sharks in Belize & Costa Maya

macy

Hi,

I read on another thread that some people had spotted sharks near the shores in Costa Maya. My husband and I are planning on snorkeling in Costa Maya and Belize and wonder if there is a danger of sharks near the shore? Has anyone out there seen them while snorkeling? Your help is appreciated!

Macy

We saw a shark last year while snorkeling near Cancun. At first I was scared, then I saw that it was very afraid of us. It couldn't get away from us fast enough. Maybe the danger depends on the type of shark, or how many there are? I'm not sure, but was very surprised at the shark's reaction.

I saw and petted nurse sharks (have no teeth) while diving in the water park off Ambergais Key, Belieze. I've dove other places with sharks and as long as you don't charge them but observe or ignore them, they go away. All but a very few spieces are not aggressive.

Nurse sharks are indeed not aggressive, but they certainly do have teeth!!! They eat crustaceans like lobsters. You should not attempt to pet them or touch them unless extremely experienced. In Cozumel, a few years back, a diver who tried to touch one had it latch onto his BC and the divemaster had to take it off and send it to the surface because the shark would not let go. The diver ascended safely buddy-breathing with the divemaster. The incident in the post above is the norm...most sharks are way more scared of us than we are of them.

Hi all,

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I agree, don't touch nurse sharks, there was a guy in the keys the other day that had his arm lacerated by provoking one (they prefer to sit under a ledge and "rest"). If you follow the diver's motto, take only pictures and leave only bubbles, nothing in any area that you will visit will bother you. If you're into statictics, only 26 people in the world were attacked (not killed, which was 8) given the millions of people in the water last year. Of those, only 5 were scuba diving, no snorkelers, the rest were surfers or bathers. In comparison, of the substantially less number who visited a farm, over 50 were attacked by pigs with 10 being fatal. And we don't even want to get into the number of people killed in auto accidents daily. The statictics say you have a far greater chance of being killed on your trip to the water than in the water (so stay in the water snorkeling as long as possible as this is the safest place to be). :) If you don't fear getting to the water, you shouldn't fear what's in it.

2 cents withdrawn,

Randall

BTW, I've logged over two hundred hours underwater and have only seen 1 reef shark (from afar as it turned as soon as it saw us) and 6 nurse sharks, none of whom, took the least interest in me (but then maybe I'm ugly to them :D).

We have snorkled in both Belize and Costa Maya (in the middle of the ocean) I have never seen a shark while snorkeling. That is their home, but I would assume they would like to stay as far away from us, as we would them!

While researching diving in Belize, one web site in Ambergris Caye described the diving as fanstastic, and that the nurse sharks only eat two divers a week. So check the schedules with the dive shops to know you'll go on the safe trip.

Of couse they then said they're just kidding and the nurse sharks are of no harm.

LOL We actually paid to head over to Shark Ray Alley in Belize. Not only did we not see any sharks (even though it was advertised that the dive master (?) would feed them and turn them over to pet yada yada yada) - there were only 2 or 3 rays that were in the area we docked as well. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I have snorkeled in Belize twice out on the Reef and it has been great both times. For Sting Rays head to Cayman but there are sharks on the Reef in Belize. I have actually seen a couple of them but they seem harmless and swim away from you. If you go, try to enjoy everything about the reef not just sharks. The coral is really nice and there are plenty of colorful fish.

Now as far as Costa Maya goes, I thought the snorkeling there was not much to write home about and I probably won't ever snorkel there again. We took a boat out and it the water was very green looking and not clear. I guess there is a chance the water was in bad condition when we were there but to be honest the snorkeling is much better in Grand Cayman, Belize, at one time Cozumel and St. Johns.

Archived