New York Post

rrunner

I read an article in the Monday edition of the New York post - Cindy Adams reporting - that the QM2 was having engine trouble and is now in Hamburg for repairs. How can this be so - she left NY city at the weekend?? Is she confused with the QE2 maybe. She did say the ship was only 2 years old though.

I read an article in the Monday edition of the New York post - Cindy Adams reporting - that the QM2 was having engine trouble and is now in Hamburg for repairs. How can this be so - she left NY city at the weekend?? Is she confused with the QE2 maybe. She did say the ship was only 2 years old though.

It's simple, here's a typical hack not checking the facts. Swap "soon going to" for "now in" and you've something closer to the truth. ie. "QM2 was having engine trouble and is SOON GOING TO Hamburg for repairs" We'll leave the inaccuracy about the "engine" trouble to one side for the moment (there are no problems with the engines).

How do these people ever get a job?

Pepper.

I used to work with someone whose brother was a NY Post reporter. He used to say that the Post doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Don't believe everything you read (especially in the NY Post!).

The hearsay that I understand:

The QM2 is having a pod removed in May and it will be refurbished. Will have the pod put back in November. Both the removal and the putting back are being done in a German shipyard.

It doesnt affect the speed much since the QM2 at top speed or the speed it used when it used to make five day transatlantics caused too much pitching for the comfort of the passengers. So the QM2 was slowed down well in advance of the pod problem to a speed that doesnt require all pods functioning. The pod problem was discovered in fort lauderdale in January.

A possibly unrelated question: Does anyone know what is going on with the QM2 from June fourth until June 9th? I couldnt find out on the cunard website.

I used to work with someone whose brother was a NY Post reporter. He used to say that the Post doesn't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Don't believe everything you read (especially in the NY Post!).

What's the old saw?

New York Times- All the News that's Fit to Print"

New York News- All the News that Fits, We Print"

New York Post- All the Fits that's News. We Print!"

Karie,

who is not even FROM New York!

The hearsay...It doesnt affect the speed much since the QM2 at top speed or the speed it used when it used to make five day transatlantics caused too much pitching for the comfort of the passengers. So the QM2 was slowed down well in advance of the pod problem to a speed that doesnt require all pods functioning. The pod problem was discovered in fort lauderdale in January.

LunchCompanion - a bit of hearsay too far.....

• The QM2 has never run 5 day Transatlantics.
  • The QE2 used to run 5 day crossings - the reasons for dropping them include (much) lower fuel bills, increased onboard revenue and to save wear on the hull/superstructure. In addition, in the era of 12 hour turnarounds, (ulinke Queen Elizabeth/Mary, two day) catching up delays was a lot more difficult.
  • The pod problem was caused in Fort Lauderdale when it hit something.

All that said, as you state, the QM2 is still capable of maintaining her schedule on 3 pods - just without the extra reserve of speed she had on 4 - so delays will be more difficult to catch up.

Peter

Archived