.........(I'm sure there's one called that......)

On a more serious note, the QE2 is not like modern cruise ships - for some thats part of her charm, for others its smaller cabins and a quirky layout. Food is pretty good, a notch above mass market lines - and for my money the Mauretania Restaurant is at least as nice as Caronia, and I don't mind the late sitting....bed configuration I would not presume to advise you upon.....

Peter

I agree with all that has been said about the QE2. However you could also consider P&O. Not quite as formal as Cunard but still quite smart with plenty of chances to dress up. Probably a slightly younger set so more chance of the ship being a bit lively at nights. Cabins with balconies available at a reasonable price which is a big plus. Food is good although not as good as Cunard. And you would be surrounded by Brits which has to be a plus!!

I'm not so sure I'd go with P & O.

My wife and I went to Bruges a couple of weeks ago on a short two night cruise on the Arcadia. We didn't economise, and had a suite (C193 on the stern - starboard corner).

We were not impressed. The ship was over crowded, the service was decidedly ordinary - our waiters were downright poor and the whole experince wasn't impressive. We had a good time, but neither of us were of the view that we would rush back.

It isn't just that we travel Queens Grill on QE2 - one of the most telling things that we noticed was that where on QE2 the crew always acknowledge one and greet one when meeting in corridors, this did not happen at all on Arcadia.

Bragging rights is a good way of looking at it - especially on a honeymoon!

One last reason to cruise on ship that isn't Norwegian - the price of drink (and everything else) is very high in Norway. Think £5 plus for a beer. On QE2 you're drinking in dollars. And we all know that the dollar is worth nothing these days..... If you're European, and like a nice drink, then that makes Cunard very attractive indeed!

I agree with all that has been said about the QE2. However you could also consider P&O......And you would be surrounded by Brits which has to be a plus!!

Does rather depend on the "Brits", doesn't it. Some of my countrymen are a good reason to leave the country!

I heard that unless you are in Princess Grill class the food is not really up to standard.

While the food is (hopefully!) better in the more expensive grades, the food in Caronia on my recent crossing was very good. I knew 20+ people on board in every restaurant and none had complaints about food quality.

I discovered it is more geared towards the over 50s.

More than that; either you or your spouse/partner must be over 50, and nobody under 40 is allowed at all.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other ships that visit the Geiranger Fjord in July 2007?

There are many ships which sail in this area - really it depends on what type of experience you are looking for.

I am not sure which ships go to the Geirangerfjord specifically, but I know it is quite popular.

The Geiranger Fjordservice web site has a list of all the cruise ships which call there, but it is for 2006 only, not 2007. That said, it will give you an idea of which lines to look at.

Just looking at the list of ships, P&O, Princess, Fred. Olsen, Thomson, Page & Moy, Voyages of Discovery, Travelscope and Royal Caribbean will all have ships calling at Geiranger in 2006 and sailing from UK ports. That is in addition to Cunard and Saga.

If you are willing to fly to a Continental port there are even more options.

QE2 is a very formal ship - probably the most formal sailing.

While I have no personal experience with them, I've heard that some of the very upscale German ships like EUROPA or DEUTSCHLAND are more formal. Also perhaps the Japanese ASUKA II. But among English-speaking ships, QE2 is probably about as formal as it gets.

I would have thought that it was worth spending the money to get up to the Caronia restaurant at least - if only because you will then be able to eat at a time of your choosing, rather than having to fit into a sitting in the way that you will have to with the Mauritania. I like that flexibility.

I agree with you that the single-seating arrangement in Caronia and the Grills is preferable. Mind you, most of the other ships I sail in have two seatings and I can live with that and would book Mauretania if there was a large price difference... But I do prefer single seating dining.

Now, if Mauretania were also single seating (which it was for a short time in the 1990s) then I would personally not spend the money to move up to Caronia. The cabin is not so important to me so the key aspect of Caronia that I like is definitely the single seating.

My wife and I went to Bruges a couple of weeks ago on a short two night cruise on the Arcadia. We didn't economise, and had a suite (C193 on the stern - starboard corner).

We were not impressed. The ship was over crowded, the service was decidedly ordinary - our waiters were downright poor and the whole experince wasn't impressive. We had a good time, but neither of us were of the view that we would rush back.

This is the second time today I've read a less-than-enthusiastic review of a two-night "short break" on P&O! The other one was of a cruise last weekend in OCEANA and the review was rather amusing but it definitely did not make me want to go out and book a P&O cruise!

That said, it may well be that their standard is better on longer cruises. The person who wrote the aforementioned OCEANA review had been on two longer P&O cruises and said the difference was huge. In my own experience I have noticed that very often the quality of food, service, etc. seems to magically improve on longer and more expensive cruises, even when dealing with the same cruise line!

I will be very interested to hear how your QE2 "cruise to nowhere" in July stacks up against your experiences on longer voyages.

