Seasickness Shot

castlewood

When cruising with Kyle and Isadora 3 years ago, I visited the infirmary, not because I was sick, but because I am an emergency nurse and the infirmary interested me. The Staff on board the Holiday were very gracious, and gave me a tour of the facilities, where I noticed a number of syringes pre-drawn up and ready for "business". On asking what the medication was, I was told Benedryl. I personally never needed it but apparently it works very well. It also helps in the oral form, but you have to take it before you are so nauseated that you can't keep it down.....

... and some folks forego all shots and just munch candied ginger. It works!
We had it every night the last two weeks. Man, does that candy have a bit. Very intense taste, but I liked the challenge. Flavor started to grow on me after a while. Others at my table would not touch it.

I've read in these boards several references to "the shot," most recently on Paul NH's postings. Can anyone elaborate on the following?

1. What is it (pharmaceutically)?

2. To what part of the body is the shot administered?

3. Do you need to go to the ship hospital to receive the injection?

4. Does the injection hurt? (that's my wife's question!)

5. How long does it take to work?

6. Does it work better than the scopolamine patch? Dramamine?

7. How long does a single shot last?

8. Any personal experiences with the shot?

Also, will ship motion, as described by PaulNH, be severely felt on Deck 9, middle? We will be taking a westbound transatlantic, departing May 29.

Thanks very much. And PaulNH, I've greatly enjoyed your daily postings.

I am looking at the Patient Statement from our recent transatlantic and, combined with first hand observation/experience, here is the information:

1. Pharmaceutically, it is an injection of "Promethazine Hydrochloride."

2. It is injected into "the tush."

3. You can get it in the doctor's office on Deck 1, or pay extra to have the nurse come and administer it in your cabin.

4. According to my wife, the injection does not hurt anymore than any other injection.

5. It started to work about 30 minutes after she had the shot. On the second day when she had to have the shot a second time, she laid down on a bed in the nurses office until it did - because she was bad off by the time she came in and was vomiting. Last year, when I had it, I walked out right after having the shot, so it depends on what kind of condition you are in when you arrived.

6. It definitely works better than Dramamine. However, if you are diligent in starting right out with Dramamine before you even get sick, the Dramamine may be just as effective.

7. For my wife, it lasted about 12 hours. She was sick again about 24 hours later. She was also taking non-drowsy "Cinnarizine" tablets at the same time, which did not help keep it away. On the second day, she had Promethazine Hydrochloride tablets to continue taking while the seas were rough. My wife took them until the last day, when the water was very calm.

8. Eventually, the drowsiness from the Promethazine Hydrochloride wears off the longer you are taking it.

Here is a summary of the damage:

A. The visit to the nurse cost $20.

B. The injection labor cost $10.

C. The cost of the contents of the injection was $6.

D. The Cinnarizine (non-drowsy) tablets cost $12 for quantity 25.

E. The cost of the needle used is $5.

F. The cost of the Promethezine Hydrochloride tablets is $12 for quantity 10.

All told, the medical cost of having my wife and my youngest son (Promethazine Hydrochloride tablits only) treated for seasickness was $138.

As an added point of interest, some will tell you, and I was told as well, that the shot will work for 1 to 2 weeks. This is not true. The nurse said that some believe that and that is fine, because sometimes a part of seasickness is mental, and if you believe something is working, it will help (of course I just burst that bubble by telling you this, but let us stick to medical science here.)

Just because you seasick once, does not always mean you will get seasick again. I got sick briefly last year, but did not get sick this year. To be on the safe side though, I started taking Cinnarizine on the third day out, but that was after the "very large swells."

Hope this helps.

Paul

The shot is designed to work for 5-6 days. Again, everyone's system is different, so reactions to the drug will vary. Tablet meds are always to be taken before symptoms start. Otherwise they are of little use. The opposite is true for the injection. It is affective when individuals are already experiencing the symptoms of seasickness. BIG DIFFERENCE. Yes, it is perscription as the other poster noted but it contains many of the same ingredients and subsequent warnings as the over the counter meds. I have been a boater owner for over 20 years and have always been succeptable to seasickness. My time on the water has significantly decreased my affliction, but it does come up sometimes. Focus on the horizon, breath fresh air and hope the meds don't knock you out.

I had my shot on the maiden TA to NY april 2004 - thought i could wait it out and would eventually start to feel better - oh no foolish me - within about an hour of having it I felt fine and was soon able to sit in the champagne bar and watch the bar staff try and catch the glasses sliding off of the counters with some amusement

Same crossing, same shot! I had applied the patch on day 1 as I'm highly prone to motion sickness but it made me so drugged out that I don't remember any of day 2. So I got the shot after dinner on day 3, fell fast asleep then woke up refreshed and was fine for the rest of the voyage.

Promethazine Hydrochloride is the generic name for Phenergan. I took it just as I started to feel queasy, worked like a dream- no grogginess or sleepiness- and I think it only cost about a dollar a dose (I use suppositories, as if you wait to long, you can't keep the pills down.)

Archived