This Chanel Eyeshadow thing....

PLEASE don't flame me but I have to ask.....

I almost DIED when I read the post on spending $847 at one time on makeup:eek: ... but I don't know what is worse to me... :rolleyes: ..the fact that she spent that much at once OR the fact that I did not know anything about Chanel being SOOOOO spectacular.

I have investigated the pricing and although I can't figure out HOW she spent that much at once, I do see the prices are affordable.

What I want to know is WHY are they so great?

I LOVE a great product... makeup especially, and am willing to "pay" for it if it lasts and is good.

Tell me all the facts as to why this is better than others, and if there are better ones.... which?

I want to shop for myself!:D

Thank you !

Heather

PLEASE don't flame me but I have to ask.....

I almost DIED when I read the post on spending $847 at one time on makeup:eek: ... but I don't know what is worse to me... :rolleyes: ..the fact that she spent that much at once OR the fact that I did not know anything about Chanel being SOOOOO spectacular.

I have investigated the pricing and although I can't figure out HOW she spent that much at once, I do see the prices are affordable.

What I want to know is WHY are they so great?

I LOVE a great product... makeup especially, and am willing to "pay" for it if it lasts and is good.

Tell me all the facts as to why this is better than others, and if there are better ones.... which?

I want to shop for myself!:D

Thank you !

Heather

Jane can probably answer this better than I am but, pricier cosmetics use better and richer pigments that are much more expensive. They go on smoother and last much longer.

Part of the $800+ dollars included makeup brushes. Good makeup brushes can be made from sable or other natural hair and last a lifetime making them well worth the expense.

Also, marketing does take up a big chunk of the cost of doing business. Aside from the marketing, I think I read Chanel paid Nicole Kidman $5 Million to be the spokesmodel for Chanel No 5.

She probably bought everything all at once including the makeup brushes, which are great. But, I can tell you that my blush that I use every day (sometimes more if I go out in the evenings) I've had for over a year. My eyeshadow is the same way. You only have to use small amounts to get a great benefit.

Okay....if you go to the Chanel counter and start asking prices of things you will see real quick how it can add up FAST! For instance, my wrinkle cream was $150. :eek: I bought 5 makeup brushes. Those little buggers are expensive! :eek: I bought bronzer. I bought night cream and day cream and makeup base. I bought blush. I bought a lip liner pencil. I bought 4 eyeshadows. I bought lip gloss. I bought long lasting lipstick. I bought eyeshadow base, etc. Believe me...there were still other things I wanted, like nail polish. I adore their nail polish. :p I am so sorry that I put you in shock. Very vain woman like me (who loves makeup anyway) = $847 at the Chanel counter. :eek: Oh...I am still very happy with everything and learning that you use very little of most everything, especially the eyeshadows. The colors are very intense and gorgeous. ;)

Okay....if you go to the Chanel counter and start asking prices of things you will see real quick how it can add up FAST! For instance, my wrinkle cream was $150. :eek: I bought 5 makeup brushes. Those little buggers are expensive! :eek: I bought bronzer. I bought night cream and day cream and makeup base. I bought blush. I bought a lip liner pencil. I bought 4 eyeshadows. I bought lip gloss. I bought long lasting lipstick. I bought eyeshadow base, etc. Believe me...there were still other things I wanted, like nail polish. I adore their nail polish. :p I am so sorry that I put you in shock. Very vain woman like me (who loves makeup anyway) = $847 at the Chanel counter. :eek: Oh...I am still very happy with everything and learning that you use very little of most everything, especially the eyeshadows. The colors are very intense and gorgeous. ;)

Linda,

It is none of my business at all.... but thanks for clarifying!I thought you only bought EYESHADOWS!! DUH!

I can easily see how that accumulated quickly.... makeup is sooo fun and addicting.

What I want to know thought is, compared to other products, are the colors better/

Are the textures different... silkier, smoother, etc?

Finally, obviously I am assuming they will last longer than others?

I guess that I didn't make myself clear in the beginning when I wrote "My trip to buy Chanel eyeshadow." :p I should have said...I went to the department store with intentions of only buying Chanel eyeshadow, but instead, spent a total of $847 on Chanel makeup PLUS eyeshadow, or something like that. ;)

Although it is a bit shocking to read someone spent that much at one time, I can completely understand it. When I go and just pick up 3 items, say a lipstick, eyeliner and a new shadow quad, it will be around $100.

It's a good thing the stuff lasts a long time!

Jane can probably answer this better than I am but, pricier cosmetics use better and richer pigments that are much more expensive. They go on smoother and last much longer.

I'm no cosmetic expert but the pricier lines have more intense pigments, no talc and are ground finer. Also, their packaging costs more.

Also, marketing does take up a big chunk of the cost of doing business. Aside from the marketing, I think I read Chanel paid Nicole Kidman $5 Million to be the spokesmodel for Chanel No 5.

I don't know their budgets but I'm sure Revlon spends as much as Chanel for advertising and marketing. Ever use those $1.00 off coupons in the magazines? Well, if 5 million coupons are redeemed, then that's $5million in advertising dollars alone that go back to the stores to reimburse them for all those coupons. Those celebrity's models may not make $5million each, but they make alot and there's more of them in one season. Girls like Cindy Crawford or Halle Barry don't work for pennies.

I received an entire set of Chanel make up brushes as a thank you gift from an appreciative mother of the bride some years ago when I was a floral designer. (She was a regional VP so she gave me the kit that the girls who work at the makeup counter get after their training)

They were fantastic and to be honest, made a difference even when applying inexpensive makeup. I still have most of them and they're still in great shape. I have yet to buy new ones but I would think I would find them well worth the cost.

