Motion Sickness & Children

Dandy8

We're taking the kids on their first cruise this November (DD7 & DS4). I was wondering if any of you had a problem with your children being sea sick. I've heard children adjust better than adults but wanted to get some feedback. I'm going to talk to our pediatrician about what to give them just in case but I'd like to get any suggestions or thoughts on this topic.

Thanks,

Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Boy we keep running into each other everywhere dont we!!

Ok, YES check with the doctor!

We took grandkids at 18 months and 3 years old and then others at 10 and 7 with NO problems at all. The first couple of hours the ship is moving it is a little strange to walk for kids and adults. But after they got use to that, no problems.

Doctor told us that young kids dont have the problems adults do because their inner ear isnt fully developed yet. I dont know at what age it is fully developed. In 10 cruises I have only seen 2 kids that got ill and we had 30 foot waves and 65 MPH crosswinds. We were really rocking and rolling that trip!!! I have also been told to keep their tummies full, green skinned apples and ginger help without putting chemicals into them. I know dramamine or bonine come in a child dose, but they also make them groggy and they want to sleep for the trip. I have seen the wrist bands for kids too, no side effects from them. They work with pressure points.

But most kids seem to be so busy having fun they dont get sea sick.

I'm sure your doctor will advice you best. But bringing a few green skinned apples coulndt hurt, just in case. Although I have rea dposts that people had said the kitchen tries to keep some green skinned apples for requests by parents. So maybe it really helps. We never have had any problems , so cant say from personal experiences.

see you in a few months, right now I'm off to pack my suitcase and be ready to go tomarrow!!!

Kathy

Archived