What are good excursions to do with a 4 and 9 year old?

I know we're compromised with our 4 year old, he can swim but he's never snorkeled. We're going on the Mariner's Western cruise in July. I'd be very interested in hearing other's experiences with their children.

Thanks.

Our youngest (then age 6) did not enjoy snorkeling as much as the rest of the family but really loved our excursion on board the Atlantis semi-submarine (basically a pontoon boat with an underwater viewing area with large windows)...this gave him a chance to really see what the rest of us had been enjoying on our snorkeling excursions). We did this in Curacao, but I think this is available at other stops as well.

Also, if you do plan to snorkel, consider investing in a small wetsuit for your youngest...kids get cold much faster than adults, even in the warm caribbean, and this will maximize his enjoyment.

When we were on a daysail in St Thomas, they provided the younger kids with "look buckets"...basically, glass bottom buckets that the kids can hold in the water as they float along...this is also much easier than snorkeling for a young child.

In general though, your best bet with a 4 year old is beach time where the kids can really enjoy themselves, and perhaps the adults can take turns snorkeling -- don't forget the sunscreen!. Avoid bus tours like the plague!

If you stop in Cozumel....take a cab to Paradise beach. Your kids will LOVE it there. They have all kinds of things for them to do....water trampolines, a floating rock wall, kayaks, jet skis, snorkel tours, etc

Plus the food is great and prices are very reasonable.

Bobbie

Definately go to a beach! Kids love it, especially if a buffet lunch is provided. Avoid any type of Bus Tour...too boring for kids regardless of the destination. Dolphin encounters are also great if you can afford it. Just remember... your 4 yr old probably won't remember anything about this trip so don't go crazy spending on expensive tours.

Just remember... your 4 yr old probably won't remember anything about this trip so don't go crazy spending on expensive tours.

My 6 year old remembers the vacations we took when she was 4, better than I do in some cases...lol.

We haven't done the western itinerary yet (always have done Eastern, so April 07 will be our 1st experience with it). I am looking into the turtle farm, butterfly farm, dolphin encounters and the jeep tours.

We took our DD the first time when she was 3 (almost 4) and she could swim plus we had her in a lifevest and she snorkeled! We practiced in the pool that summer (went in Oct) and used Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman. She STILL talks about the stingrays and how the guy held one up out of the water and it squirted water all over us. She's now 7!

I would keep it low key for the most part but if your kids like animals, the stingrays are NOT to be missed

Archived