This Chanel Eyeshadow thing....

I have found the us women get sucked into a whole lot of stuff we don't need, I read a great book called "Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me". It talks about the drugstore equivalent off all the expensive things we think we need.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/bulletin/bb.asp?type=0805

Check out this link, its very interesting. The woman's name is Paula Begoun, and after I found out about her, I don't buy salon hair products, and stuff like that anymore.

An interesting read!!

I have the book and I have read it and even enjoyed reading the book, but I don't feel "sucked" into anything. ;) When I bought the makeup, they told me to bring anything back that I didn't love. I am not shy about taking things back when I am not happy with them. In fact, I did take a few things back and was met with a smile. I love my Chanel make up. I love makeup, period. I have tons of all kinds of brands of makeup and have several things that I use everyday, not only Chanel.

But, hey, thanks for your concern. :p

I have the book and I have read it and even enjoyed reading the book, but I don't feel "sucked" into anything. ;) When I bought the makeup, they told me to bring anything back that I didn't love. I am not shy about taking things back when I am not happy with them. In fact, I did take a few things back and was met with a smile. I love my Chanel make up. I love makeup, period. I have tons of all kinds of brands of makeup and have several things that I use everyday, not only Chanel.

But, hey, thanks for your concern. :p

To me it's like my nice clothes vs. the capri workout pants and Old Navy T-shirt I am wearing right now. I am comfy, but I feel as fantabulous as a door mouse. Sometimes I want to be a lion for a bit. That's when the good stuff goes on.

I have found the us women get sucked into a whole lot of stuff we don't need, I read a great book called "Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me". It talks about the drugstore equivalent off all the expensive things we think we need.

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/bulletin/bb.asp?type=0805

Check out this link, its very interesting. The woman's name is Paula Begoun, and after I found out about her, I don't buy salon hair products, and stuff like that anymore.

An interesting read!!

I don't feel sucked in to buying things I don't need. On the few occasions that I had "buyer's remorse", I simply returned the products.

I do love knowing that a drugstore skincare product is as effective as one in a pricey dept store, so CosmeticsCop is a terrific site. I love the RoC anti-wrinkle creme at about $15. a tube. I use drugstore shampoo but use a conditioner from Japan (Crede)that costs $30, but the jar lasts me a year and it's a great product. I also don't buy pricey dept store sunscreen products. I'm conscious of the ingredients it should contain to be effective, so I read labels and buy drugstore brands. Neutrogena is better than Estee Lauder and I don't need the cheesy "free beach bag" that comes Lauder gives away. LOL!

With moisturizing cremes selling for $400. a jar, I'm starting to feel laughed at by some of these companies. However, nothing can come close to my favorite La Mer creme which is about $180. for 2 ounces. I WISH I could find a less pricey alternative, but there isn't one.

My mascara is strictly drugstore brand and I give away the free ones I get with some Lancome or Estee Lauder purchases because I like my MaxFactor 2000 calorie one better.

However, when it comes to color products - eye shadow, blush, foundation, lipstick - for me, there's just no alternative to the pricey stuff. The drugstore brands can't be tried on and the lighting in drugstores in so harsh from the florescents, that it wouldn't be all that useful if you could. Also, I like the advice of trained make-up artists that give me direction in new ideas of color and application and I don't resent the higher prices of the products because it's paying for their services as well.

Too many times when travelling I've had to run into a drugstore to buy a lipstick or blush because I forgot mine at home and was so disappointed because either the color on the package had no relation to the product put on my face and/or the product simply didn't go on smoothly or it turned color in a few hours. Money thrown in the garbage is not money saved because of buying the cheaper stuff.

And lastly..........and no flames puleeze....it happens!!! When women pull their lipsticks out of their handbags for a touch-up, there are judgements made. Expensively and stylishly dressed women who pull out a Cover Girl lipstick instead of one from Chanel or YSL do go down a notch on the fashionable scale. Maybe this happens more in big cities and/or in corporate settings, but I see it all the time in ladies rooms and other places where women do their touch-ups.

The pricier cosmetics use better and richer pigments that are much more expensive. They go on smoother and blend better. The drug store ones use mostly talc for the powered makeup.

I find a few of the pricier make up brands to be much better on oily skin... The drug store stuff disapears in an hour or runs down my face. With the pricier makeup and a good base, I can get my makeup to last 8+ hours. To my its worth it to buy more expensive makeup so I don't have to reapply all day.

I am making a note to check out your Max Factor 2000 calorie mascara.:p

I have used Mabelline Ultra Lash for years, but I always willing to try new things. Thanks!

Let me know what you think of it.

I use the one that washes off with water, not the waterproof one.

Jane

Archived