Diabetic on a cruise

Cinderose

My friend is a diabetic and we will be on the Paradise this fall. My question is... since they dont have fridges in the rooms, can she request one to be able to put her insulin in? If its for medical reasons will they bring or rent her one?

Thanks

My friend is a diabetic and we will be on the Paradise this fall. My question is... since they dont have fridges in the rooms, can she request one to be able to put her insulin in? If its for medical reasons will they bring or rent her one?

Thanks

I don't know about the Paradise, but we were on the Monarch of the seas and one person in our group was diabetic and they brought in a little frig

for her. Our TA notified them ahead of time.

my dad is a diabetic- and didnt want to take a chance the refrigerator not be available and didnt want to give it to the cabin steward to put away incase he couldnt be reached.

We take a small cooler (one that holds 12 cans ) and the steward will kep it filled with ice. Just take a heavy duty baggie

I am a diabetic myself and an crusing on the Elation out out Miami 5/21.

I also have cruised three other times before and can confirm to you that your room steward will be glad to keep the insulin on ice. Carnival also has told me that you can leave your medication at the pursers desk to be kept cold and it has a person there 24 hours a day. They also will provide a sharps container to dispose of needles and blood check lancets.

Being a diabetic and cruising has been a very good fit for me. I really enjoy the selection's of sugar free deserts at the buffet and in the dining room.

I hope your freind has as much fun as I do.

Most insulin doesn't need to be refridgerated, just kept at room temp and out of direct sun. You should check the website of the drug company for details about storage.

And if your friend doesn't have one already, I highly recommend the insulin pens. Have fun!

I am so glad that DD's insulin does not have to be refrigerated after it's opened. Dr says that unopened in Fridge is good to expiration date. After it's opened, whether refrigerated or not, it's only good for 30 days. She's on Novolog and Lantus...I know other insulin's are different though. She's newly diagnosed, so we've not done a cruise with her yet, but them not having to be refrigerated really helps with any field trips/overnighters she goes on.

I am so glad that DD's insulin does not have to be refrigerated after it's opened. Dr says that unopened in Fridge is good to expiration date. After it's opened, whether refrigerated or not, it's only good for 30 days. She's on Novolog and Lantus...I know other insulin's are different though. She's newly diagnosed, so we've not done a cruise with her yet, but them not having to be refrigerated really helps with any field trips/overnighters she goes on.

My son is on the same types on insulin as your DD. He's been diabetic since he was 18 months old and he'll be 16 this Summer.

I don't know how old your DD is, but with our son, we have him check in a few times a day to test his blood sugar. If we're not in the stateroom, he'll write down the results and also how much (if any) insulin he had to give himself. Also, he uses both in the pen form and it's a lot easier to carry it around that way.

My son is on the same types on insulin as your DD. He's been diabetic since he was 18 months old and he'll be 16 this Summer.

I don't know how old your DD is, but with our son, we have him check in a few times a day to test his blood sugar. If we're not in the stateroom, he'll write down the results and also how much (if any) insulin he had to give himself. Also, he uses both in the pen form and it's a lot easier to carry it around that way.

Thanks... she's 12 (she'll be 13 in Sept.) She's on the pen forms now for both too. Just started the Lantus pen. The Dr. wants to move her to an insulin pump when we go back in July, so we are looking at those also.

I too am a diabetic. On our Victory cruise I carried a small cooler with my insulin in it. The cabin steward kept it full of ice at all times for me. I know that some insulins don’t have to be refrigerated but I feel better knowing mine is. Also don’t forget to take a container to depose of the needles and lancets. Oh and make sure Carnival knows about this ahead of time. I take along a note from my Dr. saying that I’m diabetic and what insulin and meds I use as well. Better safe than sorry.

No need to bring one... Carnival provides one on the first day which they leave in your cabin all week.

