No insurance at all; can I get credit

It has already been suggested, but if I were you, I'd go to insuremytrip.com and get some other quotes. $220 might be a lot more than you have to pay for insurance. I compare costs with and without airfare, mainly because the credit card I use to pay for travel already covers some of the costs. So, if I can save money, I will not include the cost of air. I usually don't include the hotel costs, most hotels have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

For the cost of your trip, I found one policy for $148, I won't link it, because your situation, such as age, may be different from ours.

We are leaving tomorrow on the Jewel - 15 day Transatlantic. We have never bought insurance before, but decided to do it this time. Only some of the reasons why:

1. Full refund if you have to cancel at any time for any reason.

2. The first five days we will be on the Atlantic. If, for some reason, one of us gets sick and needs to be airlifted either to the closest hospital in Europe, or back to the States, insurance pays for that. We have heard stories of huge bills when cruisers had to be airlifted - $25,000 and up - that took them years to pay off because they had no insurance.

3. Insurance will pay (actually refund - we would have to pay up front and submit a claim) for medical and hospital bills while traveling.

Our insurance through NCL was $90 per person - you NEVER know what can go wrong, and we felt this price was very reasonable.

Good luck with your decision!

Kathy and Rob

Also check TravelEx. You can compare Travel Guard and TravelEx on insuremytrip.com, which reminds me... I have to purchase insurance for both my Med cruise and South America cruise.

I just wish they'd take the $$$ X days before the trip rather than immediately upon purchase. Oh well. It's something I rarely travel without. I have use it too, and that's so worth the premium.

I do not purchase travel insurance because my platinum credit card provides $1000.00 per person for cancelation. If the trip is more than this I choose to take the risk. At least I am not out the whole thing. For medical my work policy covers me outside the country for up to 15 days.

I strongly believe in insurance but make sure you are only buying what you need.

M.

Just been looking at the insurance someone has quoted and I didn't feel that it was adaquate. Been looking at my cover and I have much greater cover.

Medical expenses £10,000,000

Cancellation of holiday £3,000

Curtailment of holiday £3,000

Missed departure £600

Travel delay £20 first 12 hrs and £10 each subsequent 12 hrs up to a total of £100 or £3000 if you decide to abandon

Personal accident£20,000 death benifit £30,000 permanent disablement benifit

Medical inconvenience up to a max of £500

Personal property £2000

Single article £300

Valuables £300

Delayed baggage up to £200

Golf equipment £300

Personal money £500 cash

Loss of passport/driving licence £250

Personal Public Liability £3,000,000

Hijack up to £1000

Mugging benifit up to £1000

Legal expenses £35,000

I have had occassion to claim on medical expenses

Total loss of baggage following cruise £2,700 clothing and sundries

Stolen Nikon SLR camera

Cash £270

Cancelled cruise to Hawaii due to illness

On each occassion I had no trouble claiming and other than a £35 excess.

When the claim was over the insured cover my home contents all risk policy paid out on the difference.

I would be unhappy going on holiday without cover such as this even though in Europe the UK has a system where we are treated under the E111 EU rules but we are still advised to have insurance and over the past few years if you do not take the travel operator's insurance you need to provide them with a policy no and the emergence no for that insurance contact.

It is really false economy to even consider not taking adaquate insurance.

Sue

Whew! Have no idea why I decided to read this thread other than I can't believe someone would intentionally travel without insurance then suddenly remembered that I had just cleaned out and threw away "unnecessary" papers from a file on our South American Cruise this month. Those papers included my travel insurance and I will have a secondary medical claim after my primary insurance company gets thru with co-pays etc. Fortunately I was able to "rescue" them in time!

I didn't go on a 14 day cruise around South America to get sick but thank goodness I will have the ability to get financially whole again.

Why, in the world would you take the risk of not buying insurance? I consider it simply part of the cost of the trip, not something extra. If you are feeling pinched by the cost of insurance, I doubt you can afford the trip in the first place!!!!

Archived