Are excursions necessary?

DeLosLibros

I know that part of every cruise are the ports of call, and excursions. But are planned excursions really necessary? I'd like to think that we could enjoy each port without having to shell out lots of money to have our day planned for us. I figured we'd spend the day on the beach at half Moon Cay, and spend the day in Old San Juan when there. We're still trying to decide if visiting the beach and shopping will suffice in St. Thomas, and we've no idea what to expect in Grand Turk.

This is our first cruise, and my partner's cheap. Does anyone have any opinions on the subject?

The only reason one might book excursions through your cruise line is that, if a delay on the excursion happens, the boat will be notified and wait for you. Otherwise, you're "on your own" with personally-booked excursions.

That being said, most private tour operators thrive solely on cruise-ship travelers, and will do their best to make sure their timing is right, and you don't "miss the boat". It's their livelihood.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong (usually) with grabbing a local cab to take you where you want to go, or walk in town yourself. Just be sure to allow plenty of time to return to your ship. There's also a lot to be said for staying on board while the majority of passengers leave...no lounge chair hassles, spas have specials, lots of space to yourself!

Whatever you decide, just enjoy yourself and your time together....

Paul :)

I strongly feel that you should do planned "excursions", just not the ones that the ship offers. Do whatever interests you on your own, but do plan in advance before you get to the island. That way you can spend both your time and your money wisely.

Just remember to always bring your passport (if outside the u.s.) and credit card if you go an a private excursion. That way if there is a delay and you miss the boat at least you have ID and a way to pay to get out of the place you are in.

If you are doing something that is going to take you further than walking distance from the ship, then you have some things to consider.

In San Juan, you will be within walking distance of the ship.

If you are going farther than that you need to consider this: If you are on a planned excursion from the ship and something happens (bus breaks down, etc.) the ship will wait for you. If you are on your own (you rent a car or go on another excursion) and something happens, the ship won't wait for you, you will be stranded at your port. I always do the ships excursions. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but I'd rather not be stranded somewhere.

My partner and I always do a combination of both, I do a lot of research before going to any place and usually even have walking maps.... old San Juan is wonderful for walking, and if you have a US National Park Pass, you can use it to visit the old forts FREE (we used ours last time we were there).... when we do go out on our own, we give ourselves LOTS of extra time to get back to the ship, just in case.... We have never had a problem with doing things on our own with and without excursions. What we do is make sure we leave the ship as early as possible so we have lots of extra time, the excursions (even private, not ones offered on the ship) will tell you the duration time and so you can plan accordingly... when the ship is not in a port for a long period, that is when we usually do the excursions offered on board. There are many reputable companies that you can find on the Internet and some can be paid in advance, others wait to be paid when you are there.... we have saved a lot of money going with the private companies.... but you do have that chance... fortunately, we have always been back on board in plenty of time.... I think PLANNING is the key word with a large safety margin :) Dan

Just as you leave the ship terminal there will be many vans offering tours of the area for about $10pp. This is much less than those offered by the ship. Old San Juan can easily be walked through from the pier. On other islands use cabs, but make sure you come to a price agreement first. Gay websites offer the possibility to meeting local gays. My partner and I have often been shown around foreign ports by family we met on the web. It was great. Check the travel section of these sites and indicate when and where you will be arriving.

For the most part, most of the responses you've gotten so far seem to be comparing private excursions to the ship's excursions. But if I understand you correctly, what you really want to know is whether you can have fun without doing any organized activity at all.

If that's your question, I think the decision is really yours to decide. We make our own happiness. If you and your partner are the kind of people who can explore a city on your own and have fun browsing through shops and playing on the beach, I say go for it. If you think you really need some activity to do, find recommendations for cheap and fun excursions over on the port boards. But I agree with the other posters who mentioned research. Regardless of whether you do an excursion or stroll through the cities, you should pick up a guide book (or check one out from the library) for the ports of call you're going to so you know what to expect.

It also wouldn't hurt to post a message on the port boards asking for ideas for cheap fun for each of the places you'll be visiting. I'm sure you'll get loads of great ideas! :D

On my past four cruises both in Alaska and the Carib, I've only booked a single shore excursion and have enjoyed all those ports.

I've found that I can walk or taxi to different areas and not feel like I've missed anything, and still enjoy the history, scenery, shopping, food, etc - without being herded along like a bunch of cows...

If you want to go snorkeling or horseback riding, or see Mayan Ruins, etc. then it's a good idea to book an excursion, but just for basic sightseeing, shopping or spending time on a beach? NO WAY!

Just take the maps of the port areas off the boat with you, strike out on your own and have a great time!

For my first time to a port, I might want to do an excursion. If I returned to a port I would definitely do it on my own. Another reason to take an excursion is if there's something specific you want to do that you CAN'T do on your own. For example in Alaska you can't just climb up onto the glacier, you have to have someone take you there.

I think doing the research ahead of time will give you the information you need to decide whether an excursion is worth the $$ or whether you'd just like to take it easy on your own. That being said, we've been to places we thought we would have enjoyed more had we planned an excursion. Sometimes an excursion is available (like whale watching or swimming with the dolphins) that you most likely can't do where you live and therefore may be worth the cost. I hope you have as wonderful a time on your first cruise as we did! Bon voyage!

With only a few hours in San Juan, the best (and coincidentally, the cheapest) thing to do is to explore Old San Juan. Since the piers are at the edge of Old San Juan and OSJ itself is not very large, this exploration is best made on foot. You (and your "cheap" partner) should have a great time. You could also take a taxi to Condado and spend the day at the beach, but you will have plenty of other opportunities to go to beaches on your cruise and Old San Juan is unique and charming. A good place for lunch would be La Mallorquina at Calle San Justo 207. This is an historic restaurant that has been open since 1848 and serves traditional, moderately priced Puerto Rican food.

If shopping interests you, there are some wonderful crafts' shops and galleries as well as factory outlets for Polo Ralph Lauren and Coach.

St. Thomas has a wonderful beach that is a short cab ride from the port. Otherwise, they have tons of shops and eats right across from where you dock and the downtown is within walking distance (if you are in shape) or they have buses running pretty much all day ships are in port (and cheep) Other ports are really up to each person. Most ports will have some things close to the docks, but if this is your first time and you want to get into the feel of the islands, the ship excursions may be the way to go.

Archived