To Buy or Not to Buy...DCW!!!

Froggy615

We will be doing a 6 day pre-cruise land tour in June, 2006 and renting an RV from Great Alaskan Holiday RVs...We just can't decide whether or not we should buy the Damage Collision Waiver Ins or not...it is like $17 per day and would just like the opinions of those who have rented RV's as to whether or not you did or didn't purchase this....pro's & con's...thanks so much!!!! Annetta:D

Very expensive isn't it!!! We're debating the same thing for our rental this month... but damage repair will be very expensive, too. I'm still doing some thinking on this, also, and look forward to reading the replies to your post.

It depends on your driving experience. The insurance is expensive because a lot of people don't realize how big their unit is and tear the side or top of the rig on trees, building overhangs, other vehicles and so on. Some of the accidents I've seen are almost funny.

Murray

... a lot of people don't realize how big their unit is and tear the side or top of the rig on trees, building overhangs, other vehicles and so on.

Murray

Thank you, I think you just answered the question for us.:) We'll wing it and rely on years of farm truck/equipment experience to 'insure' us. Just have to ante up if we end up with a broken windshield or something minor. (Not that I haven't disked out a fence post or two in my life...)

The problem with "self insuring" yourself is that if you are in an accident caused by someone else, the rental company will still hold you responsible for the damage, charge your credit card, then you need to deal with the insurance company of the other party to get it settled. Not a fun job, especially if you are in the continental 48 US and they are in AK.

If it were me, I would pursue an independent policy that covers CDW for RV's. As was mentioned, some travel insurance companies provide this at far lower cost than the RV companies themselves.

FYI, I don't work for an RV company, a rental company or an insurance company. But I also don't want to be foolish and save $15/day on CDW then pay $10,000 to have a rental car fixed. I always make sure I have an alternative to the high-priced CDW offered by the rental companies lined up before I arrive at the rental counter.

First check and see if any other insurance you have would cover the RV as suggested above.

If not, $102 is nothing compared to what you might end up paying IF you have an accident. I know, IF is the BIG word. For peace of mind, I would get it. $102 is a drop in the bucket compared to what your vacation is costing. I wouldn't think $102 would break you at this point.

We rented from Great Alaska Holidays a few years ago and were very pleased with the RV. We did opt for the CDW insurance, and I'm glad we did. We had no accidents, but when returned the RV, there was a ding in the front window by the bunk. (There is a lot of loose gravel on the roads here.) I was very glad we didn't have to pay for the repair -- kinda puts a damper on the vacation! If your car insurance doesn't cover rental RVs (ours didn't), you might want to consider getting some collision coverage. In this situation, $100 can buy a lot of peace of mind.

You all make some valid points... we'll check with our insurance agent on pricing. Perhaps it would be less costly based on our driving records with no claims filed since we've been with the company (18somthing years). Then again, if we needed to file a claim, it might raise all our rates? Still need to do some thinking.:)

We're going to check with our insurance company on the cost of a rider for the CDW...hopefully, it's cheaper. Either way, we will get CDW. Last time we rented, on the way to Valdez, a moose jumped out in front of us; my husbands great driving saved us (and the moose) from being killed. He was HUGE, and would have totalled the MH, I'm sure. You just never know. We never saw him coming because of the brush and trees on the side of the road. He was so close, I could see his eye looking right at us!

After reading some of the moose dodging and rock throwing replies...our minds are made up...we will buy the DCW...there is no way I want to pay for any accidents or mishaps and the extra insurance will offer us peace of mind!! Thanks again and we will wave when we pass any of you!!! :D Annetta

I recently returned from a golf trip where we rented 2 minivans. I too was concerned and was considering buying the extra insurance. However, after doing some research I discovered that as of Mar 1, 2006, if you are a VISA holder, when using your VISA, you are automatically covered for LDW, to include "loss of use" charges. (See link below)

When we checked into the rental counter, the agent of course gave us the "song and dance" about the insurance, and I showed him the article stating all covered by VISA. He still pressed the subject, for they get a commission on the insurance, but I refused.

There are some rental exceptions, don't know exactly if a RV is covered, but certainly worth looking into. It saved us quite a bit for over a weeks rental.

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/credit/visa_signature_benefits_auto_rental.html?it=search

Hope this helps :)

The BIG deal with the LDW (CDW) is the "loss of use" provision.

We own a logisitcs managment (read glorified trucking) company. We have COMMERCIAL insurance, which generally covers any vehicle (including 38 owned semis) and any driver that has been approved by the insurance company.

Two years ago, we rented an RV for one of our employees to stay in for about 30 days. We do business in Alaska yearly. I didn't check for other insurance, just "assumed" the insurance was going to cover EVERYTHING. You all know what ASSUME implys, right!!!

Our employee hit an animal (he thought it was a caribou but never found the animal, so it could have been a small moose, deer, etc.). Did some SERIOUS damage. I turned it over to our commercial insurance (John Deere, one of the largest trucking insurers in the US). We got a bill for over $17,000+ for "loss of use" in addition to the repairs ($27,000).They (and we) are still fighting about it. Our company may be stuck paying the "loss of use" provision.

I absolutely WILL NOT rent another RV (or car) for that matter without the LCW. Sure, it was a lot of money when we rented the RV. But a WHOLE lot less than what is may cost us. And we have COMMERCIAL insurance. Just an FYI.

Okay... greatam's post brought to mind an old email forward from my husband to me.

I just found it again, and it has a very graphic picture of a moose/car collision. The car is just ripped up, the moose body is in the interior, head hanging out the rear winshield.

Upon contemplation of that.... We WILL be purchasing the extra insurance!!!

Thank's for jarring my memory, greatam.

Archived