Carnival Pride In January?

Payd

:) We are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Pride in Jan of 07 and would like some info from our friends at CC! I have tried a few searches on the forum but haven't found all we are looking for. Please help!

What kids of weather can we expect at sea and in Mexico?

What suggestions do you have for overnight stay (hotel to book) pre-cruise?

What are the most noteable excursions you have enjoyed?

What tips do you have once on the ship (best bar/lounge/dining, area by the pool or band, cabin selection...etc)?

Our last (4th) cruise was on the Miracle in Jan which has led us to the Pride (loved this class of ship and had wonderful service, experiences and memories to last a lifetime).

Thanks in advance for your replies - and happy cruising!!:)

Any other tips or words of widom.

Well my honest opinion is do this cruise later than April... January is our cold/rainy time and if your looking for warmth/sunshine, consider a different time...... I did the Paradise in March and was miserable.... Yet you'll be going more south to other ports so I'd look up their weather for those months..... Hope this helps......

You might try posting this on the Mexican Riviera boards. We are booked for the 1st week of January. We know it will be cold leaving Long Beach, just as it was when leaving San Pedro for Hawaii in December. But in Mexico, it should be very nice!! On January 5th of this year we were in Ensenada for a day before ending up back on San Pedro. It was very nice in Ensenada and you will be going much further south into warmer weather.

You can see from my sig, that I cant claim any experience at all, but I have done months of research.

We decided to only book 2 excursions, we each picked one.

My little brother did the Dolphin Swim in PV and loved it, recommended it highly. I have also heard good things about the Pirate Boat adventure, but it seems more of a party and show than anything else. ( which is not bad at all ). We booked the Dolphin Swim, which can only be booked through Carnival ( I tried booking it directly and they said they were sold out to Carnival to book it through them )

For Maztlan, I have heard so many good things about Randi's Happy Horses that I just had to book that. ( this one HAS to be booked independently, Randa insists on controlling her own business, good for her )

I will let you know when I return. :D

You can see from my sig, that I cant claim any experience at all, but I have done months of research.

We decided to only book 2 excursions, we each picked one.

My little brother did the Dolphin Swim in PV and loved it, recommended it highly. I have also heard good things about the Pirate Boat adventure, but it seems more of a party and show than anything else. ( which is not bad at all ). We booked the Dolphin Swim, which can only be booked through Carnival ( I tried booking it directly and they said they were sold out to Carnival to book it through them )

For Maztlan, I have heard so many good things about Randi's Happy Horses that I just had to book that. ( this one HAS to be booked independently, Randa insists on controlling her own business, good for her )

I will let you know when I return. :D

Thanks astronomer! I hope you have a wonderful cruise and I will look forward to hearing from you upon your return. Happy anticipation and cruising!!

Payd:)

I've been on the Pride in January the last last 2 years (and will be back on board with suziehmkr this coming New Year's) so I thought I'd throw in my thoughts

Weather: Embarkation day and the first and last sea days will probably be cool. No problem with chair hogs those days.:p Second sea day will be warmer and all of the ports can be HOT. That said, climate is what you expect, weather is what you get. It could be freezing the whole time or roasting.

Ports: Go to the Mexican Riviera board, see what looks interesting, go read the member review section. Just remember to everything, good and bad with a grain of salt. Everybody sees things differently and what they are complaining about or extolling may not be important to you.

Obviously, I like the whole thing (remember what I just told you:p ) Here's a link to some photos and all the Capers and such from my last trip on the Pride. http://www.ronrythm.com/Carnival_Pride_06.html

Enjoy

Ron

We were on the Pride 3/26/06. The first & last day at sea were COLD COLD COLD! :mad: . The port days were HOT! :D . In Jan, you will probably have more cold days. I wouldnt go at that time if you want the warm weather. Try April - August ish. We stayed on the Queen Mary the night before which is oh lets say 30 seconds walking distance from the Pride. Also, if your an early riser, get up around 6:15 - 6:30, go to the very back of the QM, & watch the Pride pull in. We did, it was very neat. Also, the QM gives a big discount for Carnival passengers. I think we paid just over $100 for the night. The QM is also an excellent historical experience. Well worth the $$$.

:) We are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Pride in Jan of 07 and would like some info from our friends at CC! I have tried a few searches on the forum but haven't found all we are looking for. Please help!

What tips do you have once on the ship (best bar/lounge/dining, area by the pool or band, cabin selection...etc)?

Our last (4th) cruise was on the Miracle in Jan which has led us to the Pride (loved this class of ship and had wonderful service, experiences and memories to last a lifetime).

Hi Payd! My son and I are booked on the Pride for January 7, 2007. We booked it when he visited over the holidays in December. He's twenty-nine and this will be the first time he has taken a cruise with his Mom since he was fifteen. To say I am excited is putting it mildly.

He wanted to see whales and we were told (on here) that the best time to see whales was from January to March. Thus . . . we decided to go on January 7th because we'll get to share my birthday on the 13th on that cruise.

So far . . . the excursions we'd like to do are . . . in Puerto Vallarta, "he" will be doing the Canopy zip line tour (haven't a clue yet what I'll be doing but I can tell you for a fact . . . I'm not going to be zooming through the forests and on to the beach on zip lines . . . . :eek: ). In Mazatlan, we plan to ride horses with Randi's Happy Horses. In Cabo, he'll be going out in one of those little zodiacs to get an up close and personal look at whales . . . I'm thinking about the Whale Watching and Costal Cruise on a Catamaran.

Hope you get lots of replies to your post . . . I'm interested in the questions you asked too. Tammy

I am booked in January also (14th) and I have checked the weather for PV and Cabo (Maz wasn't available) and they were both in the 80's. As a previous poster said expect chilly days the first sea day and the last sea day too. But the ports look to be nice.

As far as hotels go, a couple people in my party plan on staying on the Queen Mary right there next to where the Pride docks. Being so close, wee will probably fly in the same day, only an hour flight.

We also plan on doing Randi's Happy Horses in Maz, but have no idea what we will do the other port days, kind of up to my MIL, this is HER cruise....:eek:

Hope you have fun!!! I know I will!

At Sea you will be cool to cold - no matter WHEN you go! It will probably be fairly warm in Ports, even in January.

Many stay at the Queen Mary in Long Beach or the Marina Hotel in San Pedro and are happy. I think I heard the Coast hotel (with a view of the Queen Mary) has a park and cruise special where for $99 (I think!) you can stay there and park your car for the entire cruise!

Our favorite excursions were De Los Veranos Canopy Tour (Zip Lines) in Puerto Vallarte and Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. (To see pictures of our excursions, click the link below) Here are the links to their websites in case you are interested:

http://www.randishappyhorses.com/index.html

http://www.canopytours-vallarta.com/

In Cabo, you can get a glass bottom boat to take you around the rock formations for about $10 per person. Don't book in advance - they are a dime a dozen on the pier! ;) This was about an hour - then we went into town for a bit and ate (and drank) at Cabo Wabo and another cute little courtyard restaurant.

We loved everything about our cruise - the ship, the crew, the excursions, and our fellow cruisers (we met up with many from our CC roll call and had a blast!) If you have half the fun we did, you will have the time of your life! :D

Archived