Normandie Restaurant on Summit

IGHL

:confused: When dining in an alternative restaurant, how much should you leave as a tip? I don't mind being charged the $30 extra, but I never know how to figure the tip. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

It was two years ago but I think I left $20 but I tend to over tip. Since the average recommended is $3.50 a day for waiter and $2.50 for bus person per person $10 is probably a better number for 2 people for dinner.

The $30 per person charge IS the tip.

Amazing there is so many thoughts on the tipping at the SP restaurants.....I'm not sure what to do either, because I plan on eating there everyday.....

Amazing there is so many thoughts on the tipping at the SP restaurants.....I'm not sure what to do either, because I plan on eating there everyday.....

Direct from Celebrity's website under FAQ:

"What are the charges for the special dining options on Constellation, Millennium, Infinity and Summit?

Subject: Dining Information

There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Constellation, Millennium, Infinity, and Summit. This charge is a $30 per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). Additional charges apply for wines and other beverages purchased as usual."

I've read a couple of different posts, can't find them right now, that indicated a split of the $30 between gratuities and fee tot he ship. Sorry but I can't recall what it is - seems like it might have been from $5 or $10 of the $30, but not the entire amount.

We usually tip some extra if we get great service, which we generally do. But we also tip well above the recommended amounts for other service personnel on board.

Too many people miss this treat. Great service, relaxed, and GREAT food.

We did the wine pairing with was $57.50 total per person and that included tipping. I recommend you do that as it is so nice to have the different wines with each course.

Don't miss it. We went twice, and wish we had gone one more time.

We do not tip there, as that is included in the price, but like everything else, tiping is a personal choice.

Another question........(please bare with me).

I'm not a cheapskate, but if I don't ever eat in the main dining room, do I still need to tip the waiter/busboy? If you all say yes, I'll do it. Part of me doesn't think it's right to tip for something that is never used, because it's not fair to the other waiters that are working there tail off on other tables........

However, I know this is how they make their $, and I have no problem tipping.....except I'm tipping in the SP restaurant too.....that's like double tipping....please help me out here folks.

Thanks!

We discussed this same thing prior to a past cruise. What IF we never set foot in the main dining room, how about the tip? After many discussions and a few calls to various people at Celebrity WE decided on this: if we opt out of the main dining room for the entire cruise we would not need to tip the wait staff there but would the individuals that gave us service elsewhere. We would have gone down to the Mateir d (sp?) on day one and let him know we would NOT be in the dining room at all.

I am so glad we didn't do this. We had a great table of people and we sure would have missed that. We did use alternative dining on several nights however and in this case we still tipped the dining room staff just as if we were there every night.

Another question........(please bare with me).

I'm not a cheapskate, but if I don't ever eat in the main dining room, do I still need to tip the waiter/busboy? If you all say yes, I'll do it. Part of me doesn't think it's right to tip for something that is never used, because it's not fair to the other waiters that are working there tail off on other tables........

However, I know this is how they make their $, and I have no problem tipping.....except I'm tipping in the SP restaurant too.....that's like double tipping....please help me out here folks.

Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind is that the all of the dining room waiters are waiting on you all day long. These are the people serving you in the cafe, carrying your trays, doing the buffets, the teas, serving ice cream, pizza and clearing the tables in these areas as well as the pool area too. They also work lunch, breakfast, elegant tea, and midnight buffet in the dining room when tables are unassigned. They work long long hours, not just during dinner at the assigned tables. While you might not be having them serve you at the dinner table you likely will use services throughout your cruise.

While tipping is a personal choice, if it were me I'd tip in any event. For the same reason I personally don't deduct a few nights tips if I don't eat in the dining room every night, I always give the full tip - and usually quite a bit more if the service is good (and it always has been).

I was just on the Summit a few weeks ago and we ate at the Normandie Restaurant a couple of times. First, let me answer the question. There is a $30.00 cover charge per person and that includes the tip. When the give you the receipt to sign they also have another line which you can fill out should you care to leave an additional tip. In our case, we did because but it is a personal opinion and I can assure you that it's clearly your choice and not to worry about it. Just decide that evening after your meal.

If you order drinks (eg., wine, etc.) you will be presented with a separate check to sign that is for the drinks only. It will include the 15% gratuity and there will also be another line if you should want to tip more.

I have sailed other lines that charge in the specialty restauants and they do pretty much the same thing although in the case of the cover charge on one of the lines the amount they say is a recommendation which one can go over or under. In most cases, as with Celebrity, you cannot go under the cover charge.

Now, in terms of the restaurant it was the best specialty restaurant we have ever eaten in on a cruise ship. With that said, it was also the most expensive one in terms of the cover charge. Others we have eaten in were considerably cheaper. However, my wife and I have a wonderful time at the Normandy and ended up eating their twice. The service was outstanding and we enjoyed seeing many items that we ordered being prepared table-side and the ambience was outstanding and the food was outstanding. It was turly a wonderful experience.

So, in short, I recommend dining there and in terms of whether or not you want to tip above the $30.00 per person cover charge, just make the decision after your meal knowing that some people tip more, others don't and there is no right or wrong thing to do.

Keith

Thank you all for your comments. We're certainly looking forward to eating at the Normandie and plan to go there more than once during our 14 day trip.:p

Archived