This is the second time today I've read a less-than-enthusiastic review of a two-night "short break" on P&O!

I will be very interested to hear how your QE2 "cruise to nowhere" in July stacks up against your experiences on longer voyages.

The only times I've been for a short break with P&O is on their North Sea route (by car ferry) - if you go off peak and out of season they do excellent fares! I've never done a QE2 one or two nighter, but the general reports that I've heard from people who have is that they are nothing like a proper cruise.

I remember lstening to someone who had been on a short 3 night cruise on QE2. She thought it was awful. Tatty bathrooms, poor service, very confusing ship with half the lifts not going where you want to go and corridors finishing in dead ends. I'm sure you don't get a fair view of a ship or cruiseline on a short "party" cruise. Certainly if it is a ship you have not cruised on before. I find that the first time I cruise on a ship that is new to me it takes me several days to settle in and feel comfortable with my surroundings. At first one inevitably tends to compare the ship with those you know better and find things that don't seem right. After a while you get to settle down and feel more comfortable in your new surroundings. Also I think the crew find the short cruises more difficult. The passengers are trying to cram a whole cruise into a few days and tend to be more demanding. There is really no time to get to know each other. So I would never recommend a short cruise as a way to get a feel for an unfamiliar ship or cruise line.

Since when has been surrounded by Brits been a plus? Some of the nastiest people I have encountered onboard have been Brits and the nicest have been Americans. We should treat all as individuals and not generalise

Some of the nastiest people I have encountered onboard have been Brits and the nicest have been Americans

And some other nasty ones have been Japanese, Australian, French, German, you name it! The unfortunate thing is that whilst US citizens individually can be very nice experience has told me that en mass they tend to be loud and overbearing. The important thing is to see your fellow passengers as individuals (if possible), that way their nationality isn't important.

The only times I've been for a short break with P&O is on their North Sea route (by car ferry)

Ah but that is a totally different company!

My friend who took the short cruise in OCEANA said the passenger group was the same that used to take the Friday night party cruises on the Portsmouth-Bilbao route before they were discontinued (route is still open, but no more Friday night party cruises). That was not a compliment!

I remember lstening to someone who had been on a short 3 night cruise on QE2. She thought it was awful. Tatty bathrooms, poor service, very confusing ship with half the lifts not going where you want to go and corridors finishing in dead ends.

To be fair, I have heard some of the same things from people who have been on much longer cruises in her ;) !

It is true that QE2's layout is rather confusing compared to the new ships... Those of us who love her would call this "charm" but people partial to new ships think otherwise!

Also I think the crew find the short cruises more difficult. The passengers are trying to cram a whole cruise into a few days and tend to be more demanding.

I think that is very true. I have been told as much by many crew members I've spoken to. Passengers will try to do the same number of things in three days that they'd do on a cruise lasting two weeks, which creates a tremendous amount of stress on the crew and ship!

Ships regularly engaged in short cruises even require things like carpets changed more frequently than usual, because of the extra wear-and-tear!

The unfortunate thing is that whilst US citizens individually can be very nice experience has told me that en mass they tend to be loud and overbearing.

While this is true, would you say that Brits en masse can't be loud and overbearing? Or any other nationality for that matter?

It all depends on which Brits or which Americans.

Nonetheless, I must admit that when travelling abroad with a group of Americans (whom I don't know beforehand), I am often embarrassed by their presence and wish they weren't there!

Personally, I prefer ships which have a mix of nationalities - provided there is a common language or two. It just makes for a more interesting passenger mix. On my QE2 crossing this past January, we had about 1,100 Brits, 350 Americans, 150 Germans, and 100 "other". A very nice mix, I think.

While this is true, would you say that Brits en masse can't be loud and overbearing? Or any other nationality for that matter?

No

Personally, I prefer ships which have a mix of nationalities - provided there is a common language or two.

Personally I prefer the mix of nationalities without the common language - it makes for a much more peaceful holiday:)

I'm going to be very interested to see what we think of the one nighter in July too....

I think my wife and I will be fine. We're safely upstairs on the signal deck, and our companions (my mother, mother in law and grandmother in law) are all safely tucked up in QGs on deck 2.

I'll be interested to see the response to the ship from the others too.....

Fortunately we'll get on early, so they can see her almost empty!

I will report back - even if things aren't as they should......:eek:

Angsa,

I too have heard that food in all restaurants is very good from friends I meet on board each trip who travel in different grades - I travel in either the Princess or Queens Grill and food & service are always 1st class! You also meet quite a varying age group of passengers on QE2 or indeed Cunard which sometimes is dependant on the type of trip i.e. my Norway trip last July had young couples, children,up to couples in their 80's + - and there is usually a younger crowd on a crossing.

