Red Hook arrival report 29 April

DaddyWarbucks

Since there has been much apprehension and discussion about the new port facility, here is my experience today April 29th. disembarking from the QM2. The ship was nearly full as they picked up over 600 QE2 passengers in Southampton who were completing their world tour (The QE2 went to France for drydocking).

If you were up at 5AM, you would have seen the Statue of Liberty from about a mile and a half - this was, of course before dawn. We did not see the Manhattan skyline with the new route to Brooklyn. Docking was at 6AM.

With some 2500 passengers to disembark, it took until nearly 10AM (estimated) for all to get ashore. Self disembarking passengers were allowed off first at 7:30AM. I was surprised that there were a good supply of waiting cabs.

At customs, there were 17 booths, but only half of them were staffed. It did create a bottleneck, but I dont think Cunard can be blaimed for this.

Outside, was an extensive parking lot with ample facilities for waiting busses, limos and cabs. I noticed another area where about a dozen refrigerated trucks were waiting to load provisions. I thought this was well organized and ample staff present to direct passengers to their transportation.

I was skeptical about finding a cab, so I had booked on the bus to Manhattan. The busses were loaded and departed with little wait time. The route from the pier to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel did not pass an area nearly as decrepit as I had expected. Possibly the area along this route has been cleaned up. Now iif they can attract a car rental company to the facility, I would really be happy.

All in all, a better experience than I had expected, but I think that Cunard has lost a part of it's image; their brochure cover shows the QM2 sailing between the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. Passengers no longer see the Manhattan skyline and few will be up at 5AM to see the Statue of Liberty.

Thanks for the feedback on your recent arrival. Since the QM2 comes into port so early in the morning, most people would miss out no matter where she docks, though it would be nice to look out and see Manhattan right there.

(either I can getting old and can not read well or your default font is really small... okay I am getting old but my eyes hurt after reading your post)

Since the QM2 comes into port so early in the morning, most people would miss out no matter where she docks, though it would be nice to look out and see Manhattan right there.

Not so! When I have arrived in Manhattan on either the QE2 or QM2 many passengers have been up on deck - I would guestimate over half - though of course now there is much less reason to be up on deck.

There were many, many people up and about at 5 a.m. when I came up on deck (I wanted to see the Verazanno, but just could not get myself up at 4 a.m. and missed going under it). I would rough guess 500 to 700 people were awake at 5 a.m.

Paul

Thanks very much to Daddy Warbucks for this useful information. I had really wanted to rent a car leaving the Red Hook terminal, but now I know the score so will wait for my limo.

Glad to know it took a while for them to get everyone off. My wife and I are in no mood to rush off a boat after it docks at 06h00. Knowing that it will take awhile is comforting -- we'll take our time getting up and about and plan to be among the people getting off last, if CUNARD does not insist we leave at a pre-set time.

Once again, thanks. Now that was useful information!!!

Thanks very much to Daddy Warbucks for this useful information. I had really wanted to rent a car leaving the Red Hook terminal, but now I know the score so will wait for my limo.

Glad to know it took a while for them to get everyone off. My wife and I are in no mood to rush off a boat after it docks at 06h00. Knowing that it will take awhile is comforting -- we'll take our time getting up and about and plan to be among the people getting off last, if CUNARD does not insist we leave at a pre-set time.

Once again, thanks. Now that was useful information!!!

You may want to check with Avis. They opened a new office about 1 mile from the terminal at Atlantic Avenue and Courts Street and may be willing to send a car to pick you up. You can also take a cab there and then return to the dock to get your luggage and the rest of your party. If you are just staying inside NYC you really don't need a car.

This is for Northern Neighbour or anyone wanting to respond--

We are also arriving in Brooklyn on the QM2. Northern Neighbour, would you recommend the limo service you are using, we would appreciate the website address or a phone number or to (anyone) or would you recommend just catching a taxi. Are there a sufficient amount of taxis arriving for passengers to take? We are going to fly out of LGA and need transportation there.

Thanks,

Christy

Check out the kind posting from Maria from Brooklyn (who knows) on the "First peer at Red Hook Piers" thread.

She recommends a limo service that is close to Red Hook and one that is pleased to handle Cunard customers and does advance bookings without booking through Cunard (which is more expensive).

Maria reports:

Have posted this information before, but here goes again.

Promenade Car Service - 718-858-6666.

They will take your reservation in advance and give you a price when

you call. They are familiar with the area and are located not far

away from Red Hook in Brooklyn Heights.

I have personally spoken to Gary of Promenade CS and he said they

would be happy to serve the passengers of QM2.

UNQUOTE

If you call them from abroad, the country code for the USA is 1. Therefore, the phone number (using the international listing standard is +1 718 8586 666.

Hope this helps. If you use them, post your experience here so we can get some feedback.

The Red Hook terminal has signed an agreement with a car service(limo service) to allow them to pick up at the terminal without prior arangement. The reports are that there are more available limos waiting than yellow cabs and that they charge about $40 to midtown manhattan about $45.00 to LGA and $70.00 to Kennedy, abiout 25-33% more than a cab would cost. Personally I agree with the people about taking a limo. Cabs are very tight and some of them called pollution free ones- which use natural gas - have NO trunk(boot) at all its all a tank for the natural gas.

$70.00 to Kennedy airport?:eek:

It is only a distance of 20 miles. Most Brooklyn car services have a flat rate to local airports ranging from $35.00 to $45.00.

Do yourself a favor and check the car services. They have a range of car sizes to provide to you depending on the amount of luggage you have.

In January, I found that two woman alone (myself and my cousin) can have more luggage than a limo trunk can handle. We shared the inside of the limo with half of our luggage.

With a car service I have learned that if you tell them you have two people with six suitcases and several carry ons or totes (after 12 days and a lot of shopping) the CS sent a van. Don't laugh! It was comfortable, we were helped in and out of the van (not our experience with the limo) and we paid $30.00 from the Manhattan pier into Brooklyn.

Hope this info is helpful.

Maria

Archived