On the first night at dinner, I asked for whole wheat rolls and sweet potatoes, and the entire week our waiter had them on my table as soon as we arrived. ( The sw. pot. arrived with my meal). They were so accomodating! Make sure you fill in the medical form . My travel agent sent it to me and I faxed it to Carnival.

Have a great cruise, and keep exercising!

No need to bring one... Carnival provides one on the first day which they leave in your cabin all week.

You’re so right! They did put a container in the room! I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me….now I don’t have to pack one!

DH is a diabetic. We do not keep his insulin in refreg. Be sure to take extra with you. I broke a bottle one time and paid $$$$ for a replacement bottle. I was also told by DR to never to invect him with refrigerated insulin while it was cold. It should always be room temp. DH had a couple very low readings on ship. I called room service and they always rushed me orange juice to my room. I would not leave him alone in room while sugar was low.

DH is a diabetic. We do not keep his insulin in refreg. Be sure to take extra with you. I broke a bottle one time and paid $$$$ for a replacement bottle. I was also told by DR to never to invect him with refrigerated insulin while it was cold. It should always be room temp. DH had a couple very low readings on ship. I called room service and they always rushed me orange juice to my room. I would not leave him alone in room while sugar was low.

I would bring sugar items with you, i heard someone say that they brought tubes of frosting/icing with them, rather than have nothing to eat while you are waiting for room service to come with orange juice. Also I would be prepared for a diabetics sugar levels to swing alot more than normal on a cruise since the sunshine and more walking and activities could cause the insulin to burn off alot faster than normal.

Call guest relations and reserve one. I did that on the Holiday and it was in my room when I arrived even though it was the cheapest price room. Dont take no for an answer and do it now. When u board the purser will have a record of this. There will be only so many available so act now.

None of my business, but I am diabetic, as well as both of my kids. We are all on Lantus, too. Our doctors warned us that Lantus is only good for 28 days, unlike the other insulins we take. I would hate for it not to be working properly for you due to this. Cruising has presented no problems for us, except having snacks on shore excursions.

When you travel you may want to bring your own syringe box. We just traveled in April and our room steward gave us a USED syringe box for my duaghter's needles and said it was his only one. I didn't feel safe with it and have written a letter to Carnival saying so. The steward said he was told it could not be emptied till it was full. So I would bring my own to be safe.

None of my business, but I am diabetic, as well as both of my kids. We are all on Lantus, too. Our doctors warned us that Lantus is only good for 28 days, unlike the other insulins we take. I would hate for it not to be working properly for you due to this. Cruising has presented no problems for us, except having snacks on shore excursions.

I guess I should have said 28 days. Actually she is on the Lantus pen now too and she goes through them more often than that anyway. We just recently moved her injection from after dinner to before bed and it has worked more effectively that way. Thanks!!!!

When you travel you may want to bring your own syringe box. We just traveled in April and our room steward gave us a USED syringe box for my duaghter's needles and said it was his only one. I didn't feel safe with it and have written a letter to Carnival saying so. The steward said he was told it could not be emptied till it was full. So I would bring my own to be safe.

No, they can not empty them. Usually sharps containers have a locking lid (at least ones in hospitals do), I would have closed mine myself at the end of the cruise to protect the room steward.

Thanks... she's 12 (she'll be 13 in Sept.) She's on the pen forms now for both too. Just started the Lantus pen. The Dr. wants to move her to an insulin pump when we go back in July, so we are looking at those also.

Our DD has been on the pump since she was 9...now 13!! It is FABULOUS! And gives her a tremendous amount of freedom both on and off ship.

Deb

Our DD has been on the pump since she was 9...now 13!! It is FABULOUS! And gives her a tremendous amount of freedom both on and off ship.

Deb

Deb - I would love to find her someone about her age to "talk" to about this. Do you think your DD would be interested in being an email pal? Email me at cardsrangerfan at yahoo dot com if she is and I can give you her email. She's really looking forward to getting on the pump, but I think she's a little nervous too.

Archived