Kindlychap - I too have recently returned from a 7 night cruise on Arcadia and have to say being my first P & O cruise I was very impressed. The ship was great - entertainment was a lot better than QE2 and I have been on QE2 6 times to date with another 3 week trip booked for this Sep & the food & service in the main Meridian Rest was very commendable and at times could have been comparable to any restaurant I have dined in on QE2 (I have dined in Caronia once, Princess Grill for one night only & mainly the QG Rest). My parents too had a stern suite D180 and could not have been looked after better with 1st class butlers service. Having tried to persuade my parents to book QE2 they are reluctant knowning that even in Q2 or Grand suite grate the balconies will not be as big as on a more modern ship!!

One thing I would agree with though is us Brits are much better off with Dollar prices for on board purchases & drinks etc as on P & O in sterling it is much more expensive!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Kindlychap - I too have recently returned from a 7 night cruise on Arcadia and have to say being my first P & O cruise I was very impressed. The ship was great - entertainment was a lot better than QE2 and I have been on QE2 6 times to date with another 3 week trip booked for this Sep & the food & service in the main Meridian Rest was very commendable and at times could have been comparable to any restaurant I have dined in on QE2 (I have dined in Caronia once, Princess Grill for one night only & mainly the QG Rest). My parents too had a stern suite D180 and could not have been looked after better with 1st class butlers service. Having tried to persuade my parents to book QE2 they are reluctant knowning that even in Q2 or Grand suite grate the balconies will not be as big as on a more modern ship!!

One thing I would agree with though is us Brits are much better off with Dollar prices for on board purchases & drinks etc as on P & O in sterling it is much more expensive!

We had the same grade as your parents - ours was C193. As I said, we weren't as impressed as we were hoping, although I fully recognise that a two night cruise may not be a good test!

We thought the service in the restaurant was downright poor, and as we were on the lower level right at the back, there was a nasty throb throughout the meal. The steak on the second night was good - but vegetables were very poor, soups uninteresting and generally there was no finesse at all.

The butler was good - no question. The entertainment was fine - although this is not how we judge a ship. We didn't see any "shows" because we avoid them like the plague - on any ship.

I guess you are doing the Canada trip with QE2 next September? We did that last year - it was lovely. You'll be better off than we were as you are doing it the other way round from us - so you can get New York out of the way, and not have the delay in getting off in any port that matters. Hopefully you'll avoid Red Hook!

A Q2 is more than just a balcony - the signal deck on QE2 is fabulous. The service is second to none, and it really is the way to travel! Don't forget that a Q1 has two balconies - including one overlooking the front of the ship. There are times when the occupants of the two Q1s are the only passengers able to look forward! And they are huge suites - the side balcony is great for sitting out for tea, the front is equipped with sun loungers and is much more sheltered.

I do note that Angsa said in his (or her) your original post that he (or she) is "not into gourmet food" - not quite sure about exactly what is meant by that but I think it is fair to say that the chefs in the Queens Grill are more interested in a bit of culinary adventure than those in the Meridian - at least based on our two nights there.

The Q2 cabin that we have had (8001) is larger than the rest, and ideal if you can't be sure of the weather as you have a smaller balcony but a window with a sitting area to compensate. And a much larger wardrobe area! But all the Q2s give a more spacious feel than the AD grade on Arcadia - and the bathrooms are very much nicer. They don't have those daft spa baths either!

It's - ultimately - a matter of opinion of course!

I fully recognise that a two night cruise may not be a good test!

As I said earlier... My friend who took the two-night cruise in OCEANA said that it bore little resemblance to the two other P&O cruises he'd taken recently.

Nonetheless, it was still P&O and in my view there is no excuse for lowering quality just because it is a shorter cruise. I certainly don't think he'll be returning to P&O soon!

Personally I think ORIANA and AURORA look lovely (especially the latter) but the other P&O ships have little appeal. Nonetheless, despite the fact that I really like the look of those ships, I doubt I'll ever try P&O. For one thing, as an American, they are almost impossible to book. They are not widely marketed outside the UK (and, to some extent, Australia and New Zealand) but if you are American or Canadian they seem to actually try to make it as difficult as possible. They do let Princess make bookings for the world cruises but otherwise, nobody in the US or Canada is allowed to book P&O. They have sales agents in places as diverse as Hungary, Egypt, and Japan, to mention virtually every English-speaking country, but not here! I know people who have tried to book P&O from the US or Canada and many have found it so frustrating they simply gave up. This is understandably a bit of a turn-off for me so between that, high fares (when you factor in currency exchange), and several other factors, I don't plan on trying P&O any time soon.

I say go for it, QE2 every time. I've done that cruise several times, you will get a much better view of Geirangerfjord from QE2 than from a car, and if the weather IS bad (and I've rarely had bad weather up there), I would far rather watch the passing scenery from QE2's windows than from a car's! Avoid the Saga ships, they're definitely the wrong age group for you, but I don't think you'll feel out of place on QE2. As for the food, it has improved greatly in the last several years. Enjoy, I'm envious!

Archived