Red Hook and Statue of Liberty

jonmar

When at the new Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for the first time, the QM2 was portside along what they call Pier 12, bow facing south. Forward of her bow is perhaps 300 feet of clear space where you may stand at the water. You look straight across her bow and can almost touch Governors Island. Just beyond that is the Statue of Liberty. Easily seen, coming in, going out. You will go under the bridge both ways.

(A few of us went to have a look 15 April, were pleased and impressed.)

Abs.

Abs, thanks for the information you gave about Red Hook port. We are on the westbound voyage from Southampton. We have a balcony cabin on the port side. Which is the best side to view the Statue of Liberty from your balcony as you head into Brooklyn, port or starboard?

Thanks,

Christy

The port side is the best but as you see from the posting the QM II does not go up the Hudson so may not now go past the Statue of Liberty, if it does then left is the side to be on.

It looks like on the return it will not pass the Statue.

The port side is the best but as you see from the posting the QM II does not go up the Hudson so may not now go past the Statue of Liberty, if it does then left is the side to be on.

It looks like on the return it will not pass the Statue.

I was there also on 4/15. The ship passes the Statue on the Starboard right side... The Left side Port will be Brooklyn...

The ship arrived at about 6 am....still dark and very foggy coming in...

I was there also on 4/15. The ship passes the Statue on the Starboard right side... The Left side Port will be Brooklyn...

The ship arrived at about 6 am....still dark and very foggy coming in...

That sounds about right. The ship passed under the VN shortely before 4am and shortely thereafter made the turn off to RH. After it pivoted, about an hour passed until it backed into its berth - I think about 5:15 or so.

I thought the statue was on the left gong in.

Can someone explain exactly what now happens.

Does the QM 11 still pass the Statue if yes how does it then get to Red Hook pier.

When it lease Red Hook OI understand she is faxcing stright down the hudson, does she just go strsaight down the river or reverse back towards Brooklyn.

No it passes on the right. or as close as it gets is from the right....

It backs into the Red Hook Pier. With its Port side towards Brooklyn. Its right is toward Governor's Island with the Statue of Liberty to Its right and South of Governors Island. When it leaves it leaves it heads due south--with the Starborad side passing as close as it get to the S o L.

Please excuse me asking this, I'm sure it's me being "thick". It's a pity we can't draw here so that the path taken is clear to all.

What has been described above sounds like she took a "Y" course in the harbor, first going up the left hand "arm" and then reversing back down and reversing up the right hand "arm" to face back the way she had come. Please excuse the poor description.

My understanding (which may well be wrong) from those aboard the 1st arrival at Red Hook was that the QM2 arrived in the harbor, turned slightly to starboard (heading for Buttermilk Channel) and then turned her bow starboard so that her bow was pointing "east" (at Brooklyn). She then pivioted around on her axis "clockwise" (keeping the bow roughly in one spot) to bring her stern pointing due "north". She then reversed "north" onto the pier so that she was bearing "south".

Would love to get the right answer before my crossing later this year...

Thanks for the information.

Pepper (who is as thick as he looks)

Mumbles, You think you're confused!

As I said, I wish we could draw here! What I was trying (and obviously failing) to describe by using a "Y" was, what we call a "three point turn" in the UK.

To put it as simply as possible,

does she turn to port (left) and then reverse whilst turning to starboard (right) so her her stern (the blunt end) swings into the channel and allows her to tie up at pier 12 with her port side against the pier...

or

does she turn her bow (the pointy bit) to starboard (right) and then swing the stern (blunt bit) around (the same way as a clock's hands go) pivoting (whilst keeping the pointy bit in the same place) so that the blunt end ends up heading north. And then reverse so that her port side ties up against the pier...

I've re-read the above, even I didn't understand it!

Pepper (who thinks he'll have to fly to New York and back before his crossing to see the answer for himself).

Please be kind in your answers....

Understanding that I cannot draw, I do not know how to resize pictures, and I am totally clueless about many things, This is what happens when she gets past the bridge.

She gets to the tip of Manhattan, swings wide keft towards Liberty island (the small round one on the left) and "backs into her parking space" between the large tri-oval Government Island and Brooklyn Red Hook Pier. Her nose is pointing down the Buttermilk channel, her aft pointing up the Buttermilk channel. As you can see, her starboard (or right) sides is now facing Miss Liberty, as it will be when she goes straight forward when she leaves her berth and heads under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and out to sea!

Karie,

Who THINKS she got it right and explained it right! ....maybe!

P.S. The big red dot is her funnel (I told you I can't draw!) The little double square island at the end of the arrow point is Ellis Island. The top right is the tip of Manhattan. The little hook space of water (I guess that would be an isthmus, or would it?) where she is docked is the new pier.

I hope this is understandable. It maynot be exactly where she turns, but you get the idea!

QM2.jpg.eff1c413b181b97d3ad6b72737af9d95.jpg

Karie (Travel To Go)

Thank you so very much for this, you've been most kind, and your drawing is clarity itself. You've answered my questions with one post. And saved me the airfare to see what happened!.

Now, I'm looking forward to it happening with me aboard later this year.:)

Thanks again.

Pepper.

I finaly have got it thanks to the diagram which is not a y but an inverted y.

It looks like the best time to see the QM 11 is when she docks " 5am forget it not when she leaves at 5pm.

It was great to see the QM 11 sailing dow the Hudson from Manhattan past the SOL and away but all that is now a distant memory.

If someone from Cunard is reading this may I suggest that the QM 11 on arriving in New York goes directly to the new pier and ties up with the starboard side towards Brooklyn which is the opposite of what it is now does.

When it then leaves at night the QM 11 would do a turn right in the midle of the harbour and look great for PR.

Surely its beter to show her off at 5pm rather than 4am as at 5pm she just slips straight down the Hudson.

Sut d

right left port starboard coming going

folks sure get things confused here.

When we boarded on May 15th she was pointed out to sea, and you could see the Statue of Liberty from the right hand side of the ship. Not close, but she was there.

As we sailed out of the harbor we got a bit closer but it was still in the distance. At least on our sailing, the water boats saw us off. Not if that is normal or because it was the first time the QM2 used the new piers.

the best viewpoints are topside vs in the rooms.

right left port starboard coming going

folks sure get things confused here.

When we boarded on May 15th she was pointed out to sea, and you could see the Statue of Liberty from the right hand side of the ship. Not close, but she was there.

As we sailed out of the harbor we got a bit closer but it was still in the distance. At least on our sailing, the water boats saw us off. Not if that is normal or because it was the first time the QM2 used the new piers.

the best viewpoints are topside vs in the rooms.

LOL are you deliberately trying to confuse me....May 15th??? I don't think so....as I think I said as close as it gets it passes starboard---to the right.

We were aft, deck 8, where the live Caribbean band broke out in singing "New York, New York" as we sailed by the Statue of Liberty on that lovely sunny April 15. Twas truly a fabulous moment with the sprays of red white and blue from boats waving to the Queen and the coastguard and NY port police smiling at being a part of her grand escourt.

Archived