Last Minute Cruise - Need Help

ssbeard1

Have booked a last minute cruise on POAM - have less than a month to make arrangements..Very little "research" time. First, I am a planner (I usually spend 6 months making and remaking plans for cruises)...It will be me and my 22 YO DD (our first time to Hawaii). We are active and like adventure. Will definitely do the helicopter tour of Kauai; rent a car and do VNP. The NCL book shows the Wailua River kayaking. I would like to hear what are adventerous MUST DO's on each island. Please - help relieve my stress. :)

You've knocked out two of the islands already - copter in Kauai (but that only takes about 90 minutes) and VNP on the BI (and that could take days!) If the volcano is pumping lava into the sea, the hike is adventurous and terrific (BTW, in the past few days there were lava falls over 70' high just east of the new large lava delta - how cool is that?)

Kona: Kealakekua by kayak, maybe a tour to the top of Mauna Kea?

Maui - I never thought the Haleakala Bike excursions were particularly adventurous. This could be a good day for a snorkel excursion. Maybe a fun snorkel day at Honolua and other beaches. An off-beat hike is to the redwood forest at polipoli state park. Hiking in Haleakala crater is fun - at 10.000 feet a bit exhausting for some.

Suggestion: Get the Revealed books for all the islands. They have "adventures" sections, as well as discussions of all hikes and other more outdoorsy things.

Cram! Imagine this is like the week before finals, but the end result is a Lot more fun.

Thanks for the tips..Unfortunately didn't find the Revealed books at either Books a Million or Barnes & Noble. We haven't much "adventure" planned as of yet. Did book a helicopter tour on Kauai and a luau that was recommended on the boards. Do plan on renting a car in the ports and "winging" it to some degree. Would like to do some waterfall hikes, any suggestions. (will check into the kayaking as you suggested in Kona). Read where you can rent snorkeling equip. for a week in Honolulu, and plan on doing this - are that definite "not to be missed" snorkel spots. Even though it is not adventerous would like to do the sunrise bike tour.

Another must do is Kauai Backcountry Adventures' ditch tubing.

it was a blast. You can do it through the ship or you can arrange it directly for a much lower price and smaller group.

They take you for a half hour ride in a atv truck through beautiful country then you tube thru old plantion irrigation rivers and tunnels tolunch at a lagoon.

Unbeatable!

Archived