South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

[QUOTE] I've searched the web and can't find anything saying that rhubarb is allowed or disallowed. You might want to go to the prevention.com South Beach forum and ask your question. I'm sure someone on there will know it. Good luck![/QUOTE]Thank you Sheila for the advice. I will check there. Congrats to all who have lost or maintained this week!!

Good morning! :D Our thread seems to be slow lately. I wonder where everyone is? Tami, Nancy, Beth, Shae, Juli????? ;)

I'm now on Phase 1.5 and still seem to be losing at least one pound a week. I'm going to try and stick with it until Thanksgiving and then until Christmas. I'll eat like a pig on Thanksgiving and Christmas. :eek:

Hi everyone, long time no "see." It has been so crazy here it's not even funny. I was so tired today that I slept in until almost 11am! :eek: Yikes.

anyway, I'm hanging in there although I didn't stick to phase one for the last couple of days. It was just too easy to grab a sandwich in the car. I can't wait until next weekend when the kids' play is over. We're taking all of Thanksgiving week off from school. We'll all be ready for sure.

Tami

Sorry I haven't been around. I am overly busy and I shut down when I have too much going on. I really have to watch what all I get myself involved it. Consequently I have been shutting down this week. Next week should be better and I'll post more. Everyone take care.

Hi everyone. I decided to start on SB and have just started Phase 1 today. Can someone tell me if any salad dressings are allowed in Phase 1? How about sprinkling salad with red wine vinegar? The website I'm reading only says what foods are allowed, it does not list any condiments. So, can I assume from that that no condiments are allowed? Not even mustard? I need to get the South Beach book, but I just decided to start today and I don't want to wait to start until I get the book. Thanks.

Elaine, Chris is right. You can also have just about any salad dressing you want as long as it has less than 3 grams of sugar per serving. You probably will want to watch the fat content also. I personally use Ranch dressing and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss. I cannot stomach low-fat or fat-free salad dressings.

Juli & Tami, I'm sorry to hear that both of you are so busy and tired. Just by reading both of your posts on the Countdown thread makes me exhausted. Good luck getting back to normal. ;)

Hi! I have been a ww for years and am trying to lose 10 lbs, with some difficulty. Is there anybody who can compare WW with SB? How easy is SB to follow. Has anybody come upon a thread that compares the two. I am worried about putting on weight and about things that I like for snack like dried cranberries and raisins that are allowed on WW. Any help please and thanks

Well...this weekend (since thursday) I have eatten rotten! Sitting here thinking about my platuea I am beginning to wonder if I am eating more like Phase 3 than Phase 2. I am going to take the time tomorrow to pull the book back out and remind myself about what all is legal and illegal. I think I need to get back on track. I have been at the same weight for almost a month. Here is to starting anew in the morning. Everyone take care.

[quote name='hoenichj']Hi! I have been a ww for years and am trying to lose 10 lbs, with some difficulty. Is there anybody who can compare WW with SB? How easy is SB to follow. Has anybody come upon a thread that compares the two. I am worried about putting on weight and about things that I like for snack like dried cranberries and raisins that are allowed on WW. Any help please and thanks[/QUOTE]Hi Judy! I've followed both South Beach and WW. Personally, I find South Beach a lot easier to follow. You don't have to count anything. I found WW to be very cumbersome due to always having to count something. When I switched from WW to South Beach, I was stuck in my weight loss. I started on Phase 1 of South Beach and immediately lost 5 lbs. the first week. The next week, I lost 2 lbs. You can lose weight on South Beach faster, but you have to make in your way of life. South Beach is not a diet you can use to lose weight and then go back to eating whatever you want. The weight will come back fast. There is a big difference between South Beach and WW so it is really like comparing apples to oranges. BTW, you can have dried cranberries on Phase 2 of South Beach, but not the raisins. Good luck!

Juli, I can relate to what you are saying. I sometimes eat Phase 3 on the weekends. I also learned a lot about what is allowed on what phase by reading the South Beach reference guide (the little paperback book). It lists all of the foods and is especially helpful. Good luck getting back on plan. You can do it!

Hi all, i followed WW from time to time over the past several years. I absolutely hated it and failed miserably every time. The whole points thing where you have to write it down and keep track used to drive me crazy. (Tho' my husband would say it really wasn't a drive, more like a short putt. :rolleyes: ) I also think it had something to do with the low fat content. I can do that to myself on South Beach if I go to low in fat. I just stop losing alltogether.

