Experience with Cash/Traveller's Checks for S&S

books4sail

As first-time cruisers, my partner and I are having some difficulty with the idea that we have to put so much money on these S&S cards, so we're looking at using cash or traveller's checks for our deposit. Has anyone else had experience with this? How did this work out? Is all of this money available for use on the ship, or is the tip money held back (i.e. if I place $400 on my S&S card, how much of this can I use while onboard?)?

Sorry for so many questions, but we're trying to do all of this on a budget, and credit cards are not an option, so I want to get this figured out soon!

Thanks!

I've used cash and travelers checks... no problem. You will put a minimum down depending on the length of cruise. So say it is $250 each... the first thing deducted is your tips... so that is $10 per person, per day. The rest is yours to spend... if you get low, they will let you know.

You can definitely use travelers checks or cash for your S&S account. If they ask for $400, then you have $400 to use towards your expenses on the ship. If you go over whatever amount they ask for, then you would be required to put down an additional amount. If you have a credit card, you can use it when you check in for your cruise, but you are not obligated to put any of your charges on it. You can pay at the end of the cruise with cash or travelers checks. That way, you don't have to put a "cash deposit" towards your S&S account. Just some suggestions.........

Archived