I guess this is a little off topic but I will ask anyway. How many of you use foundation brushes? I have had two and both ended up under the sink. I think that there is nothing like your fingers for applying foundation.

I have tried the brushes. I bought an Estee Lauder foundation brush and tried it. I did not like it at all. I have also tried the sponges. Same problem. I don't like the way theyspead the foundation on my face. It is not a smooth or even as I can get it with my fingers. Also, I like light coverage. I can get the coverage I like with my fingers.

So, I guess I'm like you. I vote for fingers. My brush is under my counter, too.

Linda

PS, I love Chanel eyeshadow. The colors are so vibrant and I love the texture and it stays on all day!!

I use the Lancome foundation brush and found that the brush helps me to smooth out the makeup more evenly. It also helps me not have that line that sometimes happens. I do not like heavy application of makeup and the brush really helped me to keep it light. I also found that I used less foundation when I use the brush.

I guess this is a little off topic but I will ask anyway. How many of you use foundation brushes? I have had two and both ended up under the sink. I think that there is nothing like your fingers for applying foundation.

The lady who sells me my Chanel told me not to bother with using anything for applying foundation. That as long as your hands are clean, your fingers work best. I use a Q-tip to get the foundation out of the bottle - gets the perfect amount - and then just use my fingers to apply it.

I tried the foundation brush from Prescriptives and hated it.

I wear the Prescriptives Custom Blend foundation because no one has the right color for me. Been wearing it for 10 years and on my last visit the get a new one, the cosmetic lady really did a hard sell on the brush, so I bought it. Hated it and brought it back.

Soxfan....Wow. What a wonderful "thank you" gift!

I used Chanel for years until I moved to West Texas. You just can not buy colors by mail or computer. It was worth every penny and lasted. When I lived in St. Louis my GF and I ran a little test. She spent more in inexpensive foundation than I spent on Chanel because of how little it took to do the job. She uses Chanel now. Actually, I am still using one concealer and I have the feeling I should have parted with it, but it still does the job beautifully.

I was interested to hear Chanel has long lasting lipstick. But does that mean like the 16 hour stuff, or just "long lasting?" This is important to me because I can refresh my lipstick in the car, including liner and most of it be gone by the time I walk 30 steps to the restuarant.

I have a medical appointment in Houston so I could get some then.

Thank you.

The Chanel lipstick that I bought is longlasting. You put the color on and let it dry for about a minute. Then you go over it with the clear gloss on the other end of the tube. The color lasts all day, a little longer than 30 steps to the restaurant. :p I believe I paid $30 for it. I am happy with it.

As for all the other things I bought...the foundation makeup brush is going back. I just can't get it to work as well as the makeup artist did when she applied my makeup that day in the store. :( After using it for almost 2 weeks, I still prefer my fingertips for applying my makeup.

I will definately take you advice and buy some in Houston. That sounds like exactly what I need. I am assuming that since it is Chanel it will not dry out my lips which the much less expensive versions do.

Thank you.

I have found the us women get sucked into a whole lot of stuff we don't need, I read a great book called "Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me". It talks about the drugstore equivalent off all the expensive things we think we need.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/bulletin/bb.asp?type=0805

Check out this link, its very interesting. The woman's name is Paula Begoun, and after I found out about her, I don't buy salon hair products, and stuff like that anymore.

An interesting read!!

I have read that book, she updates it every year or at least she used to. I also read her online updates and I have to say she is not shy about criticizing almost every makeup brand EXCEPT her own. I don't see how you can be impartial when you are trying to sell your own products.

She probably bought everything all at once including the makeup brushes, which are great. But, I can tell you that my blush that I use every day (sometimes more if I go out in the evenings) I've had for over a year. My eyeshadow is the same way. You only have to use small amounts to get a great benefit.

I thought you were supposed to throw away cosmetics that were over a year old, I thought they "went off". Does anyone know for sure?

Maybe things have changed again....I heard this about 5 years ago!

I have read that book, she updates it every year or at least she used to. I also read her online updates and I have to say she is not shy about criticizing almost every makeup brand EXCEPT her own. I don't see how you can be impartial when you are trying to sell your own products.

Yeah, I went to the website and the moment I saw she was selling her own stuff the conflict of interest thing turned me right off.

I have inexpensive lipsticks and some MAC stuff. I use my MAC more often. Why? There are several reasons:

The colors work well on me. I go to the counter and the saleslady tries it on my face. I walk home with it on without buying anything, unless I need a refill. I wear it and look at it in different light. I never make a mistake.

The feel of the more expensive products is better to me. I've used both, own both.

I like the nicer packaging. For me life is not always beautiful. A nice lipstick makes me smile.

Makeup is not something women need period. It's a luxury. A little something we do, if we do it, to make ourselves feel special. If a woman likes to spend her money on the more expensive stuff I don't feel she's being duped. Anyone who goes to the drugstore knows there is less expensive stuff out there.

I find the thought that one poster feels women are duped to be a bit insulting. No one is saying anyone must wear these products. They say they wear them and love them. It's a personal choice.

I thought you were supposed to throw away cosmetics that were over a year old, I thought they "went off". Does anyone know for sure?

Maybe things have changed again....I heard this about 5 years ago!

I've read this somewhere, but don't know where. Things like eyeliner and mascara have a short shelf life. That's because bacteria grow in the containers. Perfume also has a short shelf life.

Eyeshadow, powders, lipstick etc are not as good a growth medium. If you use brushes on the powder stuff and keep them clean then they last a long time.

Lipstick, as long as it does not smell off or is grainy is fine.

Mascarra and eyeliner should be replaced every three months. Nail polish, tightly closed, is good forever.

Archived