I had a terrible weekend and am up 5 pounds right now. I know phase 1 will be impossible this week with the tech rehearsals and play so I'm shooting for phase 1 1/2.

Tami

Judy, I use a list in a reference book. It says that the following fruits are not allowed on Phase 2. It doesn't say that cranberries are not allowed.

[font=Verdana][color=#d90000][b]FRUIT, dried[/b][/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=#d90000]
[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Verdana]Currants[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana]Dates[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Verdana][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Verdana]Figs[/font][/color][font=Verdana][color=#000000]
[/color][/font][font=Verdana][color=#000000]Raisins[/color][/font]

[quote name='ColoradoJuli']Shelia - Where did you get the book? I think that would help out significantly.[/QUOTE]Juli, I bought mine at Sam's Club. It looks like the cover of the regular book, but it is small and a paperback. It tells you a lot more about what foods are allowed/disallowed than the regular book. It is under $8 so I highly recommend buying it.

Judy, here is my Phase 1 chili recipe. It makes a pretty good sized pot. :D

2 lbs ground round or ground turkey
1 large can tomato sauce
2 cans stewed tomatoes
2 cans dark red kidney beans
2 pkg chili seasoning
1 large onion
chili powder to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste

Brown ground round and onion in stock pot and then drain off fat. Add remaining ingredients and let simmer for 1-2 hours. Sprinkle low-fat cheddar cheese on top, if desired. Enjoy!

Shelia- Is that the Good Carbs-Good Fats book? I have that one too. In fact I don't even have the main book. Between the prevention site and the GCGF book and this board I've been able to do pretty well. I picked mine up for under $7 at Target.

I'm back mostly on track for phase 2 and have managed to lose 2 of the pounds I gained. I think mostly I just need to get back to a regular exercise routine. Last winter when I lost the 30 I was exercising every day and it was also easier to stick to the WOE then. I probably won't get much done this week because I don't need sore muscles to add to everything I need to do this week but Sunday after the play is over I'm starting in again with the elliptical machine, weights, skating and yoga. I'm convinced that it's that combo that helped me go from a 22/24 to a 16 with only losing 30 pounds.

Tami

Tami, yes! That's it. Here's the complete title for anyone else who might be looking for the book. [b][size=3]South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods[/size][/b]
You can find it at amazon.com for $7.19.

Tami, I'm glad that you found your way back to Phase 2 and lost those 2 lbs. I'm like you, if I don't exercise, the weight just doesn't come off. I'm back to exercising tonight and I'm sure my weight will start to fall off again.

Thanks for all the info. My first day went well. I too have that Good Fats/ Good carbs guide, but I don't see that it says that you can have dried cranberries or bananas. I have a small one that came with my SB diet book from Costco. Is this the correct book? Maybe I'm not reading it properly. According to Amazon.ca there is a new edition coming out in April 2005,that will have revisions, additions etc to the diet.

I just looked in mine and it doesn't specify cranberries but blueberries and strawberries are in there and they should be about the same GI as cranberries as long as you get the unsweetened. Cranberries are listed as "good" under the fresh fruit column in the back.

Shelia- I would like to get started back to exercising now and may do some yoga tomorrow but I can't afford to be really sore right now. I'm the sound tech for the kids play and because of the way the booth is set up I'd have to be 6'5" to see over the board and wall to know what's going on down on stage. So to make up for the fact that I'm more like 5'6" I have to stand on a chair and lean over the board. My hips, legs and back are screaming! Next week though, I promise. I am skating tomorrow though. That should be fun!

Tami

Hi all - I am about to come out from underneath the math book.:D

I looked at the SB site yesterday and ended up joining. I have been cheating so much that I forgot what was and was not legal. I think it will help me out. They have daily menus on the site. I can really use the help with knowing what to make each day. This takes the guess work out of it for me and I think will make it easier for me. I have become upset with myself and that the scale is going up and not down. I did much better eating today. I stayed on track. My goal is to stay on track for the rest of the month except for Thanksgiving. It shouldn't be to difficult for me because I don't like dressing. Mashed potatoes will be a challenge, but I should be able to do pretty good.

Archived