My passport is valid for 10 years, NOT 9.5 years

As many nonsensical laws and policies that we (the US) have, I bet if we could find a travel friendly congressperson and bend their ear sufficiently, perhaps they would intervene and convince the state department that it would make sense to change the expiration date on a "Ten year passport" to be ten years and six months from the date of issue. This wouldn't reflect a serious loss of revenue, and if someone could gather and present enough sample cases to show that a "ten year passport" is in reality, only a "nine and a half year passport", they just might this once, do the right thing!

Theron

As many nonsensical laws and policies that we (the US) have, I bet if we could find a travel friendly congressperson and bend their ear sufficiently, perhaps they would intervene and convince the state department that it would make sense to change the expiration date on a "Ten year passport" to be ten years and six months from the date of issue. This wouldn't reflect a serious loss of revenue, and if someone could gather and present enough sample cases to show that a "ten year passport" is in reality, only a "nine and a half year passport", they just might this once, do the right thing!

Theron

But then people would say they paid for 10 years and six months and they are only getting 10 years. So then they would have to lengthen it to 11 years.

I understand you Flagger, I asked the same question a while ago.

Six months may be a little excessive, but from the foreign country's point of view ... they don't want you in their country with no job, potentially out of money, and no way to leave because no other country will let you in on your expired passport.

Basically, it's their country they get to make the rules. The only thing a passport is guaranteed to be good for for ten years is getting back into the US. Frankly, with the rules we put on some country's nationals, I'm surprised more don't have even more oddball rules just as a sort of quid pro quo.

The simplest solution would be to do what the do here in CT when we renew our DL. No matter when you pay to renew the license, they keep the month and day of the expiration the same and just extend by the number of years paid for (I think it's 4). Sounds like the UK does it the same way.

Of course there would be loss of the added revenue they get from using the 9 1/2 year plan.

Jane

But then people would say they paid for 10 years and six months and they are only getting 10 years. So then they would have to lengthen it to 11 years.

But if you read my plan... the only difference is that the expiration is 10 years, six months later. Nothing else changes, including all documentation that describes the passport as being good for 10 years only. The key is "being good". The way they do it right now, it is not.

It's all semantics.. :)

Theron

But if you read my plan... the only difference is that the expiration is 10 years, six months later. Nothing else changes, including all documentation that describes the passport as being good for 10 years only. The key is "being good". The way they do it right now, it is not.

It's all semantics.. :)

Theron

But the problem is too often we Americans want to dictate what the rest of the world does . . .

You say "The key is 'being good'. The way they do it right now, it is not."

That's just not true -- the way "they" do it, with they being the US Passport Office, it IS good for 10 years -- IN THE UNITED STATES. What other countries decide to do with their laws and regulations is beyond our control and none of our business. In some countries a 10 year US passport is good for just that -- 10 years; in others, it is not.

If something like you propose was put in place, those same countries that will not accept a US Passport within 6 months of expiration might simply change their rules to something like "must possess a passport that is good for more than 6 months". We can only control so much -- we make our passports good for 10 years -- we can't make dictate how other governments treat them.

You are right, it is all semantics, but other countries could change their rules to adjust to our semantics and we would end up at the same point - some countries won't accept our passports for as long as they are actually good.:)

You have to look at the entry requirements for the countries you are visiting. Some countries won't let you in if your passport is within X months of expiring. Probably because they don't either want to deal with you being stuck there or something. You can go to the State Department website & look

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1229.html

i.e.

Afghanistan your passport can't be within 6 months of expiring (not going there on a cruise ship anytime soon, but...)

Barbados - passport valid through time of stay

Benin - passport with 6 months validity

Brazil - passport with 6 months validity

I'm not going to go through the whole list here, but I think that's the point the cruiseline is trying to make. You really need to check the country's specific requirements.

This is true. Hong Kong is on that list. They will not permit entry if the expiration date is less than six months from your arrival. Try getting the expidited passport in three days by paying some stranger you only know from a phone number to stand in the in-person line for you at the embassy in San Francisco, (because obviously when you are in New Mexico YOU can't) who will then meet you at the San Francisco airport (you hope) with your new and acceptable passport and you will never let the passport expiration get to less than six months again.

Su

Valid passports aren't just used for travel -- they are also used for identification (like for a new job). In that case, the passport must not have expired in order to use it for ID. So, it's still GOOD in the US.

Also, to those of you who used the term "gypped" -- please know that that term is a deragatory one intended to denigrate Gypsies. No one here would stand for someone saying they were "jewed down" by a street vendor, yet many here think it's ok to use the term "gyp". Sigh.

