Rotorua No 1 tourist destination upgrade.

KiwiIan

Te Puia [Formerly known as the Maori Arts and Crafts Institute or Te Whakarewarewa] which is Rotoruas most visited destination and site of the Pohutu Geyser as well as many other great things, is undergoing a major multi million dollar upgrade at the moment. This is due to be completed in October 2006 in time for the new tourist season. We hope it finishes on time. They are remodelling the main visitor services, cafes, rest rooms, gift shop and carving schools. It was certainly due for an upgrade. So any of you planning on a visit next season should benefit from these works. To know more go to their web site at www.tepuia.com

If anybody needs any more info on this or other destinations worth visiting in Rotorua or the Tauranga region [the ships port of call for Rotorua tours] then we will be pleased to assist. Regards KiwiIan [Tauranga]:)

• 4 weeks later...
And......if anyone wants to see pictures of Te Puia, you can go to http://www.thepreismans.com and see the wonderful sights Rotorua has to offer. You will also see interesting little tidbits like pictures of Kiwi fruit. Did you know that it doesn't grow on trees?

I am booked with Celebrity for their Aus/NZ 2007 cruise - and have just spent the last hour reading through your excellent review - thank you for posting this. I can see us following your itinerary almost to the letter!:)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
I am booked with Celebrity for their Aus/NZ 2007 cruise - and have just spent the last hour reading through your excellent review - thank you for posting this. I can see us following your itinerary almost to the letter!:)

Thanks!

Mikes review is really good to read, we met up with him in Tauranga and they sure had a full day of activities. Your cruise is a long way off so plenty of time to make all your plans. Pleased to help with local advice if required. Ian

• 1 month later...

Update on the changes at Te Puia [Rotorua's most popular destination], i called in late last week on my way back from a ski trip and there are certainly going to be lots of changes.

The date for completion of all the work is now looking like April 07, so there could be some disruption during the coming season, though they did inform me that all activities will continue during this time.

Bad news is that once its all finished the entry will go up from $28 pp [this is the rate from 1st Oct 06] to $50 pp. Wow, thats quite a hike. Lets hope the new work justifies this increase which will only really hit the cruise ships over the 07/08 season.

Theres lots of other places to visit in Rotorua and the region so dont let this put you of a visit.

Regards Ian [Tauranga] NZ

To kiwi ian.We will be in Tauranga in November 2006 (Statendam) and intend to hire car to visiit Rotorua. In view of the apparent work at Whakarewarewa Thermal area, is it worth visiting ? In the main we want to see the views and geysers. Not to concerned about museums or buildings. Any other suggestions to visit as well in area for the day.

To kiwi ian.We will be in Tauranga in November 2006 (Statendam) and intend to hire car to visiit Rotorua. In view of the apparent work at Whakarewarewa Thermal area, is it worth visiting ? In the main we want to see the views and geysers. Not to concerned about museums or buildings. Any other suggestions to visit as well in area for the day.

Hi there. Te puia is still a great destination but we just wanted to warn about the possible disruptions due to the work. The staf ahave assured us that they will try and minimise the impact but we think that may be difficult. We will be visiting Te Puia when the first cruise ships start calling here in late October so will be able to update closer to your cruise aftyer that.

If you want to see the geysers then Te Puia is still the best place and also good value as you can get a cultural show included [12.15 pm ] but you need to reserve tickets as on big ship days they sell out quickly.

Other destinations worth considering are Wai-O-Tapu but you need to be there by 10am to see the daily eruption. Mud pools and other things can be found all round Rotorua for free if you know where to look, thats the benefit of using a local guide etc. Try to find Kuirau Park in the city centre, thats gots lots of geo-thermals.

If you are Ok with posting an email contact on the CC we can point you to some more specific info, or just troll through my old posts and you will also see lots of info which you may find of use.

If we can be of any help please let us know. You'll have a great day but just watch out for some of those unique to NZ road rules.

Regards Ian [Tauranga]

Margie,

If you haven't visited our website at www.thepreismans.com, you might want to check it out. We have all of the contact information you are looking for included in the review, as well as pictures. We had so much fun in New Zealand that I am anxious to go back and spend more time there.

That is a big increase in the cost for the cultural center, but I'm not really surprised. For what you get, it is worth it. I am afraid that within the next decade we are going to see the prices increase dramatically in that part of the world. Right now, except for the airfare and the beer, the area is mostly affordable. It is still somewhat unspoiled by the rest of the world, and the people are so warm, open, and friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Ian,

Could you help us to plan our visit in New Zealand.

