SS France / SS Norway Heads For Graveyard

Bollinge

The costs involved running old ships are colossal (start with $1000/day and just keep adding) hence why so many of these projects fail. It is not the fault of Goossen that the projects he has reported on have failed, it is inevitable in most cases.

It has been known that NCL has been wanting to get rid of the old girl for a number of years, remember she did have a final transatlantic voyage in September 2001. After the boiler explosion, they had a chance but did not take it. NCL are masters of controlling the political powers. I do not know if holding on to the ship for so long was part of this (remember the Independence and SS-United States, what is happening there....?).

There are two theories on Project Dubai:

1) They are waiting until the scrappers are forced to ditch the ship for any price once they find they will not be allowed to legally dismantle the ship.

2) They were a convenient cover story to allow the ship to be moved from Malaysian waters in spite of the environmental concerns.

How this all plays out will have some bearing on QE2 future after her retirement.

The costs involved running old ships are colossal (start with $1000/day and just keep adding) hence why so many of these projects fail. It is not the fault of Goossen that the projects he has reported on have failed, it is inevitable in most cases.

Yes, it is inevitable that they will fail, and yet he continues to promote them!

Every time, he claims that the potential buyers he is backing have the money and are ready to do it and yet somehow, every time, it turns out not to happen. Somehow makes me think that maybe he does not really know what these people's finances look like, and is just believing whatever they tell him.

(remember the Independence and SS-United States, what is happening there....?).

Star Cruises' chairman Mr Lim announced at PRIDE OF HAWAII's christening a couple of months back that the decision has been made to return SSUS to service. You will recall that up until this point they would only say that they were considering it. Now according to Mr Lim, the decision has been made and it will happen.

Oddly, nobody seems to have noticed this. I would think Mr Lim is telling the truth, if nothing else I am more likely to believe him about SSUS than Mr Goossens about NORWAY!

I believe NCL have confirmed that it will not be economical to return INDEPENDENCE to service.

Star Cruises' chairman Mr Lim announced at PRIDE OF HAWAII's christening a couple of months back that the decision has been made to return SSUS to service. You will recall that up until this point they would only say that they were considering it. Now according to Mr Lim, the decision has been made and it will happen.

It would be fantastic to see SSUS sail again. I went down to see her in Philadelphia a couple of years back and was so in awed at her. She looks like she is hewn from a solid billet of steel.

I hope that she will return to service but the cost will be substantial. She needs to have interiors replaced and the propulsion machinery is going to either need a rebuild or replacement. Getting insurance on a steam powered passenger ship would be difficult and the cost of fuel is only going to go up. You could build two new ships for the cost of bringing the SSUS back in service.

It would be fantastic to see SSUS sail again. I went down to see her in Philadelphia a couple of years back and was so in awed at her. She looks like she is hewn from a solid billet of steel.

Only the hull - the superstructure is aluminum :) !

I hope that she will return to service but the cost will be substantial. She needs to have interiors replaced and the propulsion machinery is going to either need a rebuild or replacement.

All they are going to use is the hull.

The superstructure is aluminum and in poor condition and will have to be removed. The machinery is ancient and has not been used in 35+ years and would have incredible fuel consumption (I don't think insurance would be a problem) so it will be removed and replaced by modern diesel-electric machinery.

The whole operation will cost at least as much as a new ship and when they are finished that is basically what they will have; a new ship.

I know that most who have cruised on the Norway/France are pulling for her survival- but the greatest likelihood is she will be carved up in Alang as soon as the noise dies down- for more info- take a look here- http://www.maritimematters.com/mall_alang_pk.html

I have found it interesting to see several ships here which I have previously enjoyed cruising on in better times- particularly the Dolphin IV.

Only the hull - the superstructure is aluminum :) !

All they are going to use is the hull.

The superstructure is aluminum and in poor condition and will have to be removed. The machinery is ancient and has not been used in 35+ years and would have incredible fuel consumption (I don't think insurance would be a problem) so it will be removed and replaced by modern diesel-electric machinery.

