Door Threshholds in Public areas

kokimojo

I really enjoy cruising but I do have one thing to whine about.......those silly threshholds! You've been there - alone in your manual chair - try to open the door to get to the Promenade deck AND go over the hump.....I always end up waiting for help from Kind strangers.

This does make me wonder 'just why are they there'? The natural thought is

flood control' but realistically how much water damage would they prevent? Or am I missing their real purpose......if so, what is it?

The only way to avoid the 'hump' is to only go to the flat public areas-usually the sun/lido decks or the main dining area. Does anyone know why they really have them and more importantly, an easier way over them?

The only "easier" way I know of is to have a companion with you everytime you want to go outside!! :) People are always very kind about opening the doors, but I've sometimes had to hang around for awhile.

I always assumed (and you know how much trouble you can get in doing that) that those high thresholds were to keep water out, but I hope I'm never on the kind of seas with waves that high.

Hopefully, some marine knowledgable person will come along with the "real" answer........

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that you have the "real answer". To keep deck-washing water out as well, not just waves. And I fully agree that they can be an annoyance. My travel scooter often bottoms out on them and I have to be lifted over. I was on a very long cruise and could only get to fresh air areas through the center of the ship to the swimming pool and buffet areas.

A portable threshhold ramp which eliminates the jump-over at the apex might help, but then you have to retrieve and carry the ramp. A pull cord on the door handles help to extend the arm length and make it easier to get doors open. But some of those exterior doors are mighty heavy! I have often temporarily recruited a drink server to accompany me to the door and open it and boost me over if necessary.

Star Princess was a pain. Regal Princess had lower water seal threshhold stops and I was able to come and go as desired.

Archived