American Express--Travelers Checks or Card?

flipoid

I did a search for this but couldn't find my answer. We're going to be getting travelers checks for some of our funds to spend on our Caribbean Princess cruise. American Express has come out with their new Travelers Check (or Checque!) card, which to me seems easier to use than the travelers checks that you'd have to worry about cashing at the pursers' desk or in a store or bank in port. It also seems a bit more secure, as I wouldn't have to carry very much actual cash with me.

Have any of you Princess cruisers had experience with using American Express cards at stores on St. Thomas or St. Maarten? If I get the card, I'd just be afraid that the store I would want to use it in would take Visa and Mastercard, but not American Express.

Also related--do I have to worry about getting local currency for St. Maarten/St. Martin? if so, do they have that on the ship? Or will the port stores accept US dollars?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

My experience has been that I use my AmEx card to pay my sign and sail, but I always bring along a Visa or MC into port because too many shops just don't accept AmEx in the Caribbean. Granted, if you're making a large ticket purchase the chances are that the big stores like DI will accept it, but it's just not worth the hassel. If you're looking to use an AmEx cheque card, I'd think twice. It's really not that big a hassel to cash a Travelers check with the purser, or even ashore if you need to, but you very well may run into several stores that won't accept your AmEx card. Euro and US dollars are accepted on both sides of the island. You'll see prices posted in both on the French side. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, TinaLee! That does help--it's been a while since we've been in the Caribbean, and I honestly don't remember what we did the last time we were there. I remember reading several years ago that AmEx is not accepted at as many places outside the U.S., but I didn't know if that was still the case.

I think it will be regular travelers checks for us. :)

Archived