The North Sea- what are the conditions likely to be?

bonni99

Hi- we are sailing next week on the Norwegian Fjords trip aboard QM2 and wondered if anyone had any thoughts to share on typical North sea conditions in May- should we be prepared for some rough times or might we be lucky and get a smoother sailing? In addition, has anyone any comments on Norwegian weather in May- is it very cool sailing amongst those fjords?

Hi- we are sailing next week on the Norwegian Fjords trip aboard QM2 and wondered if anyone had any thoughts to share on typical North sea conditions in May- should we be prepared for some rough times or might we be lucky and get a smoother sailing? In addition, has anyone any comments on Norwegian weather in May- is it very cool sailing amongst those fjords?

The sea should be relatively calm. Don't expect force 10's! As most of the trip is coastal you shouldn't feel many effects of bad weather. Summer in Norway comes far sooner than it does in the UK, by mid August they're starting to get ready for winter. Expect long days with moderate temperatures - you'd be well advised to pack some things like sweaters in case you get cool days but you won't need a duffel coat!

How far north does she go? If you're going to be on deck at 2-00am or later, looking at the midnight sun, then you will need a coat or something very warm.

The conditions in the North Sea can be very variable. I have been in a force 6 in August so really you will not know what it is likely to be like until next Thursday. The actual crossing days (Fri and Tues) could be interesting. The coastal parts should be OK as these are sheltered. In essence, be prepared.

If you are prone to seasickness you should:

Avoid obtaining a cabin in the front 30% of the ship - Any pitching is amplified in the ship's extremities (think of a see-saw)

Buy the anti-sick wrist bands - unlike pills, patches and injections, there are no drowsy side effects.

The weather will be the weather in the North Atlantic that day.

And it does change from day to day. We often travel on the 25 mile, Dover to Calais ferry route across the English Channel (part of the Atlantic), and the weather is utterly changeable!

The local newspapers and the internet will give you the day before's weather, and a forecast, but it is literally that, the weather from the day before. If you are on QM2/QE2 why worry? They are built for this voyage, and so just get your sea legs and enjoy the trip.

You could have almost anything in terms of weather on the North Sea.

As far as Norway is concerned, it's on the Gulf Stream so isn't as bad as you might think, but you will need layers!

We all look for different things (thank god).

I fully understand that suffering from sea sickness could ruin a long anticipated (and expensive) holiday. To be confined to bed unable to take full advantage of all that QM2 offers and long for dry land must be terrible. However, like those who feel uncomfortable (terrified?) when flying but still want to see the world, people want to experience ships and cruising/crossing. I hope they read all the information available here about choosing a cabin as low as possible and 2/3rds of the way from the bow.

I'm the opposite, I feel really cheated if I get a smooth sea, staying in a grand hotel for a week (or more) unaware (unless on deck) that you are afloat, would ruin my holiday! I'm looking forward to a real storm at sea, wish I could afford either the Queen Elizabeth or Queen Mary suites under the bridge (as high up, extreme port or starboard and as far forward as possible). That's my idea of fun! I'm really hoping that my crossing in September is not like a mill pond, boring. Fingers crossed!

Pepper.

Archived