Arriving new york 23 may 6.00 am

pongo

Hi very concerned about this !!!

This is our 1st time on a cruise so we are really concerned about what to do on arriving by the QM 2 in new york.

what is the best way to get to our hotel?????

you are all talking about change of port we have never been to New york but we do understand that the new port is not too far away.

please help us as we want a holiday to remember all help is welcome for us to make the good decision.

friendly greetings

Hi very concerned about this !!!

This is our 1st time on a cruise so we are really concerned about what to do on arriving by the QM 2 in new york.

what is the best way to get to our hotel?????

you are all talking about change of port we have never been to New york but we do understand that the new port is not too far away.

please help us as we want a holiday to remember all help is welcome for us to make the good decision.

friendly greetings

Well hopefully someone here can help you with the transportation end of things. New York is a huge, perplexing and yet exciting city. Its literally the United Nations all in one place. The New York most tourists think of is Manhattan - an island in the centre of the city - where one can find Broadway, the financial district, Central Park, all variety of famous neighbourhoods and even Harlem up at the north end. There are four other boroughs that make up the city though - Bronx, Staten Island, Queens (where the two airports are) and Brooklyn. My understanding is that the new port in Brooklyn is facing towards Manhattan which is just across the river. So it sounds like you'll be on the outskirts (east) of the centre. Problem with a island city is that you have only so many bridges and tunnels and thus point A to point B is not always direct.

Hopefully those who have taken the ship into the new port will give updated info on transportation choices from that location. The area is still in the stages of redevelopment so its the case of the port coming first before much else has. I'd say the area will be far more developed and have more transportation opportunities as the years go by which doesn't help you now.

BTW, where are you staying in New York? I take it you are flying home too? That might narrow down your options even more?

Not a New Yorker but someone who loves to visit!

Thank you

Still hope to get some usefull information from everyone out there!!!!

we are staying at the wellington hotel and we are flying home from JFK to the Nederlands.

we have no plans as yet in new york just trying to get the QM 2 trip sorted 1st then we can look into what we do In New york.

is there anything we shound not miss ??

Thank you :) Johanne

Hi Johanne,

Welcome to the Cunard board and congratulations on booking your first cruise on the QM2. I have sailed on her twice and loved every minute of both voyages.

I have never sailed into Red Hook but have read the posts from others who have. Did you read the thread with unhappy cruisers who booked the Cunard transfers in Red Hook? If not, search for that thread. From reading the experiences of others, it seems the best option is just to get a taxi or town car when you get off the ship. They should be available at the dock when you exit the ship.

I looked up the address of your hotel and you are in a great location right near Times Square in New York City. There are so many exciting things to do in that great city that I would not even know where to begin to tell you what to choose. How many days will you be in NYC? My favorite thing to do in NYC is go to the theater. There are good websites with information about NYC. Just search on the Internet.

Enjoy the QM2.

Thank you

Yes I am very confused as we leave on the 17th and as still dont have any travel documents

Just by reading about the new docks I really just hope someone that has done it before will let us know how it works and give us all advice:D

We are still not sure how we get off the QM2 what did you do?

dont forget we are 1st timers ever of a cruise do we leave our bags out the night before and get a time that we need to be off the QM 2 or so we take our own bags off and get off when we want :confused:

We are pleased with our hotel and are very pleased where it is:D we stay 4 nights so dont think we will get much sleep heard it is the city that does not sleep

My husband has started a list of the things we must do the theater is in there too dont know if to pre book?

well thank you again

Johanne

We are still not sure how we get off the QM2 what did you do?

dont forget we are 1st timers ever of a cruise do we leave our bags out the night before and get a time that we need to be off the QM 2 or so we take our own bags off and get off when we want :confused:

My husband has started a list of the things we must do the theater is in there too dont know if to pre book?

well thank you again

Johanne

I think since you'll be around for 4 days the easiest thing is simply leave all your bags out (with the appropriate tags on) overnight. They'll be collected and you can pick them up as you get off the ship and go through customs. I'm Canadian and have to go through the process and never had a problem with departing a ship. Its a simple process actually. Just remember to leave a small overnight bag with you in the cabin and a change of clothes for the next day.:o The cruise line should be leaving out a notice in each cabin during the voyage for the passengers to return indicating their departure plans so they can plan how to arrange the order of departures accordingly. At least that is how it worked on Holland America Line.

Actually a lot of New Yorkers travel by taxi and its reasonably priced but it all depends on where you want to go so maybe you should look into that. All NYC taxis are yellow as the city has standardized them for the public's ease of recognition.

Definites? Well, Broadway if you love theatre. Central Park (its actually quite safe during the day and its New York's big back yard where all Manhattanites seems to rest, walk, play, etc. on the weekends). The Empire State Building but beware of the crowds - go during the off hours or you'll be in a line for 2 hours. If you don't like the wait people watch over at Rockefeller Center instead. If you like to shop take a walk around Fifth Avenue. Even if you can't afford the shops its a fabulous area to walk around. Time Square is a mad house but a fun place.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy New York.

Johanne,

If you have only a few pieces of luggage and can carry them ALL off the ship yourself that is probably the best choice for you. That allows you to be in the first group of people off the ship. You will find many taxis waiting for passengers as you exit the ship. The taxi will take you directly to your hotel so that should be very easy for you. Be sure and have the exact address of your hotel for the taxi driver as he/she may not be familiar with every hotel. Again, read the thread on this page about "Beward of Cunard Transfers in Red Hook". It has reports from people who have docked in Red Hook.

Bramcruiser gives you good advice if you want to put your bags out the night before. Do not worry about getting off the ship. It is really not hard and the staff will help you.

In Times Square which is near your hotel, you will find a TKTS booth. I hope this link will take you to their website. http://www.tdf.org/tkts/index.html#

You can get discounted tickets for Broadway shows on the day of the show. You do have to stand in line to get tickets and of course, not every show is available. However, you can see the list of shows that are available before getting in line. Your hotel can tell you where the TKTS booth is located. If you don't want to stand in line and don't mind paying the full price for the tickets, you can go directly to the box office for the show you want to see and check about available tickets.

Bramcruiser also has good advice for other things to see in NYC. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you go to Central Park - Beautiful time of year to go there.

Take a horse and carriage ride. Also you can go to Ground Zero where

the World Trade Center use to be and say a pray. Go to Rockerfeller Center as well.

Dave

I live right on the Hudson River facing NYC

If you want theater tickets, try broadwaybox.com. They have coupons for similar prices to the tkts booth, and, you can print them out and bring them with you. That way, if you decide you want to see a show, you can take the coupon to the theater and buy a discount ticket without standing in line for hours.

Archived