We will visit Tauranga for a day and we are interested in the Maori Culture (meet the people) and to see the nature (Vulcanoes?) of the Northern Island in one day?

What could you recommend for a day?

Any other suggestions are welcome to visit the area for the day?

We will also visit the Southern Island for 7/8 days. We think about a round trip: the Tranz Scenic train from Christchurch to Greymouth, the Franz Jozef Glaciers, Fjordland, Queenstown, Mount Cook, Christchurch.

Is this possible in 7/8 days?

We have two days for a Whalesafari in Kaikoura.

Hey Ian,

Could you help us to plan our visit in New Zealand.

We will visit Tauranga for a day and we are interested in the Maori Culture (meet the people) and to see the nature (Vulcanoes?) of the Northern Island in one day?

What could you recommend for a day?

Any other suggestions are welcome to visit the area for the day?

We will also visit the Southern Island for 7/8 days. We think about a round trip: the Tranz Scenic train from Christchurch to Greymouth, the Franz Jozef Glaciers, Fjordland, Queenstown, Mount Cook, Christchurch.

Is this possible in 7/8 days?

We have two days for a Whalesafari in Kaikoura.

Hi Moets

You can certainly see the local Maori and their culture if you visit Rotorua, which is a main centre for maori. Te Puia offers a great chance to see and learn a lot of the culture and history of NZ's indigenous people. As for Volcanoes, thats a little more difficult. Rotorua is full of geothermal sights and activities, though not any actual active volcanoes [though the two are obviously linked] To see volcanoes you would either need to visit White Island [an active marine volcano] which means a 2 hour boat trip from Whakatane or a 40 minute helicopter flight from Tauranga, or visit the Tongariro National Park, which is about 3 hours drive just beyond Taupo, a bit of a long drive from Tauranga.

Its probably best to just try and see the main geothermals and maori culture in Rotorua and not spend all day driving. A 7 ot 8 hour day tour to Rotorua will allow you enough time to do all the main sights, especially if you find a local guide and book for a small group of say 4 to 8 persons. Sharing the cost of the transport but having a small group to make the most of the time you have.

Re the south island, i think the schedule you have suggested is just about doable in 7 days or so, though you may want to consider booking your accommodation in advance if you are travelling at peaks times. If you are doing a return trip on the Trans Alpine then i assume you will be doing a self drive hire car trip? If you are just doing a one way train trip you will need to make sure of your car hire in Greymouth in advance as its quite a small town.

If you need any more specific info maybe you could post an email address and i can respond directly.

If im a little slow in replying its because i am currently in the UK for my sisters wedding on Sunday 3rd Sept.

Regards

Ian [Tauranga NZ]

Thank you Ian,

Yes, I've need more specific information.

Do you have a adress for me where we can hire a car in Greymouth or maybe it's better to start the roundtrip by car in Christchurch drop the car in Greymouth and return with the Trans Alpin from Greymouth to Christchurch?

Where can I make a reservation for the Tranz Alpin (one way).

Which hotels with a affordable price can you recommend.

Where can I find more information about organized tours doing this roundtrip? (The Tranz Scenic train from Christchurch to Greymouth, the Franz Jozef Glaciers, Fjordland, Queenstown, Mount Cook, Christchurch or visa versa).

The excursion to see the main geothermals and maori culture in Rotorua will departed from Tauranga. Is it also possible to departed from Auckland (there we have more time)? In Tauranga we departed around 2 pm.

Hereby my email adress:

doetsenmoets@hotmail.com

Have A nice time in England.

Thank you Ian,

Yes, I've need more specific information.

Do you have a adress for me where we can hire a car in Greymouth or maybe it's better to start the roundtrip by car in Christchurch drop the car in Greymouth and return with the Trans Alpin from Greymouth to Christchurch?

Where can I make a reservation for the Tranz Alpin (one way).

Which hotels with a affordable price can you recommend.

Where can I find more information about organized tours doing this roundtrip? (The Tranz Scenic train from Christchurch to Greymouth, the Franz Jozef Glaciers, Fjordland, Queenstown, Mount Cook, Christchurch or visa versa).

The excursion to see the main geothermals and maori culture in Rotorua will departed from Tauranga. Is it also possible to departed from Auckland (there we have more time)? In Tauranga we departed around 2 pm.

Hereby my email adress:

doetsenmoets@hotmail.com

Have A nice time in England.

Ok, will get back to you with detailed info by email as this is probably outside the scope of the CC boards. Regards ian.

Archived