Mine was expiring last year while on the ship, I just took it and my BC and had no problem.

If you were traveling over seas and your passport was not going to be valid for 6 months after you traveled, then you would have to renew it.

It is 65 dollars to renew it, I just did this and got my new one a couple weeks ago.

This is not something imposed by the cruiseline, do not blame them or make it sound like they are making you renew it. They go by what guidelines they are given. If they let you on the ship and you had trouble with Customs on the return to the US, then sure enough, someone would blame the cruiseline. They have to go by what they are told.

elizanessie- have you seen this in writing somewhere about not missing out on the non-expired period on your passport when renewing it? When we went to Australia in 2000 we had to renew ours early due to the "must have 6 months left" rule.We definitely lost out that time.

We have witnessed first hand a couple who were refused boarding a flight because there passport was going to expire before their return to the UK.If someone is willing to "wing it" after all the planning,expense, anticipation of a vacation, then good luck to them!!:eek:

I really don't think the US cares when your VALID US passport expires for reentry into the US(or any country when a holder of a passport from their own country expires)

Many countries entry forms include some sort of verbiage that you are allowed to remain there for UP TO a certain amount of time. In some cases that amount is... 6 months.

I think the 9-1/2 years is because some countries (possibly US included for foreign passports) Look at it as a potential expiration date.

heatherb1953

My local postmaster told me about the renewal passport date thing.

Just checked....and you can get a form from the P.O.and it explains...that they "can add any period that your passport has left to run(in whole months,up to nine months) to your passport."

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

As for re-entry into the United States even an expired passport will be sufficient. The United States will never knowingly refuse entry to a United States Citizen.

We require visitors from many countries that their passport be valid 6 months past their estimated stay. We also have an agreement with some countries that they will "accept" the person travel's document 6 months past the expiration for their return. And obviously other countries reciprocate these laws.

This is because "**** happens." God forbid someone gets hit by a car and need to be hospitalized for a month and your passort expires next week?

So that general statement avoids any problems.

P.S. The concerned agency would be CBP not ICE. ICE is only concerned about aliens not citizens.

elizanessie ( liz) - thanks for that. This is a hot topic, my DH is always harping on about a 10 year passport is not what it says on the front cover. I will tell him the good news. We have 'til July 2010 before we have to start filling in those darn forms !!:D

elizanessie ( liz) - thanks for that. This is a hot topic, my DH is always harping on about a 10 year passport is not what it says on the front cover. I will tell him the good news. We have 'til July 2010 before we have to start filling in those darn forms !!:D

I renewed our U.K. passports in 2004 when they still had 8 months left to run, the new passports arrived valid for of 10years 8months

jenrie

For the U S citizens that have just gotten their passports or a new (or renewed one), did you get one of the new biometric passports or gotten the "standard" version that's been around for the past 100 years or so? Mine expires in roughly 4 years.

For the U S citizens that have just gotten their passports or a new (or renewed one), did you get one of the new biometric passports or gotten the "standard" version that's been around for the past 100 years or so? Mine expires in roughly 4 years.

I got a new passport in January. It's the standard one. No biometric/RFID anything on it.

I returned from a Caribbean cruise last month, just a month and some days before the expiration date of my passport without problems. The following week, I sent my passport with the renewal form and $67. Even though I used it until almost the end, I wish I could keep the same month and day as the old one. Unfortunately, with next year changes, next time I won't be able to renew it as late as I did now.

Seeing your Dog wink and sneeze was worth reading through the post. LOL, I agree with you we are getting gyp-ed....With my kids passports they pay if I am not mistaken about 20 dollars less than an adults and only get 5 years then when it expires if they are older than 16 I have to start from scratch again....Gyp-ed:D My 13 year old is going to get the new one it cost 12 dollars more..Gyped.

But we love to travel so pay the price.

For Elizanessie:

You wrote: I have to renew my passport before my next cruise in Nov from Miami...although it doesnt run out until March.....but over here now we dont lose out if we send it in early like we used to do.....what I mean is....if I send in my passport 7 months before it runs out ....renewed one is valid for 7 months and 10 years.Does this happen in the USA also ?

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

My last passport was to expire October 12, 2006. My husband and I decided to renew our passports this past January 2006, before our cruise April 2nd. My new passport shows the "Date of Issue" as January 31, 2006 and the "Date of Expiration" as January 30, 2016, so no, you do not get the "extra" months from your previous passport. Your new passport will be good for 10 years from the new date of issue (I have my passport in front of me as I am replying).

Archived