The whole operation will cost at least as much as a new ship and when they are finished that is basically what they will have; a new ship.

I believe this was exactly what was stated in the page about the Michelangelo. That after that, they rebuilt the front superstructures of steel, as the aluminum buvckles as it did not have the sstrctural sterength to survive the force of that rogue wave.

So after the accident of Michelangelo, also other liners as France and United States had the forward superstructures strengthened by steel.

http://www.michelangelo-raffaello.com/english_site/service_michelangelo/accident_michelangelo/accident_mich.htm

From the web page cited.

Karie,

Who only knows what she has read.

Politics aside I am very grateful to ss maritime for supplying information about this beautiful ship, very occassioanlly "lost causes" do succeed if people really care about something and make enough noise to change situations. Unfortunately in this case I do believe that all will fail and the legendary ship will be lost forever.

I wish that someone had bought her when NCL were offering her for sale and the environmental issue is all that has delayed her destruction so far, but has added to the indignity of the whole end to her life.

I think it would have been wonderful for the French to have used her in some way, they have a strong naval history and are still building fabulous ships, it would have been their last chance to demonstrate their strong prensece in cruise liner heritage, especially now they do not have a presence in the operation of cruise ships any more.

I will be very sad to hear that all the battles have been lost and the site of her destruction will be hard to witness.

Too late for the big lady.

The last of the traditional transatlantic express liners. The longest passenger ship built until QM2, and the second fastest. One of the greatest hulls ever designed for efficiency and seakeeping.

She was designed and built as a expression national pride. Would have been a holder of the Blue Ribband except for SS United States.

An express liner built with mass transatlantic air travel looming. She had a powerful heart and a fuel consumption to match. Then the 70s energy crisis fell and she was mothballed.

After her brief reprieve from the breakers by NCL, time finally caught up with her and now, 44 years after launch, she sits on a beach in India.

I extend a "Goodbye" to Big Blue, and the great ship, The France, she once was. I am glad I got to sail on her and sad that nowone will ever again.

I was hoping against hope that France/Norway/Blue Lady could be saved. I will treasure my fading memories of my very first cruise experience in 1974 on The France. I had a date with one of the officers and he kissed me way up by the France sign. I also had a date with a first class waiter, who took me on a special tour below decks. (I liked the waiter MUCH better than the officer!) I remember that the ship gently swayed all the way across the Atlantic, and I continued swaying on my sea legs for three days in Paris after arriving on Bastille Day via train from Cherbourg. I still have my daily programmes and menus, and a France ashtray. Ah youth..... it was another lifetime back then! Farewell to this grand old lady.....:(

I was hoping against hope that France/Norway/Blue Lady could be saved. I will treasure my fading memories of my very first cruise experience in 1974 on The France. I had a date with one of the officers and he kissed me way up by the France sign. I also had a date with a first class waiter, who took me on a special tour below decks. (I liked the waiter MUCH better than the officer!) I remember that the ship gently swayed all the way across the Atlantic, and I continued swaying on my sea legs for three days in Paris after arriving on Bastille Day via train from Cherbourg. I still have my daily programmes and menus, and a France ashtray. Ah youth..... it was another lifetime back then! Farewell to this grand old lady.....:(

I'm not surprised you were swaying on your sea legs having read that one!!

Are you sure it was anything to do with being on dry land :-)

I'm very jealous none the less.... you minx!!

My memories are all very innocent ones, and unfortunately nothing can change that now :-( Anyway I've got some naughty memories (and quite fresh) from the QM2 and QE2 to be getting on with.

Mark x

The SS Norway was our honeymoon cruise in January 1981; this was also our very first cruise and holds many fond memories.

What a beautiful ship. I loved the Club International which was very much the same as it was during the SS France days, we were told. The promenade deck with its many shops and public rooms was grand. On our first SS Norway cruise there was a Norwegian fur shop on board, very strange since the Norway only cruised the Caribbean.

It is very upsetting knowing she is now on the beach never to sail again.

Archived